“Brilliant Stay! More than we could have hoped” 5 of 5 stars

Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2 Sunnyside Place, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #28 of 101 Newport B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Brilliant Stay! More than we could have hoped”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

First of all I would like to say that this Inn was the best place we have stayed in a very long time. We travel quite a bit and most places just hand you a key and want you to leave. We were only staying there a couple nights but there was enough information provided to stay a week or more. My husband was just amazed at the time the innkeepers put into making sure we were informed about the area regardless of what silly guide books say. I liked that they were also very talkative when we wanted but never hovered about like other live in guesthouses you typically find. I felt comfortable and it was never a bother. Breakfast smelled terrific though we never got up to eat in time because of the time change. We left with a smile and well rested.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

This B and B was a real nice experience.This is my second time staying here,and both times were very nice.The two hosts are two very nice guys.They can tell you alot about the town of Newport and went out of their way to make sure we had a nice time,while staying there.We have stayed, over the years at many B and B's, and the owners are always nice, but it seems here, at this place, they go a step further.We enjoyed just sitting in the library and chatting with Brian over drinks.He seems to be a real likeable guy and we enjoyed his company.Nick, the other host is also funny and charismatic.I want to return to Newport for Christmastime,and will no doubt chose this place again,as I could not find one thing wrong with the place, it is a beautiful mansion with beautiful rooms with a fire going in each fireplace, and there is a fireplace in every room, including the guestrooms...that must be real nice in the colder months.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We rented the entire inn for our family vacation to Newport this summer. When we arrived (three sets of grandparents and two children included) it was raining, and we were asked to wait outside in the rain (after 1:00 in the afternoon) because they were still cleaning the rooms. We were not even permitted to sit inside in the library or sitting area. We also had asked ahead of time if we had access to a grill, but when we arrived, the gas tank was empty and could not be removed. This was nearly two months ago, and we have yet to receive our security deposit back. The rooms are lovely, but the owner, Nick, was less than helpful during our stay and has been more than negligent and even became insulting (ignoring emails and phone calls and calling me "a piece of work") now that he owes us our deposit. There are better places to stay where you won't have to tiptoe around a house whose owners are very unwelcoming.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
This is a very animated, complicated story to tell but here are the basics.... There are two indidivuals which I am not allowed to name. The first person booked the reservation and paid for it. The second individual complained the entire time and was the one posted this review.
Here is the full story...The Architect's Inn was rented for 3 days as a house rental NOT as B&B for nearly half the normal price. The idea was that I would not have to provide staffing, cleaning, food, and I could give myself and my staff a few days off from a very hot summer. This also gave them exactly what they were looking for which was a getaway and ability to do whatever they wanted. It was also a midweek rental so it was a win win for both of us. It was the most beautiful perfect summer ever in Newport in terms of weather. The day they arrived the rain started. It was pouring rain the entire time. I took that as an omen!! the rain stopped the day they left, oddly enough.

As instructed, they called before arrival and I told them the house would be ready at a certain time. They said they could go to lunch and come back. What happens....Of course they don't go to lunch, they come right to the inn...early... and all standing on the front door, in the pouring rain, waiting for us to answer the door. We don't answer right away because we are scrambling to try to clean up the house so that we could be ready for them. We had the whole Inn full the night before so cleaning all those rooms to accommodate their early arrive was nothing short of a miracle. Anyway, I answer the door and told them I can give them their keys and they can go for a spin around town and come back in half hour. They decide to sit in the library waiting for the house to be ready, which is of course very hard to clean with kids and adults shuffling around, asking questions about where to go, what to do, looking for bathrooms, piling luggage everywhere, opening wine bottles, etc, etc. We were not expecting so soon because they told me they were going to lunch. If I was snippy it was because I was trying to juggle housekeeping, cleaning and the fact they just dropped in. They were not working with me to get to the common goal….a clean, presentable house with a comfortable, relaxing check in process. I do have to say at this point, I actually liked the family. Everyone seemed amenable and pleasant except for the second individual who seemed to be running the show even though it was the first individual who booked and paid for it. I figured as ringleader, she was stressed in the moment but probably was a very nice person in real life.

