“Not Hyatt standards. Beware of double charges” 2 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Meriden, Connecticut
“Not Hyatt standards. Beware of double charges”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband. We love Newport and travel here often but have never stayed at the Hyatt before this trip. We arrived at 12:30 and the lobby was packed, we were told there were 2 weddings that night and the check in line was out of control. Our room wasn't ready so we stored our bags and took the shuttle to town. (shuttle runs every half hour to Bowens wharf) 10 minutes after we left they called to say our room was ready so we had a few drinks and headed back to unpack. Our waterview room was manly a view of the parking lot with a slight view of water. But the biggest problem was our room was right next to the ice machine. The ice machine isn't in a separate room like every other hotel I've stayed in, it was right outside our door (not joking, room 606) within 5 minutes we got to hear the ice machine in full effect and it was so loud. I went down and asked to be moved to a room away from the ice machines. The girl at the desk was pleasant but told me that since I booked through a 3rd party, Expedia there wasn't much that could be done for us so she waived one night resort fee ($35) and told me to come back in the morning. I was made to feel like a low life with booking through a 3rd party, i chose YOUR HOTEL why does it matter how i booked? The room was very clean and modern but very crammed with furniture. You could barely open the blinds because a desk and couch were standing in your way. And the walls are paper thin. I heard all my neighbors normal toned conversations. The next morning we were moved to a room one floor up and a few rooms down from the ice machine (709) this room was the same layout but I actually saw water and it wasn't as full of furniture which was perfect. The shower is this room was only luke warm at best and when they came to check it told us that's what happens when you shower at peak time which is apparently 6:30 at night. Really? Then maybe you need a bigger hot water heater to accommodate your guests.

The grounds of goat island are beautiful. You have a front row seat to Pell Bridge and an awesome patio to lounge out on. The bar inside (five 33) has overpriced drinks but great appetizers. Didn't eat at the restaurant so can't comment on that. The spa is decent, but wouldn't return there again. My husband had booked the spa as a surprise for me, but they called me to confirm but ruined the surprise and upon entering the room there was suppose to be a card listing my services from them, that wasn't there either. My husband went down and spoke to the spa manager and was very apologetic and booked me for a free facial. The facial was wonderful...the massage was only so so. I offered to tip the facial girl since it was a free service and wanted to make sure she got a tip, they said they already took care if it for me, thought that was nice. The gym is good sized for a hotel and provided ice cold towels which was a great feature. The pool is small and wasn't very clean but smelled very chlorinated, no hot tub. There is an outdoor pool, fireplace and bar that is not open for season yet. We found it odd they wouldn't light the outdoor fireplace even when I heard several guests ask.
This hotel is the furthest away I've ever stayed. The shuttle is very convenient but we often decided to walk to town ( they also have bikes you can use which we did one morning- thought it was a nice touch.... They are included in the resort fee). It's far, but not too far and who doesn't need the exercise? The staff was friendly but not overly, seemed like they were reading off a script rather then being genuine. And their comments in regards to third party bookings are uncalled for.
I think the selling point for this place is the grounds. You have so much space. The resort fee is a little high but they are quick to waive it. We're booked at the Marriott for our next visit. For $300/ night in the off season it should have been perfect. If your looking for a place with top notch service stay at The Viking, and it's much shorter walk to town. I recommend The Newport hotel and marina if you want to be in the heart of it all, although it lacks amenities. Upon check out, the girl did waive my other $35 resort fee due to our cold shower the night before. My final disappointment came when I got home and looked at my credit card statement. I was charged $437 for a 2 night stay. Enough though I prepaid with Expedia and had 3 different front desk staff mention that to me. So why the charge? I did see the charge pending but most hotels put a hold on your account for incidentals so I didn't think twice about it. Unfortunately we probably won't be returning, and we travel to Newport often, even in the winter (when times are slow for hotels) they should have done a better job and would have had new loyal customers. Still waiting to hear back from the hotel in regards to my unwarranted charge. Not a happy customer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Hello Brittney, Thank you for your recent posting concerning your stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa.

Your positive comments concerning our grounds are greatly appreciated! It is indeed a focal point of our hotel and guests often tell us how lovely our outdoor areas are and every year we continue to make improvements.

I am sorry for the issues you encountered with your guestroom and our spa and was happy to read from your comments that our staff did make it up to you by changing your room and offering a complimentary spa service; this is truly the type of guest satisfaction we are known for.

Unfortunately as these postings are anonymous, I am unable to assist with your billing issues but please feel free to contact me and I will address immediately.

Thank you again for your posting!

