“Quaint but a bit outdated.” 3 of 5 stars

Inns on Bellevue
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   30 Bellevue Ave., Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #56 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
Middleboro, Massachusetts
“Quaint but a bit outdated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ended up getting a room that had a shared common living room and full kitchen. With 3 couples out for the weekend on a Living Social Deal, that part was pretty cool, as we were able to gather all together after going out to dinner. The building is old, as most are in Newport. The carpets are old, but no biggie. They offered breakfast in the morning, but they couldn't keep up with all of us. We had to wait for the quiche or french toast or the sausages, which were all good. Our shower/tub got clogged and took a few hours to drain. I'm sure that was just because, it was overdue for a good cleaning. Our bed was very very squeaky, even if we just pressed down on the top of it. Almost didn't think I was going to be able to sleep, but I did. That was room 9, 2nd floor. My friends were on the 3rd floor with no living area, so they came down to ours. I probably would try a different place next time, but didn't mind staying here at the Inns on Bellevue.

Room Tip: WiFi service was technically free, but we could not get any service at this property for some reason...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

We recently spent a weekend in Newport with friends and we all took advantage of a Living Social special offer for the Brinley Hotel in Newport. When we arrived we were told that we had been 'upgraded' to the Inn on Bellevue. My friend had it exactly right when she said it looked and felt like staying at your great grandmother's house about 50 years ago. We were three couples vacationing together and each of our three rooms was different. My husband and I had the smallest room of the three, way up on the third floor. (No elevators) Not easy lugging luggage up those narrow steps. The bathroom was so small it contained only the toilet and a square shower stall. The sink was in the bedroom itself. The "closet" was an add-on that was located on the 'other' side of the bed and nearly impossible to use because of its location. There was only about 6 inches of space to get around to that 'other' side of the bed. Our friend's rooms were all similar in size to ours (smallish to average) but they each had much larger bathrooms.

PROS:
Great location on Bellevue Ave - easy to walk to a lot of places.
Bed was comfortable - not fabulous, but comfortable enough.
The shower offered hot water.
Clean.

CONS:
This place is very old. I wish I could say 'quaint' but that's not really the case.
The water in the shower was hot but there was barely any water pressure.
Difficult if not impossible to regulate room temperature.
The included breakfast included some cold pastries, bread for toasting, cereal, coffee, orange juice and what we thought was a hot egg strata - but even that was cold. They did offer warmed up ham but the slices were sitting in water and steaming away so I didn't try it - figured it would taste pretty bland. None of the six of us even bothered having breakfast there on the second morning of our stay.
Our room had no counter space near the sink or in the bathroom.
The blinds on the windows were very old and allowed for lots of light to get in.

All in all, it was adequate, but that's about all. We would not stay there again no matter what kind of deal we got.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about size and location of rooms when/if you book. You might want to ask for a room o...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

After reading a few reviews, I was nervous that the B&B would be a disappointing, dirty mess, however the B&B was fantastic, especially for the price. The room was very clean, spacious and well-kept (inn 3). The breakfast was very simple, but covered all the basics (eggs, pastries, yogurt, cereal, granola and lots of coffee). For the individuals who complained about it, I'm not sure what else they could have been looking for. Additionally the wi-fi worked great, the free parking was extremely convenient and a huge benefit and house keeping came every day with fresh towels.

The B&B is extremely close to everything so we were able to walk nearly everywhere--from Thames St to the Cliff Walk.

I would highly recommend the Inns if you are looking for a more affordable accommodation.

Room Tip: We stayed in Inn 3. Spacious rooms, breakfast is on the first floor and parking lot is right behind...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
South Windsor, Ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night while in Newport for Salve's Parents Weekend. We had a room with 2 double beds on the third floor. The room was small but served its purpose. The bathroom was nice with a large shower. The beds were ok ( a little squeaky) and they could use new comforters. The breakfast was nice and the location was perfect. Parking is tight and not enough room for all the cars so I had to park on the street.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2014

The bed was good. Other than that. It was very disappointing. We paid for the junior suite specifically for the jacuzzi tub that never worked. We complained the first day and also the second day. To no response. The shower is tiny. The TV was a Colby brand which we never heard of. Not sure if it was the TV or the cable but it would freeze and shutdown. Frustrating is an understatement.

• Stayed September 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014 via mobile

I booked a room here based on the location which is great if you want to be on a charming street near downtown. However, the bed was impossible to sleep on it was hard and squeaked every time you moved. The bathroom was almost comically small, without a working hair dryer and towels that looked as old as the Victorian house. The furniture was cheap and from the 50s. I was staying alone and they knew that and I ended up in a room adjoining a random man with only a turn lock separating us. With the paper thin walls allowing me to hear his every move we might as well have just left the door between us open. I'm sure he was a nice person but a woman alone has to consider the outcomes. I wasn't able to change rooms though I asked and the manager opted instead to lean on the comical "lock". There is no luggage storage option if your departure isn't exactly 11am or literally any of the amenities you would expect at even a two star hotel so come prepared for that. It's more like camping than a b&b.

• Stayed September 2014

Been to Inns on Bellevue? Share your experiences!