So, house rental means they are on their own, right? I guess not! I've rented houses before and if there is something you need, you provide it yourself. It is not uncommon to make a trip or two to the grocery store to pick up supplies. However, we supplied them with the basics but the basics were not enough for this group. I had to make at least three stops at the house during their stay for little stuff. They needed speciality pots and pans, additional cooking utensils, lighters, trash bags, paper towels, platters, paper napkins, etc. We had everything but they needed THREE of everything which for a four burner stove, doesn't even make sense.

The most annoying part of their requests was that they booked knowing there was NO outdoor grill. I know this because the advertisement they saw has a check box for Grill and it was not checked off. They called several times asking if there is a grill because they really wanted a summer cook out as part of their vacation. Sympathetic to their cause, I told them each and every time they called or emailed that we don’t advertise that we have a grill. However, we have a grill but we have not used it in a very long time. I don’t know if it works but there seems like there is gas in the tank. You are welcome to try but I can’t guarantee anything. Sooooo, they arrive and its raining cats and dogs. They call me the second day of their stay saying that the gas tank in the grill has only a little gas and not enough to grill with. They want me to go get a gas tank OR replace the grill entirely. My assistant, not knowing that I already had this conversation with them several times, offered to help. Now, obligated, we found ourselves spending over an hour in the pouring rain trying to replace the gas tank on the old grill because the old grill tank was rusted to the grill and we had to pry it off….in the pouring rain. Then we had to clean the grill and make sure it worked with the new tank….in the pouring rain. Then we had to go find grill utensils and position it in a spot that wouldn’t burn the house down yet was not in a puddle of water….in the pouring rain. All the time thinking….what kind of person wants to have a bbq in torrential rain? This screamed scenes from the Tom Hanks movie The 'Burbs!! It wasn't as if the weather forecast showed any hope of sun!! So me and my assistant, left them with a working grill at our expense and us freezing cold and soaking wet.

Okay so three days of wind and rain go by and they are checking out. They tell me, as they leave, that they accidentally broke a glass table in the third floor and that I can deduct it from their damage deposit. My housekeeper goes up to clean the room and the glass is still all over the floor. This family didn’t even bother to clean it up and the crazy part of that is that the children of the family were sleeping in this room. I was shocked they let their children walk around with big chucks of glass on the floor!!! Of course because of this, my housekeeper cuts himself because he was not expecting shards of glass all over. I go through the house and start seeing other damage that they didn’t tell me about such as chipped plaster walls, broke tea cups, hand prints on the walls and dents in furniture.

So a month goes by and they are looking for their security deposit back. I mistakenly did not write down their billing address off the check they originally gave me. So when they contacted me I asked for an address to send the check to. I send a check but it returns. Of course I didn't write down the phone number of the second individual because I was dealing with the first individual months ago. She contact me again via nasty nasty emails asking where the check is and I told her the situation. She accused me of lying to her about the returned check and not having their phone number but then she gave me another address. I send out the check.

They continue sending nasty emails quoting me phrases from the Rhode Island State Law books (in obnoxious 25 point font on an email) pertaining to returning security deposits for renters. Of course, if she only read what she quoted me those laws only apply to long term renters like an apartment on a monthly or yearly lease. She started threatening me with small claims court. At this point I was annoyed beyond belief with her. By the way she was talking, you would think she was going to get millions of dollars back. It was only a couple hundred dollars deposit!!!

She must not be very bright because after I emailed her that the check is in the mail, she replies with even more nasty emails!!! I replied to the nasty emails with a very good suggestion....I told her that she really shouldn't start insulting me until AFTER the check clears. I said I could put a stop payment on the check and not refund your deposit at all considering that I did not charge her for all the damage they actually caused. Which is the truth!!! In actuality they deserved nothing back between the broken glass, the chipped walls, additional wallpaper cleaning charge and the furniture.

