“This place wasn't so bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Mainstay Inn

Save Saved
You added The Mainstay Inn to your Saves list
The Mainstay Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   151 Admiral Kalbfus Road, Newport, RI 02840-1310 (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #17 of 20 hotels in Newport
rutherford nj
“This place wasn't so bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

WOW Some of the reviews look like they were left by disgruntled former employees... So my expectations were very low AND that was a good thing. We usually stay in very fancy hotels...Our room had a King sized bed on the first floor ( We requested first floor since no elevator -would have to hump your luggage up the stairs) Our room overlooked the pool. The room above us had 3 little kids running around non stop (until 11PM ) and that became a little maddening.... You could hear all their running around BIG TIME ! We heard nothing from the adjacent rooms though. BUT overall I thought the place was decent.My fiancee thought it was gross and dirty though. Curtains were dirty and one window looked like it was spray painted over. Room had the funny disinfectant smell of a cheap hotel....Pool area was kept untidy with some trash and a few broken chairs SHE SAYS.... Back to my findings-I liked the pool-it was a good break on a hot Summer day after we did a tour of about 5 of the famous mansions ...(A must -do) I had NO trouble getting Wi Fi the 2 nights we stayed there. It had 2 completely fine ice machines (Contrary to other reviews I read...) SO,if you can overlook dirty curtains this place is decent ...(I saw absolutely NO SIGNs of cock roaches OR bugs AND our bathroom was perfectly clean...Maybe different parts of the hotel have better or worse maids and maybe bug problems???I dont know)

Room Tip: If you have giant heavy luggage like me -get a first floor room!! There is no elevator(At least i...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

394 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because it was the cheapest in the area & we weren't really going to be in the room that much. They are pet friendly, which is awesome, so we brought our dog & staff & guests were excited about her being there with us. The front desk staff was super nice & the shuttle driver was the best! We had appetizers in the hotel restaurant before going out on the town & the food was good. The room was dated & a little musty smelling, but I brought a candle because I had expected that due to other reviews. We saw no roaches or bugs like other people reported. The building & property were very quiet. My only complaint is that there were carpet spikes sticking out by the enterance in room & I cut my toe minutes after walking in, so watch your step. Overall I'd recommend this hotel. For being a Best Western it really isn't that bad as you'd expect. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Norton, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We love having a little get away in Newport. The Best Western provides us with a nice, clean place to stay just 2 miles outside of the down town area for a reasonable price. We like to hit the small casino across the street which you can walk to. On weekends they have entertainment. Add a couple friends and it equals fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Wow! A client booked this 'hotel' for me. I kid you not. It is as cozy as a crack house in the late 80's. Actually cried at how bad it was. Hair all over. Roaches. Live roaches in the ice machine. NO wifi!!!!!! Checked out at my own expense to stay somewhere lovely in Newport. DO NOT save a buck to stay here. Maybe if you are 17. It is terrible!!!!
I honestly hate to write a bad review, but would love to save someone this terrible time. :-(

• Stayed August 2013
Wantagh, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had read a number of reviews of this and other hotels in the area. This was an overnight stay in Newport to see some sights in Newport before heading home and I was very glad to have chosen The Mainstay. Great value, convenient to parkway, nice room and a courtesy shuttle that allowed me to enjoy the visit and not worry about my car and belongings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

East Hartford, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I recently rented two suites for a bachelorette party and was very happy with our stay! It was affordable and easy to check in and out. They provided round trip shuttle service for 8.50 per person which works out to be a better deal than taking a cab.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Myself and my bridal party had my bachlorette party in Newport. We stayed here because it was less pricey than some of the hotels right in downtown! It was a quick drive to the beach, liquor store, and restaurants on Thames street. They had a pool, but we did not go in. We did eat breakfast at the restaurant and that was good as well!

The room was clean and very big! The bathroom was large as well and good for 5 girls to get ready in! The room had a fridge and microwave as well! All in All a goof experience and would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Mainstay Inn? Share your experiences!