“Horrible Experience - Do Not Stay Here!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Warwick, Rhode Island
“Horrible Experience - Do Not Stay Here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

After saving up our Marriott Rewards points over the last year or so, my wife and I figured we would try to spend the points on a 1-night stay at the Newport Marriott Hotel for our 2-Year wedding anniversary. We were disappointed to find out that even though we had 27,000 Marriott Points, it still was not enough for a 1-night stay. However, figuring it would be a good trip, I purchased an additional 12,000 points for $150.00 USD. Upon check-in we were told that we could not get a room with a view (even though I had asked for one well in advance). Not a huge deal, so we shrugged it off and went out for a bite to eat. We came back to the hotel around 10:30 PM and decided to go to sleep. At 1:30 AM in the morning we were both awoken to the sounds of dozens of people running down our hallway. This was followed by more people above us cheering incredibly loudly like they were at some sort of a sports game. Remind you, this is 1:30 in the morning! I immediately called the front desk and they assured me that security was on the way up to resolve the issue. For the next hour the noise continued. It wasn't until almost 3:00 AM that the shouting finally stopped. Upon checkout, the front desk agent failed to ask me how my stay was and instead I had to tell her about the issue. She told me that "Unfortunately, there was a wedding party last night". All she could do would be to give me 5,000 Marriott Points (remember 1 night stay costs 40,000). The only pleasant experience we had at this hotel was with the bellmen who remembered our names and treated us very kindly. Besides that, we were not impressed at all with the customer service in this hotel. I was shocked by the hotel's slow response time to the issue and inability to ensure customer satisfaction. I would NOT recommend staying here. There are plenty of other hotels to stay at in Newport.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear jmp625,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at the Newport Marriott. I would like to apologize for the less than stellar experience you had during your stay. As you know, Newport is the destination wedding capital of New England and I am sorry to see that one of our wedding parties disrupted your stay with us. I assure you that our staff handles every complaint promptly and apologize that the noise lingered on during the evening.

I am happy to see that you found the service of the bellman to be kind and friendly. They truly are the best!

Thank you again for staying with us. I assure you that on a return visit we will do all we can to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Staff and service is just fine here but my complaint is not one that is readily rectified. We had a room with an INTERIOR balcony; I kept wanting to open the door and find out how cool it was outside but had to stop myself a couple of times. The interior space of the hotel is enormous and sound echoes throughout. So if you are trying to sleep and someone is having a good old time, you might not be happy. Other rooms have interior windows which is just plain weird. So be sure to ask for rooms that overlook the marina. In addition the noise from the hallways runs comes right through the doors, as well. Again, hoopla from some prom or wedding party will surely awaken you. Otherwise a fine, modern place with great HVAC, clean bathrooms and comfortable beds.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bryn Mawr, Pa.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I often stay at marriotts on both business and pleasure trips. I would certainly recommend this marriott as it is in a very convenient location and is a step above most others. The concierge as well as the other staff were excellent.

• Stayed May 2014
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

As a frequent visitor to Marriott hotels, I was surprised by this one. Following in the Marriott tradition, the rooms are nicely done, the staff responsive and the food good. The surprise -- a magnificent atrium with giant masts supporting full sails as the centerpiece of the lobby. Home to luncheons and group gatherings, it is also set up for the individual or small groups of guests to meet and talk in a more intimate way. There is a sense of being on a ship out to sea without having to leave the hotel. Guest rooms that face out onto the atrium may be a surprise if you are expecting a view of the harbor so be clear about your requirements. The "three and out rule" is strictly enforced so rowdy behavior is not tolerated. But this Marriott is worth a try when staying in Newport. The Fathoms is decent restaurant with a good bar.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Really great stay. Rooms beautiful, staff excellent, courteous and helpful. Loved my stay. I have never stayed at a hotel for a conference but I did this time. I've had an amazing experience. Food was excellent

Green Features: They have special recycle bins everywhere and the requests if you are staying more than 1 day conserve towels ... Etc
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a large and admittedly rowdy group. Out of 200 people who were being loud in the hotel, they chose to have police escort two of the only African Americans out of the hotel. Bear in mind that these were by far some of the quietest individuals in our group. This demeaning and inexplicable behavior can only logically be explained by the racial prejudice of the hotel's night manager, Mike, who was aware enough of his wrongdoing that he refused to supply us with his last name when we were filling out a formal civil rights complaint with the US government. If you want to keep a racist operation in business, stay at the Newport Marriott. Otherwise, book a room at the Hyatt up the road, where my friends had to stay after being kicked to the curb by virtue of the color of their skin.

• Stayed May 2014
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear MSF6452,

I would like to take this opportunity to address the feedback that you left regarding your stay with us this past weekend. I have already addressed this on your previous social media post on Yelp, however I personally apologize once again that you felt that Mike did not handle this situation to your liking. As you have stated, your group was extremely loud and was disturbing many of our customers past 1:00am. We have a very strict three strike policy as posted here at the hotel and unfortunately the room in question violated that policy. In fact, we had multiple rooms within your group that violated this policy and were asked to leave the hotel, not just the one you stated above.

I am sorry that you do not feel that this situation was handled properly. I am confident in the abilities of my team here as we strive to provide an enjoyable and relaxing experience for all of our customers
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We were here for a Rotary International District Conference. We found the staff all to be very friendly(always greeting you) and helpful. The room was very adequate with the basic amenities.Extra pillows were delivered promptly. Wi-fi was included both in and out of the room. The hotel is located in an excellent location in-town right by the water. It was a short walk away from all the shopping and most of the best restaurants.

Room Tip: Eat in the restaurants near the hotel. Much better options and prices.