Bottom Line: We really loved this hotel and the location on Goat Island but probably would not stay here in high season as the room rate is triple what the off-season rate is, not to mention that the "resort fee" jumps from $20 to $35 just to park your car and get internet service.
Tip: Do not stay in rooms 2101 or 2102 as they are directly across the hall from the indoor pool.
We stayed here for two nights following Thanksgiving and were pleasantly surprised by how great the location was. You are within walking distance to downtown even though you are on Goat Island. Our waterview room was a little tight but we had an incredible view of the Pell Bridge and the water. The outdoor pool was closed for the season but I could see how great it would be with its spectacular views and location. The indoor pool is small and shallow but nice for kids. The fitness area was one of the best of any of the hotels I've stayed in and was fully equipped with a wide variety of machines. There is valet service available but the self park was very easy.
1) The pool was supposed to be heated but my daughter and everyone else who was there found the water to be absolutely "freezing."
2) The doors are self locking like every other hotel door but these seem much louder. Everyone who leaves sounds like they are angrily slamming their door. I thought the people next door were fighting and constantly going in and out of their room but when I looked, it was actually an elderly couple going in and out of their room quite a few doors down from us.
3) The $20 "resort fee" which basically covers parking, internet and 2 bottles of water is bearable in the off-season but at $35 for the regular season it is tough to take.
4) The TV in our room may be hands down the worst I've ever experienced. The SD picture on an HDTV was incredibly fuzzy and had tons of static. During our second night, HBO was pretty much unwatchable through the static and the limited channel selection was disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An island retreat, surrounded by water views, just minutes to downtown Newport. 257 elegantly appointed guestrooms. Activities Department, indoor pool and only outdoor hotel pool in Newport, fitness center, full service Stillwater Spa. Van shuttle and seasonal water taxi to heart of Newport. Year round waterfront dining, seasonal restaurant and lounge area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Regency Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Newport Hotel Newport
- Newport Hyatt Regency
- Hyatt Newport