“Valentines Let Down” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Monroe, Connecticut
“Valentines Let Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We booked this one month in advance for Valentines Day through Booking.com. I upgraded to a king bed with water views. We showed up and they put us in a room with two double beds with a parking lot view! I called up front and they insisted I did not pay for a king room with a water view. I went up front and showed my confirmation showing what I booked and she just argued with me telling me that she was "trying to help me" but really all she was doing was making excuses how she did not have a water view or a king bed! Really?! She proceeded to tell me because i went through a third party (booking.com) that it was not their fault. She was full of excuses and stuff that is not my problem but theirs. She made me feel like i was second class because i went through a "third party agency". After I refused to take a small bed with no water view (over an hour checking in on valentines day) they miraculously found me the room I paid for. Which was crappy anyway. The hotels staff stinks - the layout stinks, the buffet stinks (the waitress and valet were good). I do not recommend this hotel - the layout stinks - the rooms are noisy and the staff is unaccountable and full of crap. I heard her telling others while in line excuses as well. Too bad they can't keep their word.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Keith C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
Please accept my apologies that you were not given the guestroom that you reserved. Again, due to the anonymous nature of these postings I cannot research this. Anyone reserving through booking.com does get the room type they requested. I cannot explain why that room type was not available at check in without being able to research the matter. We encourage guests to contact us directly with their concerns and we are empowered to do what it takes to turn the situation around and ensure guest satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the resort for a relaxing getaway. We would like to thank Paulina who went out of her way to ensure that we were happy with our accommodations. Paulina suggested a room with a balcony and a beautiful water view (for an additional fee). Indeed, this room really was beautiful and we enjoyed the view immensely. We would definitely consider returning with our family, though perhaps in warmer weather.

Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
It was our pleasure to assist you during your “relaxing” weekend and Paulina is a pro at recommending the perfect accommodations for our guests; we are so lucky to have her on our staff.
Please do come back in warmer weather; it is fabulous!
North Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We stopped here for a night between Christmas and new years for a great price (not much in Newport that time of year and the weather isn't great). The hotel was great. You do have to pay the old "resort fee" when staying here, but the room rate was low, so it was fine and allowed us to not worry about parking, wifi, etc.

The room was great and had a great view of the bridge. I really liked the bar/restaurant/lounge/lobby area and the layout makes the place interesting. The amenities in the room were standard, but I like the Hyatt beds/bath items a lot. The room was a little cold even with the heat turned up.

The indoor pool was old looking and not very clean, so although I was going to swim, I decided not to. The outdoor pool looked nice from inside, but it was too cold to try it out. The workout room was great--with towels, water, and even cleaned headphones if you forgot yours at home.

I'd come back here :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. Winter is also a great time to visit Newport, still lots to do but lesser crowds. My apologies that the indoor pool needed attention and you must return to try our outdoor pool, our guests love it!

Thanks again for the positing!
Newton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Being out on Goat Island gives the Hyatt a serious advantage over many hotels in Newport. We had a corner room with a view of the lighthouse out one window and the illuminated bridge out the other. The room was average in size but plenty big enough for 2 people. The room was clean but the on-demand function didn't work on the TV (not like we went to a hotel to watch TV though so it wasn't a huge deal). The staff was really friendly and the bartender (Patrick) poured us some delicious espresso martinis the first night we were there. The hotel did the best they could to make everyone staying there happy the second night we were there, since there was a blizzard and it was almost impossible to leave the hotel. The only thing I thought was odd is that the hotel restaurant said they were booked solid and could not take anymore reservations yet every time we walked by, the place looked empty. I heard other guests complaining about the same thing. I would definitely say valet your car if you go here. $5 per night (in and out as much as you want) and really quick service.

Room Tip: Corner room or highest floor possible
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
Many thanks for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. We also feel we have a great location! During the weekend of your stay we did experience a snowstorm so travel was very limited. Our restaurant that evening was staffed accordingly based on the number of reservations we had. However, due to the snowstorm, that number quickly escalated and we did not have the staff on hand to handle the number of people who wanted to dine with us because of the bad weather. We worked as a team and did service as many guests as possible given the conditions at hand.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments!
Coventry, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was the 4th February in a row that my wife and I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Newport. If you read all of my past reviews of this hotel over the last four years, you will find nothing but raves and 5 star ratings every year and because of that the Hyatt has always been the only hotel that we would even consider for our annual weekend getaway to Newport. Unfortunately, our 5-star ratings stretch has sadly come to an end this year.

The very positive comment is concerning the doorman who greeted us. He was VERY polite, professional and clearly exemplifies all of our previous good experiences at this hotel. Also the night auditor who corrected a problem we experienced was amazing as well! Unfortunately, those were the only positives we found.

I should start by saying that I am a person who LOVES to surprise my wife with a "wow" room with a great view. Last year because of that, I called in advance and spoke to Randi, expressing to her the importance of a really nice room as a surprise for my wife. Being that last year was our third year in a row at the Hyatt, Randi even upgraded us to the Commodore Suite (Room 3308). WOW!!! Randi was absolutely wonderful but unfortunately she is no longer employed there.

Now please understand that I'm not one of those customers who expect upgrades whatsoever and I REALLY do appreciate them if and when I do get one. I know that last year was WAY more than I had hoped for and I certainly did not expect the same thing this year at all. However, when I checked in, the couple in front of me was told by the desk clerk that since this was their SECOND time there, they would receive a FREE upgrade. I was SO confident after hearing that since this was our FOURTH year in a row there plus I'm a Hyatt Gold member as well and the couple in front of me was not. When it was my turn, she told me that we too would get an upgrade (to a bi-level suite) but I later found out that they CHARGED me for the upgrade and the only reason I received the upgrade was when I booked the room online I had indicated that I would be interested in an upgrade upon check-in if one was available for an upgrade fee. However, after the couple in front of me got a FREE upgrade for their SECOND time there (and not Hyatt Gold members), I naturally expected to receive more than they did with no charge also. Well, sadly that never happened and it cost an additional $28 for the upgrade.

