“nice hotel... great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Newport
New Jersey
“nice hotel... great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a travel agent and tend to stay at only Marriott properties when I can. We stayed there in July and you can't beat the location. It is great for walking around. We had a standard room that overlooked the pool deck and water which is fine. The one problem I had with the room was it seemed to be very humid. I called the front desk immediately and they said they sent someone up quickly but it did not seem to help. The hallways were cold but our room was hot. Not sure if we had a bad rooom or what.

Pakring in the garage can be tough if you come in late at night. Even though we were guests of the hotel there was barely enough parking, but we finally found a spot.

There is a lovely outside pool deck that had bar service.

We had a resrevation for a very nice restaurant in town but then we could not use it because we were running late. We reluctantly ate at the hotel and we were very pleasantly surprised. My husband had a lobster roll that he said had the most meat of any roll so far and my son had the New Engalnd Clam chowder soup and he said it was the best. Every where we go he has the soup and he said the hotel was the best so far. I had a fillet mignon that was a great quality of steak.

If you can get a decent rate I would recommend staying.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

684 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

A hotel is only as good as its personnel. With that in mind, the Newport Marriott is the best hotel ever. From the moment my friend and I arrived, we were treated royally by everyone, from the concierge and people at the front desk, to the staff on the concierge floor. The rooms were beautiful, the pool was great, the location was perfect, and the setting on the water was fabulous. The prices were very reasonable, including the restaurant, which had great food. The staff obviously respects one another and the manager ties it all together. When I return to New England, I will definitely go to Newport just so that I can stay at this wonderful hotel once again.

Room Tip: Every room is good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mystic, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the Newport Marriott for one night while visiting there recently. I had booked the hotel using Marriott Rewards, and for 35,000 points, which I consider a lot for one night, I was expecting to receive a nicer room, perhaps with a harbor view at least, especially since the hotel did not appear to be full at this time of the year. I was disappointed. I was given a room on the concierge level, but the concierge lounge wasn't even accessible or open so there was no advantage, and I had no view either! My other complaint was that the mattress was not quite firm enough, and was a little soft. The location of the hotel is great for being able to walk around Newport. This is a plus since parking is scarce and next to impossible in Newport even in October (don't even think about it in the summer!), so the parking at the hotel, even though you have to pay $20 per day for it, is a convenience. Unlike others who reviewed, I liked the lobby area and found it very nicely decorated. One other note was that the maid came in to do a turndown service while we were out for the evening, and she sprayed air freshener in our room, which it didn't need. I am allergic to perfume, so this presented a problem for me. The hotel should tell housekeeping to discontinue this practice. Not everyone likes air freshener! Overall, a good Marriott property, but pricey in comparison to others for what you get. I guess for all those points, I really expected more!

Room Tip: It can't hurt to ask for an upgrade. I wish I had!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
West Brattleboro, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed three days. Accommodations were great as was the food. Breakfast Buffet a Plus! Chef on hand to cook your omelets the way you like them! Beautiful views. Personnel from the front desk to the room and those in between was friendly and professional, including the gift shop.

• Stayed October 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

As a huge fan of the Marriott I have always choosen to stya at this particiular one during Winterfest ( 3 years in a row)

The hotel is average, reception is friendly..The lobby is a huge with a lot space to just sit and relax in-between. The rooms aren't as upgrade as other Marriotts that I have stayed at, and for the price I pay I would expect a little more but then again what I am really paying for is the location!!!
Decent gym and pool but what us the BEST part and why I keep going back is the location!!!
Centrally located across the shops and main street its easy to just park your car and forget about driving for the time your there.
I have been attending the Newport Winterfest yearly and will continue to stay at this Marriott due to the location!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The owners of this hotel chose to close the concierge room to their most favored guests for a week so they could take the room with the lovely view of the harbor for themselves.They offered no compensation for the services guests with access to this room were denied because of their own grandiosity. Concierge rooms in Marriott Hotels are designed, in part, for loyal business travelers that stay in Marriott properties frequently. The selfishness and self-centeredness of these owners should not be overlooked. Other meeting rooms are available for them to use. It's a slap in the face, essentially saying "We're more important than our loyal customers." SHAME ON YOU. You did it because you could.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
G'boro NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This large cavernous architectural monster is far too cold and impersonal to be welcoming and comfortable. One feels like they have arrived after the ball is over and all the guests have departed. Room and hall decor are bright, but a bit over the top with gold stars and roping amid a field of red and blue. Some of the rooms have fantastic harbor views that make up for other shortcomings. I'd love to see this hotel become a busy thriving destination with a popular bar and restaurant scene but an interior architectural renovation and decoration that brings it into the 21st century is sorely needed.

Room Tip: Harbor view 6th floor-650 is good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Newport Marriott? Share your experiences!