“Great Newport B&B and GREAT value” 5 of 5 stars

Historic Hill Inn
105 Pelham Street, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #27 of 101 Newport B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Great Newport B&B and GREAT value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

This is our favorite place to stay in Newport!

Donna and Richard are great hosts. The building is located perfectly. It is just a couple of minutes walk to either Bannisters Wharf and Thames St or to Bellevue Ave, but it's on a nice quiet street so you don't get bothered by all the kids partying on weekend nights.

This is without a doubt the best value for a B&B in Newport. We have looked at other B&B's and they either charge too much or are located much further from the center of things. This is the main reason we stay here.

The house is very clean and the rooms are very well decorated. Breakfast is pretty simple with cereal, muffins, toast, etc. Richard and Donna will sit with you and help plan your day.

They also have free parking which is a HUGE benefit in Newport. We can park the car and walk pretty much everywhere right from the house.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I would definately stay again!! Innkeepers were super nice and very accomodating.
The inn is very clean and tastefully decorated.

Perfect location, walking distance to all the great restaurants, shops, and night life.

Parking area attached which made parking very convenient.

Resonable rates.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
uxbridge, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

My husband and I recently visited Newport, RI and we stayed at Historic Hill Inn. While I don't usually write reviews on places that I stay at, I truly felt it was necessary to comment on my stay here. My experience was one that I truly won't forget in a hurry. I truly was impressed. This inn was unbelievably clean. You could literally eat off the floor. The Inn keepers, Donna and Richard, truly displayed nothing shy of the utmost professionalism. They were extremely pleasant to deal with, and they went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. They offered information about the town and little perks that would benefit us that we would never have known about. Their prices are competitve with the rest in the area as we did our homework before booking our stay. The location of this inn is perfect, we never needed our car. We could walk everywhere. The inn has it's own driveway, we didn't have to park on the street, which is narrow. The decor in this inn was one that was so perfect and so cute, sort of victorian style. Extremely homey. The room was comfortable and very clean. Bed was very comfortable. You can tell Donna and Richard take great pride in their business and go out of their way to make their customers nothing shy of overly satisfied. I will go back to this inn in a heartbeat, will never consider staying anywhere else. I would recommend this inn withoiut hesitation to anyone wanting to visit Newoprt. RI

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nashua, NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

My boyfriend and I had never stayed at a b&b before so were were skeptical. We stayed here because every other place was either booked or way too expensive, even though this place was $229/night plus tax for the king room, BUT parking was included in her driveway which was huge because all the other inns had their customers parking in the street that was REALLY narrow. The parking alone, was wonderful.

Would we go back? Probably not because we found some other places that were more expensive, but right in the heart of Newport. If you like the b&b experience, don't want to spend too much, but want walking distance to downtown, definitely stay here.

The house is old, circa 1839, and it smells like it. Our room was very clean, as was the house. We had our own bathroom and it was small, but was just fine for the one night we stayed.

Donna, the owner, was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area.

I would recommend staying here if you like that kind of accomodation. We are used to staying in a hotel, so this wasn't the best, but it was perfect for what we were doing.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Culver City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Very nice hosts and very cute B & B. I had a huge tub and plenty of hot water. My bed was comfy and the breakfast spread was small but lovely (I'm not picky).

Handy little parking lot right next to the Inn was great and it had free wi-fi in the house - an unexpected perk! The location of this place is pretty terrific and a main selling point of the Inn.

Only mild complaint was that they didn't have new full shampoos and bar soap in the bathroom, that seemed a little cheap to me, but I survived somehow :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
travelling Europe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

June 2008
Deb & Mal, UK.
We have just returned from our trip to Newport - the area is a brilliant place to visit, with many attractions and great restaurants, 'brick alley' must be on your list for a great meal and first class servce.

We stayed at the Historic Hill Inn which was an awful experience, we stayed in the 2 bed apartment which was a good size with the exception of the shower room and 1/2. The apartment was not clean and had a constant fusty/damp smell in the air, (thankgoodness I had my perfume with me which was a good substitute for airfreshener). The place was crammed full of what can only be discribed as brick a brack (although this may be to some peoples taste). A new bathroom , a good clean and coat of paint, along with new sofas and furnishings would go a long, long way with this apartment! The pictures on the website are not an accruate reflection of the property itself (at least not when we visited). We did contemplate moving to another property, but after a 4 hour drive and being with our relatives (who had been kind enough to book the accomodation for us) we decided to stick it out, as we were only staying for 2 nights. You could take or leave the breakfast, I would prefer to leave it based on the lack of cleanliness of the place. Donna the hostess was lovely and gave us some good information on restaurants, and places to visit etc. it's such a shame the property lets her down! Brownie the dog was a character in himself.

I would not visit this B&B again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cleanliness & furnishings
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Toronto, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Great location - walking distance to town and restaurants. Owners were lovely and very helpful without being invasive. Downside of our two night stay: we were not told that there was a resident dog, which was fine for us, but may be problematic for those with allergies; NO hot water our first night - I mean NONE, and just a large trickle of water pressure; no space to actually place luggage b/c the room was so small; bed sheets were clean, but stained; no shampoo etc. provided; walls in dire need of fresh paint; "breakfast" was to be ready at 8am, but when we arrived at 8:45am it was not ready. Not recommended for the claustrophobic. Again, location and hosts were great, but the actual room experience was very disappointing. This review is reflective of our one room only, as we did not see any other rooms to make comment. In fairness, we did receive a mid-week off-season price, which redeemed some of the disappointment.

• Liked — Hosts
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Historic Hill Inn? Share your experiences!