“Worse place ever. Strongly recommend you avoid it” 1 of 5 stars

Pilgrim House Inn
123 Spring St., Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #41 of 99 Newport B&B and Inns
Tucuman, Argentina
“Worse place ever. Strongly recommend you avoid it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

All I can say is the inkeepers couldn´t be bothered if you never return.
Long story short: when you check in, they make you sign a piece of paper agreeing to be fined with $ 600 if you happen to loose a parking pass they give you upon arrival. Nobody verbally warns you of the importance of such pass, not even when you leave. They wait for you to go, and if they´re lucky enough that you forget to return it, obviously unaware of the penalty, they will gladly fine you with this outrageous amount. Makes no sense, unless this constitutes an important source of income. Because I´m sure people who have stayed there once never come back, and strongly recommend their friends not to go, not even by mistake.

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Croton on Hudson, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

Shhhh! Be very very quiet! I'm hunting for b&b's with the most wabbits! Aside from my childhood fear of rabbits damponing the trip, Pilgrim really has a lot to offer in Newport. For one, location, it's an easy stroll anywhere so park your car and forget it. It's very CLEAN, and very COZY. If you're looking for the B&B feel you'll get it. Some rooms might be a little too cozy for some being adjacent to other shared rooms like the lobby and shared living room, but we never had one problem with noise or neighbors or solitude. And with this location, what are you doing inside anyway. The rooftop should be fully taken advantage of. The panoramic view of the water and downtown newport is very relaxing and sets a good mood for the start of the day or a boost of night energy before you go out. Not to mention the free chocolate and sherry adding some boost. Newport in July was peak season and a very interesting crowd. You get the mix of Upper class Family in polos walking with their toddlers, to side stepping ready-to-pass-out college sophmores with house shares looking for the next bar. Still, Newport is a town with character and bunnies. lots of bunnies. Get ready for fun.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price in peak season was high but average with rest of b&b's in area
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on the local path, not the tourist path. Avoid the drunk college crowd. Do your research ahead of time.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Middlefield, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

My husband and I spend three nights here during the July 4 weekend, 2006, for our anniversary, and were very pleasantly surprised. The attention to detail alone in the house and the upkeep was so impressive that I would definitely go back there. It really was beautiful. We had a very comfortable double bed with a private bathroom, very plush towels, good room service, average continental breakfast served daily on the third floor served either indoors or outdoors on their patio overlooking the bay........very nice. Also, they give out bottled water for FREE which in itself is pretty unusual, and they have this great cooler on the second floor where you can refill the bottles. The place is VERY clean and within easy walking distance to all the shops and restaurants.

One thing, there are no televisions in any rooms. There is a big screen T.V. in the living room, and nobody ever seems to use it, so that should be enough anyway. The bed and breakfast is also on the "ghost tour". Supposedly, according to the tour, there is a 7 year old girl, Jessica, who lives in the house and comes out once in awhile. Some of the staff have said they have seen her, but I looked all over and she didn't come out for me!! My husband and I took the tour though, and it did stop in front of our bed and breakfast and told the story of Jessica!! It was fun!! The innkeepers seemed helpful enough, although I hardly saw them at all. They told us about a great beach, Gooseneck I think it was, and we went and it was really nice except for the seaweed.

They give you a parking pass for a lot on the next block and you pay five dollars a day for parking, which isn't bad. One word of advice, ask for a room that is NOT near the street if possible. The street is very noisy at night and it doesn't quiet down until very late. All in all, we had a great time and will definitely stay there again.

Bergen County, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

Cute B&B, clean, great location, friendly & accomodating owners....

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend getaway and had a good time. The location was
perfect...walk to restaurants, harbor, center of town - the only downfall was that Spring St. can at times be noisy and the B&B is located very close to the street. We had a room at the front of the inn the first night we were there and the second night, the inn was mostly empty so the owners told us that if we wanted to move to a different room, we could pick whatever room we wanted so we moved into a larger room. Breakfast was good -the breakfast area was really nice - deck overlooking the harbor. To park you either have to park in the lot around the corner or park on the street a couple of blocks away. Large TV in the inn's den otherwise, no TV's in room. The rooms were clean and cozy;bathrooms were rather small. We enjoyed our stay here and would return.

• Stayed May 2003
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

We stayed here for the 4th of July weekend. It was really a well kept B&B. The great part was that we got the room at a price that was cheaper than area motels. The room was clean and large enough with queen sized bed. The bathroom was a little small, but hey, it's a bed and breakfast, you can't expect that much. The owners were gracious and very helpful.

My only complaint was the breakfast. It was delicious with fresh pastries and bagels, but we were there for four days and it was the same continental breakfast every day. I wish they would have changed it up just a little. We would eat breakfast up on the deck overlooking the harbour. Just beautiful.

For the price and amenities, I definitely recommend this place.

Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2004

The location was excellent, right near the heart of the famous Thames Street. There was NO parking, though, and the inn sold passes for the local municipal lot. We found street parking, but it was a bit far. We had a nice room, so ask for the back room, if you go here. The bed was a bit crooked, and it squeaked but the bathroom, had brand new fixtures, and it was roomy. They had a nice breakfast, continental food, but no hot food, and no meats. My friend stayed at the Inns of Newport, and they had cooked to order breakfast. The upstairs deck was the best part of the Inn, and it overlooked the harbor and part of the town.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2004

I make it a point to stay at many Newport Hotels and this one was a recommendation from a friend who stayed here and said it was to die for. WEll I stayed here with my wife and it was okay. The house is very small and tight quarters. Its in a good location off one of the most historic streets in Newport. Parking is very tight, but they give you a pass to park around the back parking lot. The rooms are quaint and small and the furnishings are trying to be historic but go way overboard and almost look fake. It appears to be a historic house on the outside but I didnt see it. Afternoon tea was supposed to have homemade crumpets of some sort with sherry, instead you walk into a den and there is a tin of butter cookies I could have gotten at my local department store. There is guest books in every room that let guests write in about their stay. Breakfast was so so. It was on the top floor in a cafe style with small tables and opened into a deck overlooking Newport Harbor. This was the best part of the stay. Breakfast was mediocre bagels and danish. THe hosts want nothing to do with you and are kind of rude. I would look elsewhere if you wanted a good bed and breakfast in Newport. There are better ones out there.

Been to Pilgrim House Inn? Share your experiences!