“Hated to Leave” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1 Murray Place, overlooking Almy Pond, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #20 of 101 Newport B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Hated to Leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

What a piece of luck finding Murray House! This wasn't an ordinary get away for us, it was our 25th anniversary. I wanted to surprise my wife and not tell her where we were headed, but take her somewhere new and different. I found Murray House online, but it was a bed and breakfast. We had always shyed away from B&B's because we like a little privacy and the idea of sharing a house and a meal with strangers isn't our cup of tea. We're avid pet lovers and gardeners also which always makes it hard to leave home.
Well reading that Murray house has private entrances and your breakfast is delivered to your room sounded too good to be true and I just knew my wife would go for that. I called Noreen the innkeeper and she had a room available called the garden room. Sounded like a good start, so she sent me a wealth of information via email and I really thought I was on to something. So I booked the room and crossed my fingers it would work out for our big anniversary.
We arrived to a nice casual check in, basically head to your room and make yourself at home. Instantly a relaxed feeling set in. Perfect! A very private entrance with our own garden patio. A great room with a nice kitchenette. Not super fancy, just a nice safari decor that screamed "Homey", but not home. My wife was so happy! We both loved it and I was so relieved my blind pick was just right.
We stayed a few days and it just continued to get better. The location was perfect, Other guests with dogs thrilled us, so many beautiful flowers and gardens including an adorable coy pond. We toured the town half the time, but were more than happy to get back to Murray House and just RELAX on the deck around the pool or in our cozy room.
Noreen was there for anything you needed and invisible when you wanted to be left alone. We happened to love chatting with her and visiting with her cat Jamie. In the mornings there was a knock on the door and our breakfast tray was sitting there on our patio table as if by magic. And what a nice breakfast! She truly cares about her guests.
It's not your typical B&B and not for people looking for ultra elite Hilton type accomodations, but if you want to get away for a New England coastal home away from home for a few days and what I described sounds good, DON'T PASS IT UP. We just plain hated to leave.
Thanks so much, Noreen!

• Liked — Warm surroundings
  • Disliked — We had to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

As two native New Yorkers looking for a bit of peace & quiet, we were very pleased with the perfect location of Murray House -- just the right distance from the hustle & bustle of downtown Newport. We found the Pond View Suite to be cozy and charming, yet quite spacious. The weather outside was hot, yet somehow our suite stayed cool & comfortable -- we left the AC off the whole weekend! Our first morning, we got up early & took a cab to the beginning of the Cliff Walk, that way we would end up right by Murray House -- we were very happy we did it this way. Upon leaving after our two night getaway, we were daydreaming about extending our stay, just to have some more time to enjoy & appreciate the beautiful grounds, take a dip in the pool, & relax in the jacuzzi. Next time! ;)

• Liked — suite is cozy yet spacious, with a private sitting room, private balcony, & private entrance
  • Disliked — price was a splurge for us, but was more affordable than other B&B options in Newport
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

Should one ask why we keep returning to Murray House B&B, I hope they have a cup of coffee handy and no where to go.
We discovered Murray House through a web search. Affordable, nice location and doggie friendly. We loaded up the car and one very chilly December day ventured to Newport, to what was to become our Home away from Home.
Comfort, Cozy, Adorable kitchenette and room themes, Ocean breezes, Warmth,Convenient, Welcoming, Safe, A Summery Garden filled with delights for all the senses, a refreshing pool, a bubbly romantic jacuzzi tucked in a corner, a koi pond, benches and chairs. Off season a warm room, holiday touches, small "get in the mood" electric fireplace , reduced rates....privacy and respect.
As I read through the the guest book I learned if it wasn't there, and you needed it all you had to do was ask. The owner would step above and beyond to make sure your stay was as best as possible.
My family returns to Newport and Murray house several times throughout the year. When we settle into the room even our dog breathes out a small sigh of comfort.
We love to experience each season on that Island. The architecture, the beaches, the shops, mansions, walking through history, Holiday events, Summery Outings and hidden gems along the way.
But I must admit the most treasured gem is Murray House. And often we venture no farther than the beckoning patio behind the garden gate.

• Liked — Individual rooms and entrances, your own outside sitting area, pet friendly
  • Disliked — the flowers don't bloom all year round and the koi pond goes to sleep
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I was just reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor.com and was SHOCKED to see a negative review of Murray House B&B. My husband and I have stayed in many B&B's all over New England, and Murray House is certainly one of our favorites! We went up this past August for a friend's wedding, and had a wonderful time. Our room was beautiful, immaculately clean, plenty of clean towels were left each day, and a DELICIOUS breakfast delivered to our room each morning, beutifully presented. We brought our little dachshund along and he is a little fearful and quite spoiled. We left our cell phone numbers with Noreen (the owner) any time we left just in case he barked or cried or disturbed anyone. Instead of calling us, she opened the curtains to her apartment so Max could see her and came in and talked to him, gave belly rubs, etc. Needless to say, Max was just fine with Noreen! She just went above and beyond anything we could have hoped for.
We have recommended Murray House to many of our friends...those who have dogs and even those who do not, because it is just a charming place to stay.
Maybe the person who wrote the negative review got up on the wrong side of the bed that day! LOL!
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Mrray House B&B!
Patricia Hund
New York City

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

Negatives: Upon first entering this property, we were slightly confused. Our door was left open, unlocked, for really anyone to go inside. We got in and the carpet was noticeably damp everywhere and there was a strong musty odor. Food was okay, but later found out "fake ingredients" were used, like splenda and egg beaters. I prefer natural foods, not over processed packaged food, especially when I'm promised a gourmet breakfast.

Positives: Owner of the property was friendly. We were allowed to bring our dog. Decent location, close to downtown and quiet.

• Liked — This is one of the few places in Newport that allows dogs.
  • Disliked — It smelled bad and was damp.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

Having just stayed here, I can tell you that I was disappointed. Our room was DIRTY; it had not been vacuumed or dusted. The windows needed to be cleaned, there was a musty odor, the dishes that were set on the table had a layer of dust on them and there was pet hair on the comforter and most notably, the pillowcases! When our room was made up the second day, none of these things had been done again AND the dirty towels that I had left on the floor were hung up again!!! Yikes.

• Liked — quiet location
  • Disliked — it was dirty
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2005

My wife and I stayed at MURRAY HOUSE B&B sept. 5-7. We have stayed in quite a few b&b's, but none as nice as this! Everything about it was so special - a cozy, clean room, our own private patio, a beautiful pool(which we always had all to ourselves!) and last, but certainly not least, the best breakfasts we've ever had at a b&b - by far! We also loved the grounds and the friendly cats. We can't wait to return!!

• Stayed September 2005

Been to 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!