“Simply the best!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Simply the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is the 3rd time I've dined at this restaurant & was fortunate enought to dine during Restaurant Week. This is the best restaurant I've ever dined at in my life. Chef Bouchard is a master at creating superb French cuisine--he understands that sauces & herbs should not mask the flavor of the meat, poultry or fish. The portions are perfect. Hot dishes are served hot, cold are cold. The wine list is wonderful & waiters are knowledgeable in pairing wines to the food. Great selection of wine by the glass so you can enjoy a different wine with each course. The souffles here are heavenly--no really-it's as if you are having a bite of a fluffy cloud. Service is refined without being stuffy. This is what dining is all about!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lake City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay very much. Everything was clean, neat and comfortable. We travelled with our children ages 10 and 14. They were very accommodating. The smell of French cooking wafting up the stairs was intoxicating! Our room faced an Irish pub which was vacant due to the off season but looks like night life would abound in the summer. Very very please with our stay. Gourmet breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: No fitness center or pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Rhode Islander
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had often heard of the excellent French Cuisine at Bouchard Inn, so when my February birthday came along, Ely (my Dear Wife) decided it would be a great time to not only experience the food but to stay at the Inn as well. I can emphatically say we were not disappointed on either count. In fact we were so happily impressed, that we stayed over an additional night.

To a very large extent the people we encountered had a much to do with our happy experience and decision to extend our stay. The first was Phil, the full time Inn Keeper, who was helpful and courteous from the moment we arrived, coming out of the Inn to the street where I was waiting in the car for Ely. He patiently gave me the directions needed to access the Inn's off street parking.

The second was Dan, our waiter for dinner each evening. Dan knows the restaurant menu and Chef Alfred Bouchard's methods of preparation like he wrote a book about it. Not only is he courteous, pleasant and accommodating, but he makes an outstanding Martini and we look forward to the next time we can collaborate with him for dinner.

Lastly, but only due to order of appearance and introduction, is Sarah Bouchard, the Inn owner and a most gracious host. Our connection to her was immediate and she made us feel as though we were longtime friends, going out of her way to talk to us whenever encountered. She is also responsible for the stylish decoration of the dinning rooms and the several rooms of the Inn itself. As soon as we first entered our room, we felt comfortable and at home, and immediately began to consider staying an additional day. The evening meal positively capped that decision. Our Thanks to all at Bouchard's for a memorable stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I planned a last minute trip to Newport. We were looking for a nice getaway from the hustle of our daily lives. The inn was just beautiful and so well kept. The room was so comfy and breakfast was a nice treat. We stayed in The Rose Room and it was perfect. We met the owners the next morning when we were leaving and they were just as lovely. Thanks you for your hospitality. Ron and Danielle Maver

• Stayed February 2013
Lynn, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

First of all--my review is of both the inn & mostly the restaurant because this time I had the pleasure of experiencing both. I've dined last spring at the restaurant & decided to stay here to celebrate the new year & have dinner. The Inn & Restaurant are located on the end of Thames Street opposite from the downtown area. Inn also has a separate building which we stayed in, The Harbour House, Cynthia Room, on 2nd level. Room does not have a view of the ocean but is located on side street away from the pub next to the inn so there is no noise. Bed was perfect with nice linens. Just a little cafe table & 2 chairs to sit. Bathroom has walk in shower, which I prefer. Heating & A/C unit is very loud & annoying. Had to shut off because it was that distracting. Fortunately, room was not cold. Bathroom has a separate heater which is not loud. Room has refrigerator with waters, juices & milk for Keurig machine which provides variety of coffee & tea. Fresh baked pastries & yogurt w/fresh fruit left in a bag on door handle for breakfast. Delicious. However, the best part of staying here is the phenominal restaurant. We dined here last Spring & was so impressed we wanted to celebrate New Year's Eve here which is why we booked a room at the Inn. The New Year's Eve dinner was pre-fixe & was beyond spectacular! Everything about the restaurant is 5 Star: Food is incredible: imaginative, creative, prepared & presented perfectly--plate after plate. Great wine selections paired specifically for each 5 courses served. Chef Bouchard came into the small dining rooms to announce the dinner choices & the wines selected. I didn't think this dinner could top the ala carte dinner we had in the Spring. I was wrong. We were blown away. I actually cried--yes I did--when the course of rack of lamb pounded into 1 chop & encased in a pastry was served. It was perfectly cooked medium rare inside & was such an impressive presentation. The service was impeccable from the waiter, the food runner, bus staff: all smiling & friendly. Eager to please. Nothing left to want. Great keyboardist which we sat next to yet never was too loud that we couldn't hear each other. Each table decorated w/party hats & noisemakers. Glass of champagne to toast the New Year. Chef, his wife Sarah who is the Dining Room Manager, our waiter Max, the service staff: All came by to wish us a Happy New Year. We lingered a while after & never felt rushed to leave. Then all we had to do was walk outside around the corner & up to our room. We were so happy with our dinner, we booked our room & dinner reservation for next year. Saw Chef & Sarah next morning & mentioned how much we loved it. We will be back again the spring to celebrate my guy's birthday.

Room Tip: Cynthia Room is 2nd level in Harbor House, which is a building located behind and/or around the corn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I returned last night from Newport. My daughter and I went up for the weekend to celebrate her birthday. My son lives on Young street so we wanted to be within walking distance. I decided to splurge for her birthday and for the convenience of the location. Best decision I made. I was so pleasantly surprised. We were a bit early and the door was locked. The painters outside were so helpful. They called for us and then saw them in the window. Everything was so much nicer than I expected. I knew about the bar next door and my son suggested I ask for a room on the other side. I mentioned this to the owner and they immediately offered the room in the back. Such a cute room. I loved it. So very comfortable, the parking was so easy and accesible to the room. The breakfast was so nice. The best croissant I have had!! The parfait was great as well as the coffee. I would definitely go back. We left early and was looking for the owners to thank them personally. Hopefully they will read this review and know how grateful we were for everything. We will be back!! Thanks again for everything!! the Bouchard will always be remembered fondly.

Room Tip: Great location. Walking distance to everything.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Endicott, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

When we arrived the owner was waiting outside on the street to greet us and show us where to park! The inn is very conveniently located on the Main Street with all of the little shops, cafes and restaurants. It is within walking distance to the wharf and some mansions. We drove to the Breaker mansion, this is a must see. Also remember to take a drive down the 10 mile ocean drive and take a walk on the cliff walk. Phil immediately showed us to our room. We were on a budget and so we picked the ribbon room. It was a great deal since the location was so good and the room was very cute, however it was right next to a very loud bar. We didn't think the would be a problem since it was so cold out, but the bar had a plastic tent set up right by our room window. We were kept awake until 2 am with loud, drunk people partying and screaming and cars honking as they went by. I think all of the other rooms were not near this bar. We loved the delicious muffins and croissants in the morning, along with yogurt parfaits, fresh juice, etc. Phil was so nice to make a special pot of hot chocolate for us since we don't drink coffee. There is no common room in this inn , so they drop off the breakfast outside your room around 8 am. Overall we were happy with our choice but would not pick the room again. I think if we spent $40. more we would be away from the noisy bar.

Room Tip: Splurge on a room that overlooks the ocean if you can afford it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bouchard Inn? Share your experiences!