“Average at best” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Newport
RI
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel has a great location and that is about it. I stayed here for business and found the hotel to be outdated and in desperate need of renovations. I personally would never stay here again if I had to pay myself. That being said, if average accomodations are something you are comfortable with, they do offer an indoor pool, central location to many attractions/restaurants and located on the water. I was just dissapointed with my stay, I had higher expectations.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your business stay. Aside from our nicely appointed guestroom accommodations with views of both Newport Harbor or Queen Anne Square, our property offers an indoor heated pool, sundeck overlooking the harbor, men’s and women’s saunas, concierge service, onsite restaurant Pier 49, and the best downtown location on the harbor, just steps from Bowen’s Wharf, area attractions, shopping and restaurants. We do feel these features make our hotel the ideal property in Newport for any occasion. As a fellow Rhode Islander, we hope you consider staying or dining with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Acushnet, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here for a business meeting which was held onsite. The accomodations for the meeting were nice enough. We also stayed for dinner onsite and I have to say that the food was wonderful. We had a private meeting room for dinner so I'm not sure what they have for a restuarant but I was very pleased. Room was average - nothing special but no real complaints either. Well located in Newport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jacqueline O, Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We would like to thank you for writing a review regarding your business meeting at our hotel. We are delighted to hear your party enjoyed dining onsite. Alongside our food & beverage team, Executive Chef Agnieszka Richard recently launched a new menu featuring many specialty dishes so we greatly appreciate your positive feedback! We look forward to hosting your next event with us in the near future!
boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have stayed here a few times over the course of many years, recently again this month. For location, it cannot be beat. Situated on the water at Bowen Wharf, and smack in the middle of all the shopping, restaurants and nightlife, you cannot beat the location. The hotel itself is not exactly new, but has been perfectly maintained. I place it into the same category as I would a very good brand name hotel, such as a Hilton or Marriott. Its a very nice hotel. I have stayed here on and off season, and it has thus far has proven to be very good each time. Comfortable beds and linens, plush bathrobes, nice toiletry amenities, secured parking, gorgeous view, nice little restaurant adjacent to the hotel, a very nice staff and a stones throw away from all the goodies of the waterfront. Great hotel in a beautiful town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are pleased to hear that you have repeatedly enjoyed staying with us at The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina! It is rewarding to know that we could play a part in your very positive experience in Newport. We look forward to hearing from you as you plan your next trip back to the beautiful “City by the Sea!”
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I recently stayed at the Newport Harbor Hotel, and it was excellent. The location is perfect. The views were amazing from the room. The staff was friendly and attentive, it was nice to see a bellman waiting to assist with luggage for a change. The rooms were very clean, (bathrooms smaller than expected, but they were clean and towels were plentiful). The ammenities were wonderful, nice to have a Keurig in the room. Very please would recommend and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tervuren, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Ok. To be 15 out of 20 hotels in Newport and 116 in the restaurant standing for the attached hotel eatery tells the story. You can't beat the location for wandering into town but that is about it. Past it's best I was given a very small room next to the lobby. The Xmas piped music was still coming through the paper thin walls so I asked to be moved. Check in had already been an epic ten plus minutes- broken printer- so by asking to change rooms it was a full 20 minutes before I got to my room and I was the only one checking in! I had to pay to move- terrible customer service. I travel a lot and this is typical 80's hotel. Old noisy and inefficient air con, no safe, small bathroom with worn out gold fittings, dirty window sills, poor customer service and a hotel which in my opinion is relying on location. Breakfast was due to commence at 0730 so I had o o across he road to Starbucks- business travelers can't wait that late! You can't change the trip advisor ratings from fellow guests. Avoid. It will probably go bust if it continues on this trajectory. I have advised my company to blacklist it. Disappointing to say the least.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
schroeder01, General Manager at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
It is with great disappointment to read this review. While we are certainly proud of our location, we equally strive to deliver the upmost service and comfortable accommodations at our property. We apologize for the delayed check in and will ensure a smoother process in the future. During offseason restaurant hours, breakfast begins at 7:00am every morning, which we feel best suits the majority of guests. We hope to always exceed all of our guest’s expectations and we sincerely apologize for falling short during your stay.
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Overall the hotel was fine, but the breakfast buffet was lacking. Cold everything, even the water to pour over the boxed oatmeal was cold. Bagels were not totally fresh. Thank goodness on the last day the coffee was actaully hot. I tried using the Kurig in my room, but it didn't work. I had to keep the button pushed in order for the water to filter through, and then it was cold. The entire place should be renovated, the bathroom especially needs to be. Old fixtures, little space to put your bathroom articles. My bed on the second day was barely made up, kind of makes you wonder what was going on when I was away! Pillows were still strewn on the chair where I left them. However, the bed was comfortable and the room temp was adequate.

The staff was friendly, and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning your recent stay. We appreciate your kind words about our staff being friendly and helpful. Regarding the breakfast buffet and guestroom conditions, we always encourage guests to notify our staff immediately should there be an occurrence when something is not up to par. It is our pleasure to do whatever it takes to gratify our guests during their stay, so please do not hesitate to speak to a Manager on Duty the next time you stay with us.
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed at Newport Harbor Hotel for 2 nights... should have paid an extra $20-$30 a night to stay somewhere else :( Was given a room with a double bed! Two adults in a double bed.. The hotel does not offer queen and was sold out of king. Very frustrating. Additionally the rooms are tight, there is no continental breakfast, and the bathroom shower was cheap and uncomfortable. Spend a bit more somewhere else! The only perk to the hotel is its great location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina? Share your experiences!