“Style and Grace” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Vanderbilt Grace

You added The Vanderbilt Grace to your Saves list
The Vanderbilt Grace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Mary Street, Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Vanderbilt Hall Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Newport
“Style and Grace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment you check in, you are greeted with a nice gentleman who welcomes you with a glass of champagne. What a great start. We arrived before check in time and didn't expect our room to be ready, it was and we got to enjoy the property earlier than expected. A very attentive bellhop parked our car and brought our bags to our beautiful LOFT SUITE. He showed us the ins and outs of this gorgeous suite. Above the bed were really neat sky windows with electric shades, There were two bathrooms and appointed beautifully. Really interesting books were in the room and a spacious living room. We went out to the Cliffwalk and were asked before leaving if we needed directions, meal reservations, etc. the staff is incredible. They make you feel so welcome but not all over you so that it's uncomfortable. Just perfect. A true European type breakfast in the conservatory was served the next morning with champagne. The breakfast staff was professional and made you feel right at home.

If you want to truly enjoy Newport, Rhode Island, you need to stay here because you will leave feeling very special while staying in a mansion home that is like a museum with a large collection of original illustrations. Don't miss out on staying here, it's just so special.

Room Tip: Every room seems lovely. We stayed in the loft suite, 2 floors. Awesome!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Harvard, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My Mom, sisters and I went for the weekend and stayed in the 2 BR Grace suite which had 2 fireplaces. We had such a wonderful time! All of the staff were fabulous and very attentive. You have to get spa treatments... Allison, Liz and Marlo are great! Also, make sure to have dinner at the Muse, it is an experience in itself and the food was fabulous!.... Justin our server and Bill the manager were terrific, and Allison even sang that evening! Also, Sarah and Andrew hotel staff were always there for every need. Can't wait to go back again. It is a bit expensive but it was definitely worth it!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Grace suites on first floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I are expecting our first child in a few months, so we decided to take a babymoon/long weekend to the Vanderbilt Grace in Newport, RI. Everything from the property to the service was exceptional. The staff at the Vanderbilt Grace are very gracious hosts and they definitely do everything in their power to ensure their guests receive the best service. Treating yourself to the spa is a must!!!! The location is also a plus. We were able to walk everywhere and it was so convenient to the wharfs, shops, and best restaurants in Newport. We will definitely be back for another long weekend. Thank you Vanderbilt Grace for making our trip so special!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We took a long weekend here and loved it. The staff were friendly, efficient, accommodating, yet low-key. Rooms were large and comfortable. Breakfast in the conservatory was a great way to start the day, and the spa experience was very enjoyable. Very convenient to Thames street, restaurants and shopping. Restaurant Muse on premises was amazing, but pricey. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Took the family for a spur of the moment mid-winter rest. We booked the Family Package - Winter break. The trip started well: The reciptionist who helped me through the selection we had an amazing expirence. Very nice, pleasent and customer focused.

Upon arrival wonderful check in and fantastic help getting the full family up to the room. We had lots of little bags but not a frown to be found just positive help.

The loft suite was awesome. Very clean. Very cool layout. I would recommend to anyone traveling with family. My wife liked the highend English bathroom amenities. (And, she can be hard to impress).

The room service for dinner and breakfast was amazing. Very high quality food and service that you would expect for this price.

Check out was a disaster and ruined what would have been a 5star stay. I mentioned if there was a discount for not getting the free movie night (movie rental, popcorn, snack delivered to the room). This was my fault for not scheduling but I will say no one brought it up to me either. I was prepared to let this go but checked with website package details and also reallized that they forgot the family photo and the frame as a keep sake. I asked about getting this or taken off the bill. "Ohh. Umm. We can mail you something." Was the response that I got. In other words, your-a-pain-for asking.

Honestly I was taken aback. I'm the type of person that wont complain or send food back if it not to my likeing. So this was a big step for me. And I got nothing. I felt like they wanted to settle the bill, get my cash and get me out of the building.

So, in summary amazing facility, food and rooms. But watch out on booking packages. Make sure you are getting what you are paying for. We didnt.

Sorry to the rest of the service staff who warmed my families heart but check out killed the rating.

Happy travel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MarinaGrace, General Manager at The Vanderbilt Grace, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about many elements of your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback, however we were of course saddened to hear that you left with disappointment. The family package has been greatly received by many of our guests, which makes it all the more disheartening to read. We pride ourselves on offering a unique experience to each guest, but on this occasion fell short and for this we apologise.

I do hope this will not prevent you from considering Grace Vanderbilt for another stay, as you can rest assured that we will go the extra mile for you on your return.

Best wishes,
Marina Aslanidou
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my second visit to the Vanderbilt Grace in the past few months. I travel extensively for pleasure and this hotel is outstanding in all respects. The hotel and the rooms are beautiful, the service is absolutely impeccable. This is a hotel where from the moment you walk through the door every single staff member you meet is totally dedicated to making your stay memorable. The Muse restaurant which I have now eaten at twice is excellent. No matter where you travel the Vanderbilt Grace will be hard to beat in all respects. The spa is also first rate. Whether you are traveling with family or there for a romantic weekend you will love it.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this hotel. I and my family have stayed in three and they were all wonderf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend to celebrate his 50th birthday and what an experience! The staff was so incredibly wonderful, they cater to make your stay the best possible and they succeeded because we cant wait to go back. Everything from the service, food, room and spa was exceptional. Thank you Vanderbilt staff for everything that you did to make our weekend special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vanderbilt Grace? Share your experiences!