“Another fine stay at the Viking.” 4 of 5 stars

Up to 10% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 20 hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Another fine stay at the Viking.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have stayed at The Viking many times in the past. We stayed there last year around this same time. The hotel is in a good position for sightseeing & always nicely decorated for the Christmas Holiday. The staff is always friendly & helpful. We arrived early for check-in and the room we requested (the same one as last time) was unavailable, so the girl at the front desk chose another room for us that was basically the same, but it overlooked the Courtyard. We stay in the Newport Rooms which are larger than the Manor rooms. Our room had 2 comfortable Queen beds.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because of the bathroom which is small and has the Toilet & Tub/shower on one side of the entrance hall & the sink/closet on the other side. The bathroom is tight so it may not be suitable for a larger person. It was fine for us.

We enjoyed drinks & snacks while listening to the live music in the hotel lounge both Friday & Saturday nights. The lounge was crowded as there were weddings going on in the function rooms & after the weddings some of the guest came in to have a drink. I enjoyed seeing the wedding guests all dressed up.

We walked to Bowen's Wharf to listen to the Carolers & to witness the tree lighting ceremony. Santa & Mrs. Claus came by boat to The North Pole Building to greet the kids. We also visited one of the 3 Mansions that are decorated for Christmas. Then we went to Rough Point, one of the homes of Doris Duke. Be aware that the furniture was covered for the Winter so this tour is limited.

We also recommend The Brick Alley Pub. It is usually crowded so expect a wait. The parking at the meters is free at this time of year. Also, there is free parking adjacent to the Visitor's Center.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Your description of Christmas time in Newport is so inviting, that when anyone reads your comments it might just entice them to come to Newport to see for themselves our delightful it really is here. It is a great time of year. Thank you for staying with us and hopefully you will make this your annual visit.

909 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Vernon, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in December 2012. I read the reviews others have posted online as well and concur with some of the points that they made. First when we arrived at the hotel, the valet parking is $15. I don't think that is too bad considering it is Newport. Check in was fairly easy. The staff seemed friendly but when I inquired about an upgrade for our room, we were told it was an extra $50-$100 a night ( I thought it was less online but perhaps I was mistaken.) The room itself was very small. Honestly, one of the smallest hotel rooms I have been in. The bathroom had what I would define as the smallest sink I have ever seen. It wouldn't have been a problem but there were no shelves or anything to put your toothbrush or toiletries on. I literally had to open the shower door to allow myself enough arm room to blow dry my hair. The room was nicely appointed however and did appear clean. The other complaint that I had, as another writer had commented, is the blind situation. The room gets very bright early in the morning due to the blinds. This could be easily resolved by hanging curtains that cover the spaces in the windows where the sun light comes through so I was surprised that was a issue. The noise level was also a consideration. The room next to us had someone come back late at night and we could hear them like they were in the room next to us. Luckily they went to bed pretty soon thereafter but if they had been up all night that could have been an issue.

We did go to the pool, which was very nice. Good water temperature and it was clean. I also liked the pool furniture that was in the area. The fitness center was nice, and all the equipment was clean and functional so that was great! The one thing that I will say stands out about this hotel was the staff. You can have a great hotel and horrible staff, or you can have an average hotel and great staff ( which I felt was the case here ). The valet service was great, and at breakfast, I went to get my daughter a bagel and the man saw her and said, "oh, its fine, just help yourself to one, no charge." The hotel is also decorated for Christmas so they have the Christmas trees up which are very nice, I took a picture of my daughter in front of the tree and one of the staff members came over to ask if I would like to be in the picture with her. Everyone that I met there had a smile on their face and that is why I would likely return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you for the compliments about all of the Hotel Viking Associates you met while staying with us recently. We are pleased you had a pleasant stay and the attitude of all of our staff is a strong factor in deciding if you will return to visit in the future.
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I reserved my room through naming my own price on Priceline several months ago. Got the room for $80/night which I feel is a total steal given the hotel's central location to Thames Street and Broadway. Hotel Viking is a nicely appointed older boutique hotel but beware that rooms can be a bit noisy. Our room was #208 and we heard loud music coming from the lounge below us until midnight each night. I can't really complain considering the deal I scored on Priceline but if I had paid full price for the room and had to listen to the loud music below me I wouldn't have been so happy.

Skip the expensive parking fee the hotel charges and park your car on Kay Street directly across from the hotel for free. Also, if you don't want to pay $20 for the hotel breakfast buffet, walk 5 minutes to the Corner Cafe on Broadway. Excellent food at a fair price. Try the Vermont omelet - it was fantastic!

Room Tip: The hotel is 5 or 6 stories tall. I'd advise getting a room on the upper floors in case live mu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
mmalloy, Exec, Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We are so pleased you were able to find such a great rate through Priceline’s name your price bidding program. What a terrific way to find the best deals around! We agree we are in an excellent area for visiting all the fun areas in town. Thank you for your comments. We do address all of our guests comments and yours have been discussed as to what is in the best interests of our guests
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful atmosphere. Well appointed room. My room was small but very cozy, maximized the use of the allotted space. Very friendly and helpful staff. Bed was very comfortable. Concierge was very accommodating.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very appreciative.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We only stayed one night in the off season but it was lovely. Quick and easy checkin, beautiful room and helpful staff. Affordable rates off season whereas summer is prohibitive. Breakfast in hotel fine but not great, convenient. Walk down to the waterfront and have lunch or dinner at the moorings and try their bag of doughnuts (savory)...excellent!

• Stayed November 2012
We are pleased you were able to stay with us recently. It is always a pleasure to know our guests had a memorable experience staying with us.
Monroe NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just got back from a Holiday Weekend at the Hotel Viking. We have been to Newport several times prior, however, this is by far the best hotel that we have stayed in. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. It is absolutely beautiful, filled with much charm and character. We were lucky enough to be there while the hotel was being decorated for Christmas. We found four trees throughout the lobby area and downstairs, each was more beautiful than the next. The rooms were spacious and neatly kept., and the furnishings were absolutely beautiful. The bedding was gorgeous and the beds themselves were so comfortable, loaded with many big fluffy pillows. Which usually for me, hotels never give you enough, but the Viking gave you plenty. The bathrooms were nicely furnished and spacious, the sink was in a separate wash area. Every staff member that we encountered throughout our stay was not only friendly, but professional and went above and beyond. We absolutely loved this hotel and cannot wait to return to Newport again soon. We will definately be staying there again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
mmalloy, Exec. Admin. Asst. at Hotel Viking, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We are all most appreciative of your wonderfully warm description of the Hotel Viking. The room décor and luxuorious bedding has been well thought out by the designers hoping to achieve the ultimate comfort in our guests’ rooms. It is great that you were able to view the holiday decorations being put up to add to the festive atmosphere. Thank youi again and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Another business trip to Newport RI and yet another, no surprise welcome at the Viking. My preferred place to stay while in this lovely part of the State. Room quality and service is second to none. Prices more than acceptable. If you travel alone or with the love of your life, highly recommend it. Ask for a suite upgrade if available in the "old part" of the property. Charming. Period.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite upgrade !!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
You have captured it!! This is what we always hope for in our guest services – that our returning guests have another pleasing experience and plan to return again! Thank you.

Been to Hotel Viking? Share your experiences!