My wife and I recently spent three lovely nights at the Architects Inn. October is off season but perhaps the best time to visit Newport. Still enough going on, weather is decent and getting around and parking is easy. The Rosewood Room we stayed in was certainly spacious enough and nicely furnished. Bathroom was large and claw foot tub was interesting albeit a bit hard to navigate into and out of.
The Inn is in a great location. A 10 minute walk in one direction takes you to a cluster of restaurants on Broadway like the Fifth Element, Salvation Cafe (both great), Noreys, and Tuckers. A five minute walk in the other direction takes you to the Art Museum and Rosewood Library, and the waterfront area is within a fifteen minute walk if you don't want to drive.
Brian and Nick were great. Didn't see them much during the stay but they made us outstanding breakfasts and spent time chatting with us during and after the meal. Both were friendly, very open and fun to talk to, and in very short time "zeroed in" to what kind of people we were. When we queried them about the mansions and told them two or three max, they gave us an overview of each and suggested which ones we might be enjoy. When we asked about dining they suggested the kinds of spot we liked, unpretentious, and casual but good food. Try Scales and Shells for fresh seafood and Brick Alley and Red Parrot for almost gourmet bar food.
I forgot some files at the Inn upon our departure. Within an hour I received a text from Nick letting me know and he mailed the files to my office. What a life saver that was. Would definitely return to this place as everything about it just made our trip all that much better.
One final note: Brian and Nick are busy guys as they also run another B&B and have a restaurant. So at least in the off season a lot of communication is done by text messaging. This actually pleased us because it rendered them unobtrusive but they always responded quickly. But technically challenged types might not appreciate not having someone around the Inn during large parts of the day. I understand that during the season there are more staff around.
- Also Known As:
- Architects Inn - George Champlin Mason House Hotel
- Architects Inn - George Champlin Mason House Hotel Newport
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- History, Art, Architecture and Antiques adorn this fabulous Guesthouse. Located directly in the center of Newport in the sophisticated "Top of the Hill" neighborhood where the oldest mansions are still thriving as private homes. This mansion has quaint tourist rooms to large gorgeous romantic rooms. Something for everyone and a great breakfast to make your trip perfect. Massage therapists can come to your room for a relaxation session. Wireless printer and WiFi make it great for working while you enjoy tea in your room or on the verandah. The Innkeepers are born Rhode Islanders who can advise you to all the best restaurants that are off the beaten path. In the shoulder season, become a child again and play in Interactive Murder Mystery Weekends (all inclusive) where you are a character that gets wrapped up in a crazy, murderous plot as if you were in the movie Clue. Whatever the occasion, this Inn will sure be leaving an impression and warm memories to share with friends and family. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.