“Great Value Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Newport
Gales Ferry
“Great Value Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stay at this hotel a few times a year. The location is great. Close to the center of town without the high hotel price. The price is always great and the rooms are spacious and clean. We frequently go to the restaurant and lounge for a night cap. It is always nice to see Craig the bartender he is always friendly and makes a nice drink. Gene the shuttle bus driver is also very helpful and nice. He knows alot about Newport and truly enjoys his job.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
FALL RIVER
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and i decided to spend the weekend of dec 1 st to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary at the Mainstay in Newport RI .....Its was Thanksgiving evening so we decided to try the restaurant since not much else was open . This turned out to be a huge mistake as the restaurant itself was very very cold and the food was even colder .....their was only one waiter and it took forever to get a coffee . The menu was very small i had the roast pork loin which was awful it was reheated , the mashed potatoes were cold and very hard and the green beans were hard as nails ...My wife had the seafood platter and that was even worse than mine ...so needless to say we didn't eat in the rea=restaurant any more and we stayed there 3 nights ......so do yourself a favor DON'T EAT HERE

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Newport, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Excellent hotel for leisure stay. Little hard to get to the entrance, you have to drive down and turn around and come back, but other than that it is a great place to stay for the price. The bed was great. We've stayed before when visiting Newport.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Southington, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

OK, I understand that a Best Western is not the Ritz, and in a city like Newport where a decent hotel (Hyatt, Hilton, etc) runs around $400 a night, a $200/night hotel is probably less than glamorous. HOWEVER, I did NOT expect to be disgusted by my accommodations here, and I really was. The review titled "Your wife will not be happy" couldn't have put it better...I was NOT happy. There was a stale, musty smell in all the rooms (we were with a large party and all of them stank), brown stains on the ceilings, stained bathtubs, and although I'm sure the sheets were washed they just didn't FEEL clean. Beds were uncomfortable too. And for the record, I am NOT a picky hotel goer... I have stayed in many a Best Western, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn and am generally satisfied (if not totally pleased). This was hands down the WORST place I have EVER stayed. EVER.

The only thing I will say (and the only reason they get 2 stars instead of 1) is that some of the rooms my friends stayed in were SIGNIFICANTLY cleaner than ours, looked newer and nicer and must have been reno'd in the past few years anyway. These rooms were the same cost as ours however, so it's really a gamble if you stay here.

If you are looking for a place to pass out with the guys after a night of heavy drinking, I suppose this would be the best deal in town. Otherwise, I'd stay away.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brookhaven, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed here with 5 friends for a girls weekend. We booked 3 rooms originally but when we got there we asked if they had a room big enough for 4 to stay in. They were very accommodating and showed us the suite that had 2 double beds, a couch, fridge, microwave and another room with a king size bed. It was perfect for us and gave us a place to hangout. The staff was very friendly. We stayed Thursday-Sunday. The location was easy to get to. It was about 5 minutes from the main part of town. We ate breakfast at the restaurant. Prices were average and the food was good.
My only complaint was that the lobby had a horrible smell. I would still go back to this hotel. I got a lot for what I paid.

My

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Please take this advice very seriously- this hotel is the worst I have stayed at. For $140 a night, I could have found a clean place to stay. The ceilings have dark brown waterstains on them. This hotel had a Musty smell throughout the building, filthy carpets and gave me a general uncomfortable feeling. When I ran the water from the sink- the water turned brown. I felt as though it was very unsanitary.
They could have at least offered juice and coffee for their breakfast- nothing was included with the stay. Needless to say, I was not impressed and will not be back.

• Stayed November 2013
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel is just outside of the downdown area of Newport, next to the exit off the Newport Bridge. It is clean and well mantained. Our room was at the back facing a road but we did not hear any of the traffic noises in the room. The only problem we had was with controlling the heat. Put it on and it got too warm in the room. We had to have the heat off all night, lucky it didn't get too cold outside. The staff was pleasant and helpful, we will definitly be visiting again.

Room Tip: You might want to stay on the second floor. The windows on the first floor are rather close to the g...