“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hale Koa Luau

Hale Koa Luau
2055 Kalia Road, Hale Koa Hotel, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
(808) 955-0555
Website
Improve this listing
Buffy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Having been to the larger Luau at Paradise Cove, it was really nice to attend this one. Not only was it significantly cheaper, but it was much more intimate, the food was better and the entertainment was a lot more fun.The host was absolutely fabulous, and really funny. The grass area was great to sit on and relax whilst you watched the pre show dancers and music. I would definitely recommend this show. The tributes to the military at the end of the show was quite heart wrenching, even though aimed at an American audience.

Melbourne, Australia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Kid-friendly luau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Hale Koa luau is kid-friendly, with cheap tickets for under 10 year-olds (< $10) and also a discount for older kids, an early start time of 5.30pm and pre-dinner activities. My kids enjoyed the poi twirling, getting a palm frond headband, ukulele playing, and seeing the coconut tree climbing and hula dancing on the lawn. The hotel is in central Waikiki, but still a nice tropical setting.

Just before dinner, two bronzed guys bring out the roasted pig. Get ready to rush to your table, as it’s first come first serve. The tables are placed lengthwise to the stage. We ended up at the back of our table on the lawn, and the kids and I couldn’t see much. Lucky the next table was vacant, so we moved there for the performances. The plated food was brought to our table. It did the job, with a selection of food for each course, including several meats and fish. Water was provided, with drinks available to order.

The dancers were enthusiastic and skilled, with costume changes for different countries around the Pacific. There is also audience participation for some dances. The young award-winning fire dancer was impressive. The dancers are available for photos at the end of the night.

Note, this luau is held at a military hotel, so most of the guests are military and the MC recognises that. We felt a bit out of place being non-American, but it could have just been the other people at our table. We bought our tickets online, and didn’t have any problems showing the email at the entrance.

Visited October 2012
Sarasota, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Good Luau for the Money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Whether this is the best luau, I'm not sure, but it is a good one. Let's get the negative part out of the way first -- the tables are crowded. My wife and I were sitting on the the end across from each other, so we moved our chairs around to the corners of the table to provide more room. So start moving toward the dining area early so you can get the end seats. As for the positives, there are many. It's a relaxed atmosphere before dinner with several shows and demonstrations. Though not on the beach, the setting is very tropical and beautiful. I thought the food was very good and the portions were large with the salads and lomi lomi salmon served family style. The show was the typical assortment of Polynesian dancers. I'm not an expert but I've seen other shows and these dancers were on par with any other I've seen -- all were excellent. It was a full three hours, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fun Luau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We have been to several Luaus in the past. We enjoyed this one very much. The food was served, rather than the usual buffet, which I appreciated. The dancers were very talented as was the host/MC. This plays to a military crowd, so along with the Pacific Island songs were some patriotic ones. Overall a really fun evening.

Sydney
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Great Luau”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Hale Koa luau - we are not military but were able to buy tickets at reception - but a warning don't stop off to buy cold drinks at the hotel store after you have purchased your tickets - I reached the checkout of the store with my children only to be told I could not be served as I did not have a military ID - maybe a sign outside the store to let people know this might be handy - or maybe even don't be so anal - that said we did love the luau - beautiful garden surrounds and a fantastic show - Glen Medeiros famous for his one hit wonder of 1988 - Nothings gonna change my Love for you - is the host - and he was hilarious. Typically the luau food was inedible but you knew that already and were prepared to have pizza later
Tip - make sure you get a good table - ask the ticket seller to show you the map - the back tables had a terrible view and some were behind poles.