401-851-3380
kchouinard@hyattnewport.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Warwick
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel was ok. The noise in the hallways came right through the door, almost like the people walking by were in the room. The bathroom was nice, clean, with a glass shower enclosure that leaked buckets of water all over the floor. I had to use all my towels on the puddle on the floor. The pool was fine for my son, but very heavily chlorinated and they were always running out of towels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Keith C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate us and provide details as to areas we need to address. If you could email me (kchouinard@hyattnewport.com) and let me know which room you were in so my engineering team can fix the shower door to ensure future guests are safe and not inconvenienced with water on the bathroom floor. A designated staff member checks and records chlorine levels in both of our pools daily to ensure they are to RI regulated guidelines. The lack of fresh towels is unacceptable at the indoor pool and will be addressed. I hope you'll give us another chance in the future. I am confident that we will provide a far superior experience compared to your most recent stay.

Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Weather was chilly so walk to town was windy and cold. Rooms were very small but beds comfortable. They said 2 double bedroom would accommodate 5 but would not give us a rollaway. This made no sense. It wouldn't have fit anyway. Location on water was beautiful and downstairs cocktail lounge and Starbucks coffee gets 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi, Your recent posting following your stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel & Spa is greatly appreciated!

I have noted your comments concerning the addition of a rollaway in a guestroom with two beds. Due to fire safety regulations this is prohibited and I am sorry that our front desk staff did not explain this to you when you checked in.

Thank you for the 2 thumbs up for offering Starbucks coffee! Our guests do love our Starbucks coffee!

Commack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Loved the hotel and its location and views. Got an upgrade from king/waterview to king waterview with balcony. Very comfortable beds and bathrooms. Loved the bar and its views outside. Took the Spring special which included mansion passes and drink coupons and included the resort fee, so that was a great deal for us! I would go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Linda, Thank you for the fabulous review! Indeed our guests love the Seaside Spring Package as the response for this package has been great. Please look for this package in the future along with new exciting offers that include complimentary upgrades, resort credits and tickets to festivals and local attractions.

You are so kind to take the time to post this review and we appreciate your sincerity, thank you!

Boston,Ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights. The hotel itself it fine. We were grateful to be upgraded to a king room with a water view for no additional charge per night . It was a great spot to use as home base and as a result we walked nearly everywhere. But, as is the case with many totels these days...they get you on the "resort charge"(this covers self parking, internet service, complimentary water, etc.,..... I find this to be disingenuous as it isn't fully called out when booking and there really isn't much you can say about it when they spring it on you at check in. There was a wedding on the second night and the parking lot, lobby and hall corridors were crowded with folks from the wedding. It was annoying because the rest of the hotel guests were left feeling like uninvited guess at the wedding. We were surprised hat the piece that holds the shower to the showe wall was loose and sort of hanging, the spare pillow smelled as though the pillow case had not been washed because it smelled strongly of men's cologne (my husband does not wear cologne) and the extra blanket was really beyond acceptable as it was pilled up and looked well past its prime. We also had to listen to the hum of the ice machine all night because the geniuses that designed this place did not house it in a separate room but instead left it in the hallway. These were not major issues but they did signal a lack of attention to details that would be found at a more upscale hotel. We had an amazing culinary experience at Windward. For the price and the extras they charge, I think the next time we will go with a B&B.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Fitz, Your recent posting on TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated as were your comments concerning your complimentary upgrade.

With regards to our resort fee, this includes self-parking, bottled water daily, internet services, newspapers, van service to downtown (boat shuttle in summer months), local phone calls, 24 hour access to our fitness center and numerous activities hosted by our Activities Department. These activities include but are not limited to yoga, bike rentals and children’s activities. I do regret the issues you had with our housekeeping services. Comments like yours help us to make improvements and we will address these immediately.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Loved everything about the hotel. Great service and very helpful and friendly staff. Hotel was clean and the food in the restaurant was very good. The location was perfect and walking distance to downtown. Really good.

• Stayed April 2013
Keith C, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Newport, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello, Our behalf of the entire team, thank you for your feedback and the 5 out of 5 rating. A clean hotel with friendly staff is the foundation of a great experience. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to having you back to Goat Island in the near future.

Sandwich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great hotel in a wonderful location. We stayed for one night to celebrate out 10 year anniversary. We had stayed there 11 years agao when we got engaged. The hotel is located near all the shops and restaurants in town. We had a lovely suite that had marvelous views across the harbor and bay. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Cindy, An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow. Thank you for spending these two monumental days at the Hyatt Newport. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the resort very soon.

Keith Chouinard

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport? Share your experiences!