“Fantastic small-hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Vanderbilt Grace

Save Saved
You added The Vanderbilt Grace to your Saves list
The Vanderbilt Grace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Mary Street, Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Vanderbilt Hall Hotel)   |
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in Newport
Weston, Connecticut
“Fantastic small-hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We took a long weekend here and loved it. The staff were friendly, efficient, accommodating, yet low-key. Rooms were large and comfortable. Breakfast in the conservatory was a great way to start the day, and the spa experience was very enjoyable. Very convenient to Thames street, restaurants and shopping. Restaurant Muse on premises was amazing, but pricey. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

422 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Took the family for a spur of the moment mid-winter rest. We booked the Family Package - Winter break. The trip started well: The reciptionist who helped me through the selection we had an amazing expirence. Very nice, pleasent and customer focused.

Upon arrival wonderful check in and fantastic help getting the full family up to the room. We had lots of little bags but not a frown to be found just positive help.

The loft suite was awesome. Very clean. Very cool layout. I would recommend to anyone traveling with family. My wife liked the highend English bathroom amenities. (And, she can be hard to impress).

The room service for dinner and breakfast was amazing. Very high quality food and service that you would expect for this price.

Check out was a disaster and ruined what would have been a 5star stay. I mentioned if there was a discount for not getting the free movie night (movie rental, popcorn, snack delivered to the room). This was my fault for not scheduling but I will say no one brought it up to me either. I was prepared to let this go but checked with website package details and also reallized that they forgot the family photo and the frame as a keep sake. I asked about getting this or taken off the bill. "Ohh. Umm. We can mail you something." Was the response that I got. In other words, your-a-pain-for asking.

Honestly I was taken aback. I'm the type of person that wont complain or send food back if it not to my likeing. So this was a big step for me. And I got nothing. I felt like they wanted to settle the bill, get my cash and get me out of the building.

So, in summary amazing facility, food and rooms. But watch out on booking packages. Make sure you are getting what you are paying for. We didnt.

Sorry to the rest of the service staff who warmed my families heart but check out killed the rating.

Happy travel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MarinaGrace, General Manager at The Vanderbilt Grace, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about many elements of your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback, however we were of course saddened to hear that you left with disappointment. The family package has been greatly received by many of our guests, which makes it all the more disheartening to read. We pride ourselves on offering a unique experience to each guest, but on this occasion fell short and for this we apologise.

I do hope this will not prevent you from considering Grace Vanderbilt for another stay, as you can rest assured that we will go the extra mile for you on your return.

Best wishes,
Marina Aslanidou
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my second visit to the Vanderbilt Grace in the past few months. I travel extensively for pleasure and this hotel is outstanding in all respects. The hotel and the rooms are beautiful, the service is absolutely impeccable. This is a hotel where from the moment you walk through the door every single staff member you meet is totally dedicated to making your stay memorable. The Muse restaurant which I have now eaten at twice is excellent. No matter where you travel the Vanderbilt Grace will be hard to beat in all respects. The spa is also first rate. Whether you are traveling with family or there for a romantic weekend you will love it.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this hotel. I and my family have stayed in three and they were all wonderf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend to celebrate his 50th birthday and what an experience! The staff was so incredibly wonderful, they cater to make your stay the best possible and they succeeded because we cant wait to go back. Everything from the service, food, room and spa was exceptional. Thank you Vanderbilt staff for everything that you did to make our weekend special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The highlight of my weekend in Newport, Rhode Island, was my time spent at Vanderbilt Grace, where we recently attended a friend's wedding. I learned while there that Vanderbilt Grace is recently under new management and, as a stickler for top-notch service, it did not disappoint.

Walking into the hotel, I was immediately transported to Newport's Gilded Age, with all its splendor and opulence. I want a similar conservatory in the house of my dreams! The staff was genuinely friendly; needs were anticipated and promptly met without being overbearing. The food and drinks at Muse, the hotel restaurant, were also very VERY good. And its central location allows you to walk to many of Newport's other sites and attractions.