Then, to make things worse, the girl at the front desk wrote the wrong room number on the room’s cardkey jacket so when we got all the way up to the room, naturally the cardkey did not work. So much for the "wow" factor when entering the room since we couldn't even get into our room to begin with. So I walked the long walk all the way back down to the lobby (while my wife stayed there sitting on the floor in the corridor by our room with our luggage). The same girl didn't even check to see what the correct room number that I had been assigned was, she just reprogrammed that same incorrect room number that had been written on the cardkey jacket to 2 new cards and sent me on my way again. When I opened the door, I saw that it was NOT a bi-level suite that I was promised so I called down to the front desk only to find that they had given us the wrong room! It's a good thing that there wasn’t someone in the incorrect room that we could have walked in on!

So off I went on my SECOND unnecessary long walk back down to the lobby with my wife still sitting on the corridor floor. After telling them that I had entered the wrong room because of their mistake, I only received a half-hearted obligatory apology and that was it. REALLY? Once again, this was our FOURTH year in a row staying there, plus we are Hyatt Gold members and we still got nothing to compensate us for our nightmare arrival including the 2 unnecessary trips back down to the lobby while my wife had to wait for me sitting in the corridor with our luggage? Our annual getaway had been severely affected at this point and I was NOT happy whatsoever!

And as if all that wasn't bad enough, after I arrived home the next night and checked my credit card statement online, I found a strange $134 charge on my credit card. This was in addition to my room charge of $255 (which also included my food and beverage charge in the lounge). I called immediately and spoke with a VERY nice night auditor. After she very professionally and efficiently checked into the charge, she told me that during my checkout, the desk clerk somehow put someone else's room charge on MY credit card. By the transaction’s time stamp, it was found to be the person behind me in line when I checked out! SERIOUSLY? That is totally unacceptable and is a dangerously HUGE mistake when it involves a guest's credit card. How did she charge the other guest's room charge to my card without swiping my card again? I am now watching my statement VERY closely and suggest that you do the same as well.

I am very saddened that last weekend’s experience at the Hyatt have changed my opinion about what used to be the only hotel we’d ever stay at in Newport but sadly we’ll be trying a different hotel next year. It’s really too bad because the Hyatt has always been our tradition each year and now we must start all over again somewhere else.......

Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
First of all let me say thank you for your compliments towards our doorman and night auditor. I know they were listed in the positive points of your stay and needless to say I am very disappointed to read the chain of events that occurred at check-in. Because these responses are anonymous, I am unable to track down who checked you in and unable to review your folio for any additional information. I can only apologize for the many ways we failed to meet your expectations and reiterate how important it is to speak with a manager prior to departure so we can make a bad situation RIGHT!

I assure you we do a much better job in servicing our guests and I hope you give us another chance in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great housekeeping thanks to Digna. Erin at front desk was very helpful. All bellman were exceptional. Especially David whom took pride in sharing his knowledge of the downtown area. Suzette in the restaurant was warm, friendly and outstanding with her service along with Mavelyn and Luis. Spensor and Harydee were also very friendly and curious in the restaurant. Scott restaurant supervisor gave us special attention at dinner which was very much appreciated.

The low points were low Internet band with and no android phone connectivity. Cold room no matter how high the thermostat was raised. Dinner experience was poor. Waitress dumped bread on my date and was not attentive. Scallops appetizer was horrible and NY Strip was all fat. Finally, little Valentine's activities on property.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
Thank you for your recent posting following your Valentine’s weekend visit. I certainly appreciate you commenting on the positive aspects of your stay and also appreciate your feedback on the “not so good” portion of your stay. Good news is that we are upgrading our internet services and should be completed soon. With regards to the cold temperatures, I know the weekend of your visit was bitterly cold in Newport and keeping many areas warm was a challenge, especially on an island location. Your comments concerning dinner will be shared with our Restaurant Manager, I am sorry for the disappointment.
Milford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is the third year that our group (~110 people) have stayed at the Newport Hyatt. Upon checking in, we found out that the mixology class that usually occurs was only happening in the summer. Someone in the group mentioned it to the GM, Bob Lacasse, and on Saturday night, a special cocktail (with a recipe) was available to the group after dinner! He checked in several times with our event coordinator to see how things were as well as a few times came in with some candy for the group….another nice touch! The food during our stay (ice cream buffet, two breakfast buffets, boxed lunch, dinner buffet and a couple beverage/snack breaks were on time and very good. They even were able to make a few items custom for a couple that were not feeling well/had dietary issues.

All the staff we encountered were very hospitable, from 6am till late at night…..everyone would say “good morning or good evening”. Many of the guests had lots of bags and the staff was very helpful getting the bags to where the needed to go.

The yoga class was available both Saturday and Sunday at 9am. We used the gym both days and found the equipment ample for our workouts (a few ellipticals, bikes and treadmills, along with some nautilus equipment and weights)

Our room was in the tower this year (Room 513) facing downtown Newport. Again the room was nicely refreshed but the only down side was the size of the bathroom, along with the lack of venting. Not an issue for the two of us, but if a family staying, it could be a bit cramped.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear TripAdvisor Guest~
Thank you for the fabulous review! Feedback like this just confirms that our staff is the best ever, starting with our General Manager who is very hands on and is very focused on customer service! It would be our pleasure to have your group back next year and thank you again for the great comments.

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport? Share your experiences!