“Regular Marriott but with a great location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Farmington, Connecticut
“Regular Marriott but with a great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have stayed at several different hotels and inns in the Newport area but usually go off season. We picked this hotel this time mostly because our other choices were either booked or only had very expensive rooms available. This is not to say the Marriott room was inexpensive. During July nothing is inexpensive in Newport. The one very nice thing about this hotel is the location. Any one who has tried to get into the Newport and the wharf area during the summer on a Saturday will know how crazy backed up the traffic can be coming off the bridge and into the wharf area. The Marriott is right at the start of all the craziness. This hotel has underneath self-parking or valet parking so once you park your car you don't have to think about trying to park it again. Nice walking distance to the wharf, shops and restaurants. Our room was nice. Typical of a Marriott. Very clean with a nice updated bathroom. Bed was quite comfortable. Our room unlike many of the rooms had a private french balcony so we did not have to contend with people walking by and peeking into our room as many have mentioned. We found the staff all very friendly and accommodation. Hotel was quite full (I think sold out) when we were there but we did not encounter any real noise in the hallways. We did hear the wake-up call for the room next to ours in the morning and a few doors closing but that was about it.

We had breakfast in the restaurant which has beautiful views of the harbor. Nice buffet or off the menu selections with fresh foods.

All and all we had a pleasant stay. The location alone may get us back there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a private balcony to the inside of the lobby area. Not one on the walkway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Milford, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel is located right on the harbor in Newport, within walking distance to shops and restaurants. On sight parking was so convenient and a life saver since parking in Newport is at a premium. Our room (as a Marriott Rewards member we were upgraded to a suite) had a perfect view of the harbor. The hotel is an older building but the interior design is in keeping with the area. Room was very clean and up to date. Bed was very comfortable. Service was excellent including access to the concierge room where snacks and breakfast were free. Definitely a great place to stay when in the Newport area.

Worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My trip was to a conference held at this hotel. Some of the rooms were dated but well laid out. I didn't hear a single gripe (outside of the fact that the place is huge) from any of our clients, My room had a common area patio which was nice since I knew some of the other people nearby.

The spa was very nice and the conference facilities were good as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Two years ago we stayed at the Marriott in Newport and had a wonderful vacation, while the room was a little small it wasn't anything to really complain about. The gym is fabulous and the location is great. This past week we visited Newport again on our way to Maine and stayed at the Marriott. They did not have a harbor view room for us so they upgraded us to the concierge level! This was such a nice way for them to accommodate us and was a fun treat. The concierge level lounge had a small but well done continental breakfast and coffee/ drinks all day and night long. The hotel is kind of pricey but we feel it's worth it because of the cleanliness, location, gym and overall atmosphere the hotel has.

Room Tip: If you are willing to splurge, concierge level is a nice treat.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The hotel was worn, not at all what I expected for a Marriott, especially when our rate jumped from $265 to $436 a night. It wasn't worth the $265, that's for sure. Let me start with the front desk. I went and told them that we were in room 607 and that the bed was horrible, that it sloped down, and caused me to experience back pain. I was disappointed, because at every other Marriott we've stayed at, the beds have been amazing. The response I received was: "We've never had a complaint about that bed before." This was from an older woman behind the desk. I looked to my right and saw another woman behind the reservation desk roll her eyes at me, like I was making the whole thing up. I was then told, "Well, we won't be able to switch you to another room with a king sized bed. Only doubles." I was so ticked off by their condescending ways, I said, "Forget it," and walked away. IF THIS woman had simply said, "I'm so sorry to hear it. Let me see what we can do for you." It would have been okay. But saying, "We've never had complaints about that bed before." Was ridiculous.
On a positive note, the women in the gift shop, where they sell Starbucks coffee, WERE AWESOME!
The entryway from the parking area to the hotel was dirty, including the glass. The elevator was worn. The carpet near the threshold to many rooms was worn. For the amount of money we paid, I was not impressed. Not one bit.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
Green Features: See above! The worst service I have ever received, except the wonderful women in the gift shop where they sold Starbucks coffee. They were incredibly friendly and helpful. They're the reason why I am giving this hotel 2 stars instead of 1.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear MilwaukeeWriter,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Newport Marriott hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced during your stay.

I am completely embarrassed by the interactions that you had with the two ladies at my front desk. You came to them with a valid complaint and it was certainly handled unprofessionaly. I will be personally researching this incident and speaking with the two ladies that were involved.

I assure you that incidents like this are not common here at the hotel. I am truly sorry that we did not me yours-or my expectations during this stay.
Fairlawn, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our road trip to New England. We were scheduled to stay at the Newport Marriott but checked out after one night. The hotel was somewhat remodelled but had a dated feel. The room was nicley appointed and clean but was not ready when we arrived. Our biggest complaint was that we were placed in an adjoining room next to party animals. To add insult to injury those party animals went back and forth with the guests on the other side of us as well! They didn't quiet down until 3:30 AM! In Marriott's defense, they did reimburse us for the 2nd night stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Visitor5643,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Newport Marriott. I am truly sorry that a neighboring guestroom did not comply with our posted Quiet Hours. As you know, Newport is an "adult friendly" city and we are within walking distance of many of the restaurants and bars in downtown Newport. Unfortunately, your neighbors too this too far.

Please aceept my apologies once again. I am glad to see that my front desk compensated you for the less than stellar experience. I hope we have the chance to serve you again soon.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Planned to visit Newport for four nights, ended up staying two. The king beds were so worn, my The hotel is in desperate need of a renovation with the rooms exhibiting excessive wear and tear. My spouse and I ended up sleeping in what felt like two shallow ditches on opposite sides of the mattress with little cushion. In fact, our feet were above our heads when lying down. As someone who travels for work and has stayed at 30+ different Marriott hotels across the US in the past year, this was the worst two nights sleep ever! The hotel is clearly geared towards tourists who are more interested in the location, rather than any hotel amenities. The public spaces, especially the elevators, were dirty.

Both the bar and restaurant were offering 2:1 specials which appeared to be unsuccessful as there were few visible takers. Newport has some great small and boutique hotels. I would highly recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
Green Features: There is nothing that the Marriott does out of the ordinary to promote their environmentally friendly practices. In fact, I was unable to find a recycling bin.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Kiki_Coho,

I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Newport Marriott hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns.

We are in the beginning stages of planning a multi million dollar renovation. In stage 1, we will be upgrading all of our mattresses and televisions. This renovation will encompass all of our hotel including our guestrooms, public spaces, and food and beverage outlets.

Our restaurant, Fathoms, is very successful with our two for one specials. It is a deal exclusive to this hotel where our customers can get one free entree with the puchase of another at menu price. This includes lobster and prime rib.

I hope you will give us another chance when visiting the Newport area, especially after renovating. I assure you that we will do all that we can to exceed your expectations.

Been to Newport Marriott? Share your experiences!