“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 20 hotels in Newport
West chester, PA
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have stayed at many Best Westerns and this was just OK. A little run down, especially the carpeting. My major complaint is that the internet in the wing I was in is absolutely AWFUL and I had to sit in the lobby for several hours to complete my work. I was offered to move but no one could guarantee that access would be any better on the other side so I didn't spend the time to repack and be re-annoyed. There is no smoking in the building so people stood outside the entry door smoking and I had to walk through a cloud of smoke every time I entered and exited. People were very nice and they do have a restaurant which is convenient. Quick access to the Navy Base is the primary plus.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

342 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Linden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

After having to put off a spring trip to Newport we finally got there this fall. All I can say is every Beast Western I have been to meets my expectations. True the building seemed to have many wings / additions but where we were was clean and maintained.
Parking on the side by the restaurant got filled up each night so you may have to walk a bit if you are staying in the wing closest to the casino street. The location was perfect for visiting the casino each night. If you want action this is a very quiet location but they do have a shuttle service with a fee per person. There is a bar in the restaurant and the food was decent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Trainer,Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just got back from a week long fall vacation. We stayed our for three nights while we explored the Newport area. I was a bit worried when I started looking at the reviews but for about $72.00 a night plus tax I could not find another deal that came close so I booked. the front desk help was pleasant and efficient. Since we are rewards members we were upgraded to a suite. We had a very large room with king bed and a sitting area with couch and comfy chair. There was also a microwave and fridge. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We had no complaints except that one sink had a slow drain but other then that all was fine. We did use the shuttle the first night but when we found out how close we were to downtown we did use our own car. We had breakfast two mornings and found the food and service to be very acceptable. While we may have been in the playground of the wealthy we are not so this was a great option for us. We spend more time outdoors then we do in the hotel and we consider this hotel a good choice for us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This ramshackle structure is easy to get lost in. It seems designed specifically to accommodate busloads of tourists deposited there each evening. It is well worn and a tired around the edges and in the middle on occasion, as well. The beds are comfortable enough. The linens and towels are fine. There is a "Steakhouse" on site that reminds those of us who remember Greyhound stations of that experience. Tried the breakfast and somehow the cook managed to get the easy over eggs served cold. The server forgot my spouse's bacon and returned with several limp and tepid pieces of soggy pork. There is nothing specific to recommend this place other than price and location for those visiting Newport. There is nothing to not recommend this place if one needs only a room for sleeping and reconnoitering the area.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the balcony rooms and you can enjoy a bit of air and a view of the parking lot; more...
Ballston Spa New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This place was clean, with a very good staff that fell in the category of you get what you pay for,unfortunately in this town you pay a good amount for not much.
This place was a typical Best Western, nothing wrong with it but no Hilton or Marriot either.
It was a stay that was fair but nothing memorable.

Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I took 100 senior citizens to this hotel for 3 nights.....One of the most pleasant hotels we have stayed in ever; staff wonderful, breakfasts were more than adequate; rooms clean and great comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Stay on floors OTHER THAN first floor!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was so nervous to stay at this Best Western after reading the reviews but really had no other options for the wine & food festival. But I must say, we were pleasantly surprised. Although when I first walked in to the lobby I smelled a faint mustiness (which I never noticed again), my room was super clean, no smell, and the bedding was really nice and comfy too. We stayed in the main part of the hotel, not one of the wings, which I think may be different and nicer.
There is a shuttle service that drives you in to town. Apparently it also services several other hotels in the area. It's a flat $8 fee during your stay. It was pretty convenient, although it's not liking staying in the heart of Newport. Our first driver, Bill, was awesome.
We ordered room service which was good with friendly and fast service. The breakfast menu is very extensive and the dining area is quite nice, not fancy, but inviting.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main tower. I was told they are larger, and nicer.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN The Mainstay Inn? Share your experiences!