“Nice Renovation....interesting property.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
connecticut
“Nice Renovation....interesting property.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stayed with Hyatt in Newport a couple of weeks ago on a quick weekend trip for one night with two teenagers in tow. New renovations at this property make for a beautiful lobby with a contemporary feel and nice deck. Had lunch in the bar - two dishes went back to the kitchen -- food needs some work (saw other reviews with same problem) - nice waitress.

We booked the Captain Quarters ... be prepared to walk. For the larger room size Captain Quarters are set basically apart from main hotel. Past ballrooms, past the pool and into its own wing. To us it was a little creepy and made us feel like we were too far from an easy walk to breakfast and to grab a quick coffee, etc. Management should add some furniture/flowers - chairs, perhaps some music in the hallways etc. at Captains Quarters entrance and halls to make it seem like you're actually connected to the main property. If we go back we would choose to take the smaller room and stay in the main building.

That said rooms were spacious -- comfortable beds, weird bathrooms facing into the room, tried the "jacuzzi" bathtub (don't bother) - we had a view of the water and bridge which was beautiful. Front desk folks very nice. Pool area small with no bathrooms available to change in -- and a long cold walk back to the room. Good exercise room - we liked the touch of the cold washcloths in the fridge.

Breakfast with the AAA rate was good with a great view. Nice selection on the buffet -- lovely waitress. Seemed a little pricey if not included in your room. $21.00 - If I recall correctly. Overall, and ok stay but will probably return to Marriott for walking location.

Overall, the Hyatt on Goat Island was a comfortable stay. Enjoy.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Adirondacks, NY State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

We stayed at the Hyatt in Newport for four nights with our young son. We needed a completely nice place to stay, and this was certainly it. Their massive renovation at some point has made this place a gleaming, seemless operation.

Our room was modern and clean. The front desk and all other staff were completely friendly and charming, even with our little boy. The place is upscale though not pretentious. I imagine the place is quite a scene in the high season. We ate a few meals there, which were just fine, and we were surprised by the fun kids' menu with some organic choices. There is also a very small shop off the lobby for quick sandwiches or muffins. The bar is beautiful and open with a wall of windows from which to appreciate the view. The pool is very modest, but the fitness facility is adequate.

The place is not inexpensive, not by a long shot, even in low season. I suppose that's what keeps the place, and its guests, upscale. Charges are everywhere: coffee, business center, parking, Sunday paper left at your door, etc.

Excellent location for visiting Newport.

With so many places to choose from in Newport, this is a safe bet, for sure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
Thank you for the wonderful accolades from your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel and Spa.

We take pride in the service and quality that our staff offers to our guests and I was very happy to see that we were able to provide that level of service to you as well.

Our restaurant offers a diverse menu for adults and children. Our restaurant chef is committed to offering foods from local sources, including many organic items. As an added note, we will be adding a resort fee this summer which will eliminate the numerous incidental charges you mentioned. This nominal resort fee will include overnight parking, internet, bottled water, newspapers and a multitude of resort activities for adults and children.

It was a pleasure serving you and hope you return to The Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa very soon.
NJ Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

Thanks to Holly for upgrading our basic room to a 2 floor 2 room siute for our first newlywed trip! It made our rainy trip a little brighter. I love bargains: $87 p/night even with upgrade! FYI the price on website was better than any bargain sites. Newport really is a steal off season. We will consider coming back to this hotel next spring break!
The room: unasked turndown service with yummy chocolates! very clean, newer feel to rooms-no cheezy floral hotel bedspread prints here. Great view of main bridge(away from newport). two TV's, 1.5 baths. Wished there was a bath tub, but roomy stand up shower was still fine. comfy bed/pillows. small mini fridge and coffee/tea. elevator went right to parking underneath buiding. Quiet!!! Never heard anyone else from our room or even in hallway. Wished the AC went a little lower.
Fitness room: approx 8 cardio machines(elliptical, treadmill, bikes), free weights, balance balls, and a few machines that fill the gaps. Not too much for legs, but great for a hotel gym! Towels, headphones provided.
Pool: wished they had longer hours. Would have been nice to swim at 10pm since it was a very rainy few days and not much else to do. There was an incident with a little kid getting sick in the pool. Thankfully they closed it overnight to give time for chemicals to work. They gave us a 2pm late check out b/c we weren't able to swim that day and wanted to do so before we left the next day. Very pleased with how they handled it.
Weren't able to walk around grounds b/c of weather, but looked great from hotel room.
Location was great. Very walkable to downtown in warmer weather. We drove since rainy and easily found parking in all areas off season.
They dont offer free Wi-Fi, which seemed odd since the holiday inn express offers in all rooms. I had internet class online i needed to submit things for and needed to pay $9.99 for 15 minutes of work.
Overall, the amount of service we recieved for the amount we paid was fantastic. We have already recommended to a friend as a great honeymoon hotel.

