“This Inn is TOPS!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
Falls Church
“This Inn is TOPS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed here last summer. We are about to go again this summer for the Folk Festival which reminded me I wanted to write this review. We had an amazing time. First of all, this was a total surprise because this was booked for us by our American Express customer service so we knew it was going to be top of the line but we didn't know anything about it otherwise. As soon as we walked up to the big grand doors of the house and were welcomed into this gorgeous home, we fell in love. I think my husband got jealous because I was spending more time talking with the owners at first then I was with him. LOL Nick and Brian were just so wonderful and we clicked immediately. They had so many good ideas and suggestions that you would think we actually spent time planning this trip (which we so didn't). Brian showed us the other guest rooms and I just couldn't believe that we could afford this place. I felt like we stepped back in time to Victorian days. I can't even describe the rooms but the pictures online do not do them justice. I can go on and on about this "bed and bath" . We will be going back in august this year for another unforgettable vacation, I am sure.

• Liked — my bedroom canopy bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights after having done a trade show in Providence. What a perfect choice this was!! The inn is beautiful, the innkeepers Nick and Brian are helpful and attentive, and the location is perfect - walking distance to everything you could possibly want to do in Newport.

We received a very warm welcome from Nick, and he included a tour of the entire inn before showing us into our own room. The bedroom was beautifully decorated - featuring a four poster bed and a fireplace. The bathroom was HUGE - with a claw footed tub and separate shower. Our sitting room was charming - we wished we had had more time to actually spend in it!!

Nick makes a delicious breakfast, and gave us an amusing abbreviated history of Newport while we ate. He went above and beyond with making phone calls for us to restaurants and even to a local liquor store to find out if they stock German wines.
Afternoon tea with homemade cookies and cakes and sherry was delightful!

If you are a walker, as we are, you will find that you will not need to remove your car from the parking lot. We visited the Breakers, Rosecliff, Chateau-sur-Mer, Marble House, The Elms, and Belcourt Castle (do not miss this tour, the house is simply divine and the tourguide a complete charmer!! Go for the evening champagne tour.). Perhaps we overdid it, as Nick was fairly impressed by the ground we had covered on foot, but the weather was perfect and the exercise was needed after the generous breakfasts!!

We would highly recommend Canfield House for dinner - smart casual to well dressed will do. The food is well prepared, and the atmosphere and service is elegant. Not at all pricey either.

A lovely stay. Would return to the Architect's Inn again and again.

• Liked — Warm, friendly innkeepers.
  • Disliked — We didn't have longer to stay!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Wallingford, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

I have stayed at the Architect's inn twice with my fiancé and loved the experience both times. Nick and Brian are so attentive to their guests and they are both truly cordial hosts. Our first visit was during the summer and it was unforgettable. Each room in the Inn is unique and lovely. The breakfasts were fantastic and it gave us a nice opportunity to hear about the history of Newport from Nick and get to know our fellow guests. Nick provided tons of suggestions for activities which helped make our trip very eventful. In the winter, we came back again and brought our family with us to this beautiful place. Christmas in Newport was great! The house was decorated beautifully and every night our family sat in the common room in pajamas spending good quality time around the fire. Nick and Brian joined us around the fire and we felt truly welcome and as if they were a part of our family. I cannot imagine a better experience in Newport or at any bed and breakfast!!!! Nick, Brian, and the Architect's Inn are great!!!!!!

• Liked — The house, location, and owners
  • Disliked — The tvs
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

My husband and I recently returned from an unforgettable stay at the Architect's Inn. Every part of the trip -- from booking the room to Brian's warm greeting upon our arrival to spending time in the cozy common areas snacking on delicious cookies and sipping sherry to relaxing in front of our fireplace to the super-comfy bed (we stayed in the LaFarge Room) to breakfast in the morning -- was just the thing for a winter (or any other season) getaway. We found both Nick and Brian to be friendly without being overbearing, taking their cues about level of sociability from the guests themselves. They clearly have much love and pride for their inn, and it shows in the little touches like umbrellas to borrow and in the beautiful condition of the common rooms, guest rooms (Nick gave us a tour), and the lovely floors (thus the very politely requested shoe removal, which was really no big deal at all). We're in our 30s but, judging from the friendly communal breakfasts, people of all ages were enjoying their stay at the inn. -Elissa and Ken

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

My Mom and I take a girls weekend every year after Labor Day and we have been to Newport before and stayed at the Hyatt on Goat Island. This year we decided to try to stay closer to town and I chose the Architects Inn because of the tripadvisor reviews. We were both happy with the choice.
Innkeeper Nick was very pleasant and helpful. We had a room on the top floor and it was bright and airy and very clean. The rest of the house was quite dark, though very nicely furnished. Every morning Nick served us breakfast (we could choose from 2 seating times) and he changed the menu daily. We had French toast, eggs, muffins, waffles and plenty of good food to eat. After he had served, Nick would sit down to chat with us and provide info about local attractions. In the evenings, he provided sherry and had two very comfortable rooms in which to sit and visit or read. I really enjoyed that.
If I had one negative, I would say that it was the location. It was quite a long walk to the restaurants on Thames Street and in order to walk there, you had to walk through something that looked like low income housing. It just made us nervous enough later in the evening to make us use a car every night, but finding parking on Thames Street is near to impossible. Some people that were staying at the Inn at the same time as we were had their car towed, so everyone was extra cautious. There were restaurants that we would have liked to have tried, but we drove around for 20 minutes and finally gave up and ate elsewhere.
All in all, it was a very nice time and Nick keeps a beautiful house. Just remember that this is a B&B, the whole idea is to meet and talk to people at breakfast, so come prepared to make new friends, that is the fun of it!

• Liked — the house
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
InnBliss, owner at Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House, responded to this review, June 24, 2008
Low income housing???? in Newport???? I don't think so! I don't know what to say to that.... Historic Hill is one of the wealthiest parts of town. Maybe downtown can seem like low income housing sometimes because of the small colonial houses built right next to each other but that is actually considered historic charm in most areas of the world. Considering the crime extent in Newport County generally consists of tourists drunk driving b/c they booked a hotel too far from downtown....I think maybe you just got the wrong idea.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

We had a great time at this beautiful inn! It was charming! The innkeepers were very inviting and shared their wealth of knowledge with us. The breakfast alone is worth going back for. Great central location. This was our first time in Newport and our first time at this B&B, but it will definetly not be the last. The house was EXTREMELY clean and the ammenities were perfect. Very charming and romantic.

• Liked — The owners and location
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was perfect...not one complaint.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

I cannot say enough about this B&B and am already planning my next visit. Our innkeeper, Brian, is an incredibly gracious host who made our experience top notch from booking until checkout. Not one detail was overlooked. We stayed in the Redwood Room and were truly enchanted by its Victorian charm. The room is beautifully decorated and has the most comfortable canopy bed right next to a cozy, wood-burning fireplace. I can't think of a more romantic setting. The gourmet breakfast was fabulous, and Brian's impeccable taste was proven in his restaurant recommendation. We will definitely be back!

Laurel & Bob
Boston, MA

• Liked — Brian
  • Disliked — Not enough time there!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House? Share your experiences!