I loved Vanderbilt Grace, and a return trip there is an absolute certainty.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My wife and me just spent the festive season at the Vanderbilt-All in all a truly amazing holiday - they do such a good job there that one can't help but enjoy oneself to the max. Recently renovated the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. There is a good balance, in both rooms and public areas between new and modern design and comforts with classic old mansion hotel style and elegance.It's a Museum! We were welcomed with Champagne by the General Manager Marina and it seemed that everybody knew us already by name. Brandon the bellman took good care of our lugagge and our car, even washed it for us.
We stayed in a Junior Suite 500, not the highest cathegory but were impressed. Spaceous room with high ceiling, two TVs and a bathroom with all amenities and enough space for my wifes belongings.
The receptionist Joseph was very helpfull and was able to provide us with great sugestions in regards to sights and resatuarants. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we were at the hotels restaurant Muse.It was both days very busy but Joseph managed to get us a table. An amazing kitchen and very attentive service. As my wife did not drink any wine it was great to see that they were serving about 20 different wines by the glass. Breakfast was a celebration! Before I could ask for an Espresso, Anna offered us a glass of Champagne. There was a good selection at breakfast with fresh fruits, Greek yogurt, cereals, French croissants and cold cuts.Upon departure we even got two bottles of water and coffee for the road.
My wife insists on returning in the summer, I hope we will be able to return as the 33 rooms are sold out quickly over the summer weekends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This review - in fairness - is only as a result of being asked (amazingly) by the Vanderbilt Grace to do so. There's some VERY good, but (especially at the level this hotel purports to operate, and matches with its costs) there's some unforgivable.

The back-story. Our first New Year together, we elected to stay for the night (highly recommended, and (under previous ownership) very much enjoyed by my partner). Surely a no-brainer. Then, at the hotel's suggestion, we cancelled dinner arrangements elsewhere to enjoy the "Gala Dinner". With the Muse being full, they were extending the offer to the Conservatory - same conditions, same menu, same attire (several checks were made by us as they first said "black tie", then mentioned "casual", and when we specifically asked... "black tie").

The Room. Lovely. Perfect blend of modern yet classical. Not much storage space (especially in the bathroom, where if a man struggles to find a spot for his razor and deodorant, a woman is in deep trouble!).

The Food. Perfect. Everything was of the best quality and perfectly prepared, and presented... at dinner. Breakfast was the epitome of disorganization and slowness - night and day.

The Event. Not great (both subjectively and objectively), but with sweet moments. The dinner, while delicious, was (as I mention above) served in the Conservatory. It turns out we missed the "change of attire" call... to casual. We were seated next to a family, dressed in jeans and tee-shirts, with two young kids that were so tired one of the parents had to eventually take one of them to their room. I have no issue with the family. In fact, we both felt hugely sorry for the position THEY found themselves in - they were so embarrassed. However, I'm amazed to find a hotel selling $125+ dinners on New Years Eve without hinting that those guests will be likely to share it with very young children - unfair to all. New Year came along and, while it was sweet to see that many of the hotel staff came "home" to celebrate (we actually really enjoyed hanging out with them in the main lobby - cooks, serving staff, and more - as the ball dropped), it was slightly odd to watch the bar staff fill staff glasses to the brim (repeatedly), and then carefully measure out the exact prescribed amount for the few paying guests... huh?

The Other Event. Not good. At about 3:00 am, water started streaming from the room above into the bathroom in our suite! The occupants were taking a shower, the pipe broke, the rest is obvious. Reception staff did promptly arrive, brought lots of towels, and then (pleasantly) told us to "have a nice day"... amazing. The following morning, no mention, no apology, nothing.

The Staff. Extremely pleasant/nice, but clearly without direction or purpose. There seemed to be little/no management, and the staff were drifting around being (like I say, extremely) "nice"... that's not enough.

Overall, if you want the visuals of decadence and wealth, you won't go wrong with the Vanderbilt Grace, and the staff are the most pleasant you'll find. If you want the service and overall quality-of-experience that should accompany those visuals, and from a hotel that commands top prices and claims to do so, don't bother. This place has the bricks and mortar (and, let's be clear, excellent kitchen staff), and well-meaning staff. It does not have the processes and attention to detail that is simply a prerequisite for those who spend many hundreds of dollars per night for a bed. I wish them well, if they're listening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MarinaGrace, General Manager at The Vanderbilt Grace, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Ronnie,

Thank you for providing comments on your stay at Vanderbilt Grace. Indeed we do ask our guests to post feedback as it is a great way of sharing experiences and also helps us to improve where necessary. It was a pleasure to read about the positive elements, but we are extremely disappointed to learn of the areas which fell short of our usual high standards. I am glad that we have since had a chance to make contact with you directly and offer our apologies, as this is certainly not the experience any of our guests should have at any time. We are happy to have gone some way towards resolving the matter and do hope to see you at Vanderbilt Grace again soon.

Kind Regards,
Marina Aslanidou

Been to The Vanderbilt Grace? Share your experiences!