Bryans Road, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Really enjoyed this visit. Staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Hotels amenities were really nice. Fitness Center, Pool, and Restaurants inside the hotel were very nice. Check-In and check-out was very convenient and speedy.

auburn, mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed here, after staying in many locations around the area, and here once before, and found the hotel to be wonderful! Just beautiful location, excellent service for any of our needs, and even a free upgrade to an unbelievable view & room!! We loved just walking over the bridge to the down town area, all went so great! would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I just returned from a stay, using Hyatt points. I had booked off-season hoping for a quiet, relaxing weekend with my partner. However, I was not aware that there was a HUGE St. Patrick's day Parade and Festival in town. Lucky me.
My Hyatt profile states "quiet room location" because, as a Travel Agent, I am constantly in hotels and from time to time my room ends up near a birthday celebration or a school sports team and it can lead to very long nights of no sleep. So I called the hotel to make sure they noted my request. I was told by Evan that the hotel was sold out and they would do their best to put me in a corner room on a high floor, but that they did anticipate some noise as there were a lot of guests celebrating the festival. Fair enough.
Suffice it to say, the hotel was full of college aged partiers who were drunk in the hotel bar (however the food and service was outstanding, given the amount of people squeezed in there!). Also I had to share the elevator with two guys carrying 3 cases of beer up to their room and talking about getting so-and-so "wasted". Does this sound like the Hyatt Regency to anyone?!?? Not me!!
I spent the night listening to the various doors in the hall opening to yells and laughter, the room next to us constantly trying to open the adjoining door, and the sounds of guests going in and out of the elevator. I honestly felt like I was back in my college dorm.
But here's where the "Hyatt" part kicks in: at check out, I was exhausted from no sleep and I just wanted to get out of this hotel. Amanda at the front desk asked if my stay went well. I told her about my negative experience. She was very sincere in explaining that they knew there would be challenges with the noise level and although they had extra security on hand that they did fall short in keeping things quiet. She was sorry they did not meet my expectations of an enjoyable stay. She made me an offer to rectify the situation, which I gladly accepted. All a guest can ask of management is that they make things right, when they go wrong. While I had a horrible experience here, her actions on behalf of the hotel will certainly have me take another look the next time I'm in Newport.
Final advice: give it a try as the island location is quaint, the rooms are nice and the food and wait service are above par. But make sure your room does NOT have a connecting door (you really can hear everything going on in the next room and that's not good!).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
JohnKarchner, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Thank you for your recent posting on “TripAdvisor”.

My sincere apologies that your stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport was interrupted by noisy revelers. St. Patrick’s Day is a very festive event in Newport and one of the largest parades in the state takes place annually on the Saturday prior to St. Patrick’s Day. The majority of patrons staying at Newport hotels take in the parade as an all-day event and while this event is very family oriented, there are individuals that over-indulge; thus the noise you encountered while a guest at our hotel.

I do wish to thank you for your very positive comments towards Amanda at the front desk. We are very proud of the way she reacted to your situation and we indeed train our employees to do everything possible to turn a bad situation into a good one. Should your travel plans take you to Newport again in the future, please contact my office directly and I will be most happy to assist with your reservation plans. Barring any parades in town, I assure you your next visit will be much quieter.

Best Regards,
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

The view was not what we expected but the friendly hotel staff and amazing stand up shower made up for it. Room service was priced right and very tasty! I would definitely recommend this hotel to just about anybody.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport? Share your experiences!