“2nd Stay and Counting...Pet Friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast
You added 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1 Murray Place, overlooking Almy Pond, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #20 of 101 Newport B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“2nd Stay and Counting...Pet Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned from our annual Newport Half Marathon weekend. I run quite a few races during the year but this is the one I look forward to the most primarily because Newport is such a beautiful place to be. Since we bring our little Pomeranian everywhere, we require dog friendly accommodations. Last year, we discovered the Murray House and this is now our place to stay! The location is great and Noreen is a pleasure. The property is off Bellevue Ave, in walking distance to the Cliff Walk (the end part of it) and a small beach area. We stay in the same room (“The Garden Room”) which is very private and has a really neat “safari”motif (right up my alley!). The room has a small kitchen area which is perfect for tea/coffee and even has a stovetop. There is also a dining table set up for 2. What we really appreciate is the fenced in yard with such tranquil grounds- including a koi fish pond and various sitting areas. In addition, there is a a nice pool - although we have never taken advantage of it since we are there in October. Jazmine loves the yard and is enamored by the koi fish which are larger than she is! In the morning, I would walk her down to the beach at the end of Coggeshall Ave and then jump onto the Cliff Walk. I prefer this section of the CW versus the beginning point off Memorial Blvd- it is A LOT less crowded and the trail is (slightly) more rugged….ideal to tire a dog out! Great photo op from this vantage point too. Definitely check it out. The Murray House provides a very pleasant home base for us while in Newport. It is so charming and Noreen makes everyone feel welcome. First timers- Noreen will send you all sorts of good info on Newport: places to go, things to do, where to eat, dog info including dog parks (if applicable), etc. She is really a great hostess. These are just a few of the reasons we return to the Murray House. Honestly, I would rather stay here than the larger hotels on Thames. It all depends what you are looking for. For us, it is the Murray House. See you next year Noreen!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Noreen is a wonderful host and the location is fantastic if you are looking to relax, walk to the beach and feel like you are away from all the chaos. Being two minutes from everything yet not having to deal with Newport parking and traffic was a real treat. We were there late in the season (it was cooler and rainy) and would love to have seen and experience Noreen's garden and pool in the summer sun. That said, the Pond View Suite was warm cozy and everything could have asked for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Almost missed this gem. Waited a day and a half to hear from the Innkeeper, Noreen, who apologized when she called and said she was recovering from recent surgery. Because of this, Noreen could not cook breakfast for us and promptly offered a nightly discount on the Garden Room...Suite! (Pun intended).
Must agree with all positive reviewers in saying how clean, how friendly, how helpful etc, etc. What I can add is that you must believe it is all true. I have left hotels and B&B's not up to what they claim. My kids never unpacked until I finished looking over a room first. I am not a pet owner nor would I usually stay in a pet friendly establishment. I never sensed that pets had stayed before me. Trust me on this, I would have known. Dogs are not allowed in the pool. I asked.
You will need nothing. Noreen thinks of it before you do. This is a quiet and restful place with immaculate gardens and waterfalls tended daily by the ever present and oh so helpful Barry. Easy to access major things you'll want to do like mansions, beach, Cliff Walk.
Look no further when you've found the treasure called Murray House.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The best about Murray House was that my kitty loved it. I never see him so happy and loveble. Noreen took good care of him when she went to our room. Unfortunaly we didn't have a chance to meet her personaly. The room was very nice, clean and confortable. The only thing I didn't like much was the TV. It's too small and my husband and I like to watch our favor shows before we fall sleep. And Barry was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Better in the Spring or Summer, so you can appreciate the garden and pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Murray House twice now. Each time we brought along our dogs; a maltese and bichon. Both times we had an amazing experience. We recently stayed here over New Years, and when we arrived, Noreen (the owner) had left two small gift bags for our pups containing treats and a couple toys. She also left us a small tray of cheese and crackers. After a long drive, it was such a warm welcome.

The rooms are clean, service is great, and the grounds are beautiful. It's a quick drive to downtown, but also off the beaten path so the area is quiet. It's a short walk to Bellevue Ave, so it was nice taking our dogs for long walks. As a pet owner, it's difficult to find a nice, clean, and accomdating place to stay with animals. It's so nice to know that the Murray House doesn't have a million rules and regulations. They make our pets feel as welcome as we do, which is rare!!!

Prior to our arrival, Noreen sent several emails with things to do in the area, directions, and other misc. things we needed to know. I've never stayed anywhere else where we felt more welcome and appreciated.

Newport is such a dog friendly place, especially when the weather turns warm. We will be back in the spring with our fur babies and stay at the Murray House again for sure!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

Once again Murray House was the perfect place for us to stay! We had a wonderful New Years Eve here AGAIN! Noreen is so sweet and so accomodating, I was shocked to see a bad review about her or the house. The view from the shedding pot is amazing. Noreen treats me and my boyfriend like old friends not to mention she is so sweet to our little chihuahua Millie. She even left her a wonderful little doggie care package! We love Murray House and Noreen and can't wait to come back in the Summer!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

This bed and breakfast allows dogs, which is a great plus for us dog owners. The owner/operator was very accommodating and sent several emails prior to our arrival with instructions and recommendations. It is walking distance (1/2 mile) to the southern starting point of the Cliff walk. It's a similar distance to several of the mansions as well. It's only a mile from downtown Newport. The only negative is that we found ourselves constantly driving to the downtown area and trying to find parking, which is expensive and hard to find. Staying right in downtown would have been more convenient.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to 1 Murray House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!