“Great location on the water” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Massachusetts
“Great location on the water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

First time at the Hyatt Regency in Newport and if you like water this is the place to stay. We had a king bed with water view. Glass was dirty and half the view looked down on roof. Room was very clean, modern and just the right size. Staff was superb, friendly and on thier game. Exterior was gorgeous with small restaurant outside which was great at sunset. Every sunset they shoot off a canon to celebrate the day. Chairs out side along the grass as you looked out over the bay. I thought this was "perfect" as you could chill with a drink and watch boats go by. Bar inside nice and comfy with hotel prices.
Breakfast cannot be beat for the buffet at 19.00 each which includes coffee and juice. A great selection and anything you would want is available.
We booked this room 3rd week of July and it fir the bill perfectly. Shuttle to town every 30 minutes. Lots of big yachts, shopping and restaurants. It was awesome.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Recently booked the hotel for a short two night stay and wished we could have stayed longer.
Paulina at the reception desk was extremely helpful in getting us a room that was just wonderful.
The location and whole facility is above average. The breakfast buffet was exceptional. We also ate at Pineapples by the pool and the clam chowder was super. For dinner reservations Trudy at the concierge desk was extremely helpful not only in making reservations but also on recommendations. She is a bundle of knowledge about Newport. In the process of planning our next visit for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Book bay side in Captains Quarters
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
san clemente, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here during Newport Jazz Festival. As many reviews my stay was kind of up & down.
Pros: Location is great
Views from rooms are really magnificent
The lobby area and deck were very beautiful
The fitness center had tons of equipment
Food in restaurant was good
Cons: Rooms REALLY NEED UPGRADE!. Carpeting and window coverings are really "beat up"
Thin towels
Lights not working and no one came to repair
Service was really up & down. Daytime staff was very friendly and helpful. when the sun went down, so did the service. Really indifferent.
This was like staying in a budget hotel. At ~ $400 a night you expect a lot better rooms and service.
If I come back to Newport, I'll stay elsewhere

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We almost booked a room through the hotel, but changed our mind at the last minute to take our chances on a "top secret room" with Travelocity. Saved a substantial sum and we had fun high giving when we learned that we ended up at the Hyatt. At check in we were told that our party of four would only have one bed. When I let them know that we booked the room for two adults and 2 children, she told me she couldn't do anything since they were completely booked and what did I want her to do? I showed her my reservation and told her I would not be putting all four of us in a king bed, so she would have to figure it out. As soon as she finished paging the manager, she realized our room had a king bed and a queen sleeper sofa, "would that do?" Yes! So a shakey start but that was the only real issue.
Wonderful room, gorgeous view of the ocean. Didn't mind the sound of the seagulls at all!
$35 resort fee included wifi, parking and shuttle to the wharf. Well worth it. Outdoor pool was nice, drinks were fine, fire pit at night was fun. All in all, we found a deal, loved the location and the hotel. Would go back if I could get the same great deal!

• Stayed August 2013
Weston, Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went here very last minute. The hotel was nice and clean and convenient. The view far exceeded my expectations. The bar was fun and lively. It was a good value and I would stay here again. I would prefer a beautiful smaller hotel, but this was completely fine and the staff was nice and gave us a great rate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was not our first choice, but for a last minute booking it was very nice. The location is great, they have very nice amenities (bikes to use, a pool, restaurant, fitness, etc on site). I can see why a lot of families choose this place. There are two big fields for kids to play on (one that allows parents to sit at a table just above and enjoy a cocktail!) We were looking for something a bit different, but still were not disappointed. We were impressed by the view in our room (1320), but when the service elevator starting chiming at 6am, we would have given up the view of the lighthouse for an hour or two of more sleep. A bit pricey on the weekend we went, butt still a good stay overall.

Room Tip: Room 1320 (and I would assume any on that line) is a bit close to the elevator. Great view - bring e...
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed July28--August1 While there developed a Gastro-intestinal problem. (not from hotel) One of the doormen,Scott Domiano,who had shown us to our room the day before while telling us all the amenities of the hotel and answering our many questions about Newport and where to go and restaurants saw that I did not feel good. He escorted me back to my room and offered to get me some ginger ale.
Later that evening I got out of bed and went down to the outside deck hoping a change of scenery would help me feel better. Since I am diabetic and needed some food I explained my predicament to our waiter who bought me some grilled chicken and potato fingers. I ate little and when I left he bought me 3 packages of oyster crackers and a quart of ginger ale..I wish I had gotten his name but am very grateful to him.
The staff was very professional and caring having gone the extra mile for me.The staff itself is reason enough to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport? Share your experiences!