“lost and found” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
RI
“lost and found”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed at the hotel a few nights ago and had a great stay! However I forgot my bathing suit in my bathroom when I left. For some reason the phone number in my confirmation email does not work. I have tried calling it multiple times from 3 different phones and it does not even ring. I have no idea what is happening, but I am hoping someone from the hotel can contact me from this review, since I did not receive a guest satisfaction survey either.

Overall the room was clean and comfortable and the hotel offers many services to make all types of guests happy. The breakfast buffet in Fathoms was excellent! Expensive, but worth the money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Greetings from Newport

I would like to thank you for your positive review. We do take pride in our service here at the hotel and I am thrilled to hear of your positive experience.

Please contact me directly regarding the missing bathing suit. I can be reached at michael.canini@marriott.com. All I would need from you is your name and the dates of your stay to see if the missing item was found.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Warmest Regards,

Michael Canini
Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Barrington, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We spent the weekend in Newport for the Newport Half Marathon in October 2013. The hotel was clean and comfortable but seems a bit overpriced along with a required 2 night minimum stay. The lobby also could use an update. With that said, we enjoyed our stay and it was convenient to be able to walk to the race start/finish and all around town to go to dinner and the shops. The pool and hot tub felt good after the race as well. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed at the Newport Marriott last weekend, for a little weekend get-away with the hubby. Booked online a few months ago, then noticed a slightly cheaper rate as the date got closer - called customer service and they adjusted the price down, no problems. Check in - quick and easy - I asked for a room with a water view (it's off season, so I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue) - she said there was one left (YAY!!). The hotel is large and clean, and the staff are all very friendly. We entered our room, which was a comfy temperature (it's winter in the northeast, so we were a little chilled after our 4 hour drive), and everything seemed in order. I went to the large window overlooking...a patio - and I could see the water in the distance. I was pretty disappointed, until my husband realized it was a sliding glass door - he opened it and we walked out onto the patio, and there we were, overlooking the marina and the Narragansett Bay - it was wonderful!!! (cold, but wonderful!) Great for AM pictures of the sunrise!!! So far, lots of big pluses in my book. The bathroom included a blowdryer, basic shower amenities, and had a 'rain forest' type shower head - not a huge fan of those - doesn't seem like you get enough pressure out of them. Also, the water temp was quite slow in heating up on Saturday night - but then again, the hotel was probably at capacity. We asked at the front desk where certain restaurants and locations were - they broke out a map and highlighted the routes (although they almost allowed us to walk to Ballard Park - we drove it the next day - would have been one helluva walk! I wouldn't recommend that!) But, the Marriott is centrally located to everything in Newport - and right next to the visitor's center (pop in there to buy tickets and get tourist info). I visited the fitness center about 6:30 AM on Friday, got on the treadmill, and was barely able to get a half hour in because the heat in that section of the room was so unbearably HOT! It had to be around 73*, which once you're running on a treadmill, is just way too much. The center is open 24 hours, but someone is only duty from 8 or 9AM until 5-ish. They have complimentary towels and headsets (you can help yourself to a towel, but the attendant needs to give you the headset - which I forgot, so I was out of luck - and they sell water behind the counter - but again, you need the attendant for that (I brought my own). We didn't use the pool or the hot-tub (I wanted to, but we just didn't have the time during our visit) There is parking under the building for $10 a day ($15 for valet) - in and out privileges... there is a spa on-site and I tried to get a last minute appointment, but nothing was available - if you want spa services, definitely make an appointment in advance. Bummer. But, I would absolutely stay there again, and I would highly recommend it. (PS - while we were there, there were quite a few large conventions - busloads of attendees coming and going), but we never experienced a problem...we also didn't eat in the restaurant - not sure if availability would have been an issue due to the conventions...but there were never "mobs" of people hindering our experiences...

Room Tip: Doesn't hurt to ask for a water view - although, we noticed a lot of rooms overlook the interior...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Greetings from Newport!

We are thrilled to hear that you had a great experience at the hotel and thank your for your feedback. Our location is truly superb as we are in walking distance to many of Newport's restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.

Please come visit us again soon.
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

A very satisfying stay at the Marriott. The hotel was quite crowded for the off-season, but the staff seemed to handle everything well. The rooms were clean and comfortable, nice veranda outside the room to look across the harbor and town. The hotel is located next to the tourist center where the tour buses and trolleys leave from and across the street from the baseball field, and just down the street from the historic area, can't beat the location. The service was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings!

Thank you very much for your positive review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay during Newport's off-season. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you this summer.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

This Marriott is in a great location with loads of nearby shops and restaurants. But, the fantastic service delivered by ALL personnel really distinguished this hotel. Service was top notch. ALL employees SMILED, offered their help and just delivered the ultimate feeling of warm hospitality. Yes, it's a great hotel with all the amenities - great bar/dining room, huge lobby/relaxation area, pool, hot tub and racquetball courts. But any hotel can provide amenities. The Newport Marriott provided top notch service, and I would definitely stay there again next time I'm in Newport.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Michael_Canini, Manager at Newport Marriott, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Greetings from Newport!

I just wanted to thank you for the great review! Our staff is truly focused on being the best hosts we could be. We are excited that we exceeded your expectations.

We hope to serve you again soon!
Southcoast, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We are loyal Marriott brand clients and pay attention to the categories of the hotels we stay in. Nearby Marriott hotels (Providence, for example) are a Category 5, and provide us good service at a reasonable price. That being said, I had somewhat high expectations for the Newport Marriott given it's Category 8 status. While the lobby is impressive as are the spa and fitness center, I don't see a major difference between the two afore-mentioned hotels as far as updates or service. I think the Category 8 designation is based mostly on the location as opposed to the perks of the hotel. That being said, it was a great stay with a gorgeous view of the water.

As far as our room, we were situated on the concierge level (7th floor). I assume this floor is automatically offered to rewards members if there's availability. While it was nice to be on the top floor, we were disappointed with the location of our room (hallways on both sides of room and a window facing the interior of the lobby. I was a little apprehensive about people walking by our room being able to see inside. We had to keep the curtains drawn the whole time to maintain our privacy. It was also a bummer that the concierge lounge wasn't open as we would have enjoyed unwinding with the complimentary hors d'ouerves and sauntering down for a late breakfast (again complimentary). I heard it's only open seasonally but the guest service directory says otherwise. I never did get the final answer as to why it was closed.

Some other quick notes: parking is not cheap ($25 I believe); there is a charge for wifi except in concierge floor; but the Starbucks on site is a nice touch.

I can see us coming back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Newport!

I would like to thank you for your review. You are correct in saying the hotel's location has much to do with it being a Category 8 Marriott Hotel.

Our 7th floor concierge lounge is open seasonally (April thru November). We do offer the same in room amenities in season as we do off season.

Indeed our Valet parking is $25. We do have self parking available at a cost of $10.

We are thrilled to hear that you will consider returning to our hotel. We hope to see you this summer!
Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great location, water views available and can walk to everything! Nice pool and hot tub. Rooms comfortable and very clean. Convenient parking underneath the hotel for only $10. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Water View (Room 548 has shared roof top balcony to walk out onto)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Newport!

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your great review. I have shared this review with my Housekeeping team and they were very pleased that you enjoyed their services and your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Newport Marriott? Share your experiences!