“One night stay that we will def stay @ again....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center

You added Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Admiral Kalbfus Road, Newport, RI 02840-1310 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Danielson, Connecticut
“One night stay that we will def stay @ again....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Place was awesome! Room... VERY clean, bed/pillows were very comfortable, fridge was very cold, great showerhead, & a nice tv. From our 2nd floor deck, the view of the Newport Bridge was gorgeous! Pool looked nice & restaurant prices were terrific but didn't go to either cuz we were there to enjoy the things in Newport. Parking was perfect & so close to Newport...w/in minutes. The price was decent for it being summer & so close to Newport. The place is very quiet EXCEPT for the housekeeping staff @ 8am felt the need to be EXTREMELY loud yelling to each other...seemed like down the hallway. It didn't stop either. Terrible! Otherwise, the place gets a "10" from us & we will def stay there again & again....

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Newport in high season is a collection of high-priced lodging. In contrast, The Mainstay Inn provides clean, motel-style accomodations at reasonable cost. Located a couple miles north of downtown, the Inn offers an $8 shuttle for guests who would rather skip the cost of public parking lots. We appreciated the cleanliness of our room, new carpet, and fine noise-masking air-conditioning.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

If you are looking for a high quality, clean, convenient hotel in Newport with a great adjoining restaurant at a very reasonable price, this is the hotel for you. The outdoor pool is refreshing and not crowded. The shuttle bus service makes parking a non-issue, as parking is expensive and not convenient in the crowded downtown area of Newport. The hotel rooms are attractively decorated and the service is superior. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Middlebury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I read some of the reviews and I did not have the same experience. We stayed in a king suite on the third floor. It was spacious and comfortable. The room was clean and while it is not that close to downtown, there is a shuttle so that you don't have to deal with the parking rates and traffic in town. Summer in Newport is expensive and crowded. I would stay here again.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My stay was much better than what I was expecting. The bed was very comfortable and my room was clean and quiet. Also, the front desk staff was friendly and accommodating, even when they were slammed at check in/check out. The property definitely needs to a makeover in terms of updating the bathroom, wallpaper, carpets, etc., but for a one night stay the Mainstay was an affordable and surprisingly pleasing alternative to more expensive options in the area. Also a quick cab ride from Thames St.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Recently went on a family and we stayed at this hotel from july 13-15, with three separate rooms.. and would NEVER do again nor would I recommend this hotel to anyone.a few Power outlets did not work in each of the rooms, one of the rooms were suppose to come with more appliances (fridge, microwave, coffee pot) they gave us a choice to have a fridge for 10 bucks a night. . (Come on, seriously?) .. The "Grand sweet" room was okay, but when it came to the fridge breaking down and not working and waiting for a cubed sized 1999 looking fridge to come up and for it not to work as well. And to call back down and get . It gets pretty annoying because nothing is prepared nor is anything "accommodating"... so.. a no go next time for me with this hotel..

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I had the worst hotel experience of my life here - - and I have stayed in cheap hotels and hostels in third world countries!

My boyfriend booked us the last room - smoking room - which is clearly not ideal, however, the problems did not end there. We walked into the hotel, passed the pool and went down a set of stairs and the smell of mold immediately hit me. We walked to our room - passed a huge commercial laundry facility which was noisy and in full production, passed the commercial utility room which smelled of oil when we entered our room through the flimsy door. The smell of smoke hit me immediately. The rooms lights did not stay on - they merely flickered. The smell was so bad I tried to open a window, but realized our window was only about 3' high and since we were in a basement, when I looked out I saw car license plates and tired. There were no screens so we could not get fresh air. The curtains were FULL of cigarette burns and the floors and walls had holes and stains everywhere. I went to brush my teeth and brown water was coming out of the faucets. The wireless did not work and neither did the outlets - so I could not charge my phone.

I spent the night coughing on the smoke smell and considered sleeping in my car in the parking lot since when we called to complain there were no other rooms available and no other rooms available in Newport at 11 pm on a summer friday.

I woke up early, did not shower because of the brown water and left - and my hair and clothes reeked of smoke the rest of the day.

This hotel nearly ruined my romantic weekend. I think its a crime that you charged us nearly $300 for a room of this quality.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!