So there is the whole story. In the grand scheme of things I've had worse customers but I believe she exaggerated the story probably because she was upset her vacation was ruined... not by me....but by mother nature sending a hurricane during her holiday.
Guilford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I stayed at the architect’s inn for a short weekend stay. Brian the owner was extremely friendly, nice, polite and a gracious host. I especially enjoyed the breakfast he served every morning. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. The house in itself is a very charming old Victorian house. I mostly sat on the veranda or kicked up my feet/curled up on the sofa in the library and read a nice book. You are walking distance to town which was also nice.

Jose Corpes
Designer
Interiors by JC
Guilford, CT

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
East Haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed for a couple of nights here with friends and it was a very beautiful mansion to spend time at.It was typical "Newport"...an old mansion with charm and very elegant rooms.Both the main floor and the upper bedrooms were very formal and victorian in their decore.All rooms I saw had a fireplace, including the front palor, library, diningroom, and bedrooms.I was told by the owners that the fireplaces are all going in the colder months.How beautiful that must be and I would love to return there, just to experience that. In fact, the group I traveled with all said they would love to return to this place.The service was excellent and the owners who run this place are very very very sweet and nice.You could not help but love them.Everyone here went out of their way,many times, to be as helpful as possible.It made a big difference ,as the whole Newport Experience was that much more enjoyable.Newport is a GREAT town,with a lot to do and this place is close enough to walk to most places.Their breakfast service is great and worth the trip in itself. I can't see how anyone would have anything bad to say about this place,I found it to be a perfect treat.I would certainly stay here again, when returning to Newport.I'm sure this house would be beautiful during the christmas season,as it was decorated very nicely for the Fall Season.Nick and Brian should be proud of their Inn, as it is ,again, a beautiful "Newport Summer Cottage", or large mansion to the rest of us commonfolk!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
InnBliss, Owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
This was a spectacular group that visited us. We took them out and had such a blast. We will see you soon if you come back for our Murder Mystery Weekends. I foresee a very very fun weekend of laughs. Say hi to everyone
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

The service was great! Breakfast each morning was special with homemade muffins, fruit, and anything from stuffed french toast to quiche. We were lucky to have weather that permitted us to eat on the porch every morning. Our room was clean and comfortable. What I will say about the Architects Inn is that every room is different and has it's own charm. They have rooms with private baths and rooms with a shared bath. The location was centrally located to everything. Thou, it's quite a distance to walk to the Mansions. We loved our conversations with Brian and David. Their help with reservations and recommendation of were to eat and what to see were invaluable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
I loved these guests. They are so nice and hope to see them again soon.
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Spent an evening at this bed and breakfast which turned out to be more of a boarding house. We were greeted by an employee only to be admonished that we had not called an hour prior to our arrival and we were lucky to find someone in to admit us. We were not advised of this procedure prior to our arrival. We were not allowed to wear our shoes in the house and the "private bath" turned out to be a toilet in one closet, the sink in another closet and a shower inbetween the two closets, which was open to the room itself, literally you stepped out of the shower into the bedroom. There was no privacy whatsoever. Loved Newport and would return to the area, not the "B&B" Oh yes, the towels were so old that one literally ripped apart while I was drying myself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
I am so sorry you had a bad experience. I don't know what to say about the towel except that either housekeeping accidentally used way too much bleach or you must be really really strong. However, I feel obligated to defend the room. The Belmont Room is one of our top rooms. The bathroom is separated in three sections as was common in the turn of the last century. It is actually quite common in older houses that were originally built with outhouses and then indoor plumbing came later to have separated bathrooms. I think your reference to a bathroom in a closet is a bit understated considering I don't know any closets that have 12 foot ceilings and $12,000 custom tilework and faucets. Maybe being from Los Angeles you are not accustom to the charm of New England Victorian architecture, but we are in the top three Inns in Newport in terms of style and appointments.

Been to Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House? Share your experiences!