“amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Vanderbilt Grace

You added The Vanderbilt Grace to your Saves list
The Vanderbilt Grace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Mary Street, Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Vanderbilt Hall Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Everything was amazing from the rooms to the restaurant. spa was good as well.

I woud recomend it to anyone. poeple were very friendly, staff took care of us

stay in room 203 - amazing!!!

muse was verygood as well, but castle hill was the best reataurant in town

Room Tip: 203!!! this room is amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Vanderbilt during our short trip to Rhode Island. There are many Inns and hotels in the area, but I am 100% happy with our choice in this hotel. The staff was polite and welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. We had also been booked to stay here a few weeks prior but due to Hurricane Sandy, we were unable to leave New York and had to cancel at the last minute. The staff was 100% accomodating and waived all fees for such a hasty cancelation. We rebooked and I couldn't be happier.

The atmosphere of the hotel was fantastic. It was pretty quiet when we went, making it all the more personal. Anything you need, just ask the staff and they will do what they can to make your stay even better ... We didn't eat at the restaurant, Muse, because we had other plans, but it looked great and I would suggest checking it out if should you stay at the Vanderbilt.

Continental breakfast was included in our stay and if you go in the warmer months their Roof Top Deck is something to see. There is a bar, tables, chairs, and a great view. Since we went in November the roof was open but obviously the bar was closed. Though you were welcome to bring drinks up from the downstairs bar, it was still pretty cold up there, but the views were beautiful and we were able to get a few shots around sunsent.

The rooms were clean and quaint. They had everything you could possibly want when staying in a hotel. The Vanderbilt is located right off all the main streets and everything is pretty much in walking distance. The Cliff Walk isn't down the block, but if you are up for a walk it can be done as we did it. If you walk down the block from the hotel you are on the strip where the shops and seaport area is so, again, very convenient.

I would definitely suggest looking into this hotel if you are planning a trip to the Newport area.

Room Tip: I can't say much about the room location, other than I believe we may have been under the roof d...
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing getaway for Thanksgiving and the Vanderbilt Grace was the ideal place to go. The staff was attentive, but never intrusive, and made sure everything was just perfect for us. Lovely room, great food, elegant atmosphere. Beautiful view from rooftop deck. Easy walk to shopping area. We will definitely return and stay longer next time!

boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed in the 500 sq ft Jr. Suite and while pretty pricey, it was gorgeous! The sitting room was separated from the bedroom by an open backed book case that had a flat screen TV on both sides. The furnishings and decorations were top notch and I mentally took notes on how I was going to decorate my own home. Very comfortable bed with luxury bedding and your choice of aromatics at your bedside. Nice little "kitchenette" area to make coffee/tea with microwave and mini fridge. The hotel itself was very classy without being stuffy and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We ate dinner (Thanksgiving) at the hotel restaurant, the Muse. Nothing wrong with it, but way overpriced. $225 including tip for 2 people. I think we had 4 glasses of wine that certainly upped the tab, but still, it was a turkey dinner, come on. We should have found a local down home sort of place instead. I would definitely stay at this beautiful place again!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We booked a late fall weekend which we thought would be quiet but it happened to be restaurant week so it was a little crazy in town for seating at popular eateries, but our stay at the Grace made it much better. I just can’t say enough good things about the staff here. They went above and beyond to help us with our restaurant reservations and were gracious and cheerful every time we spoke to them. The busmen who manage the parking and valet services were always right there when it came to service. The restaurant and lounge staffs were excellent. Literally from the moment we walked through the front until the last goodbye, the staff was attentive and helpful. Most staffers are multi-lingual. The room was very well appointed; nearly all the linens and towels were brand new. The room was updated perfectly. The bed was firm. I used the gym facilities in the basement and all the equipment was all in working order. The pool and sauna was very nice. They use a non-chlorine pool sanitizer which was very skin friendly. The morning breakfast was very nice as well, and if you want to upgrade to a hot breakfast it is available. The property is located close enough to town so that you could walk if you want to; we drove and parked near the wharf.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have some dormer encroachment. Stay on the second floor if possible.
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Vanderbilt Grace is the perfect place to stay in Newport! The hotel is a wonderful mix of classic and modern luxury with a professional staff that is very friendly and attentive to your every need. Our initial room was close to an elevator and as a seasoned traveler and light sleeper I knew this would not work. The hotel staff immediately repsonded by giving us a complimentary upgrade to a very quiet room that was spilt level with the bedroom upstairs in a quiet sanctuary. We also had a lovely dinner at the hotel restaurant Muse with a table just off the fireplace which was perfect on a cold fall evening. The complimentary breakfast in the sunroom just off the garden was the perfect way to start the day after your morning swim in the gorgeous indoor pool. The hotel is also very centrally located and an easy walk to everything. When checking out I was also surprised to learn the hotel valet parking was complimentary since it was off season ....so all of this combined also made for a great value considering the excellent quality of the stay. We will definitely be back!

Seekonk, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visit Newport every year at this time to spend time with my sister and her husband who stay at the Castle Hill Inn. While browsing the internet for a place to stay, I remembered the Vanderbilt Grace from visiting at least 20 years ago. We had a great time then, and it was even better than I remembered. My husband and I checked in around 6 pm to a wonderful reception that included a glass of champagne. The staff is fantastic and very accommodating from housekeeping, bellboys, bartenders, waiters, and the attentive and very helpful people at the reception desks! As we were playing a game of billiards we were greeted by someone who I assume was the chef, with some hot hor dourves that were delicious. I don't know if this is customary but it was a nice touch! When we arrived we were upgraded to a nicer room that was available with a king size bed that we had requested but was not confirmed. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel that was fabulous as well as enjoying the beautiful pool and sauna. Have a drink at the bar - my cosmo was made to perfection! It was a short but " really sweet" stay, and we will definitely return. The staff went out of their way to ensure that our stay was wonderful! Thank you for your hospitality - this is what it's all about and you've got it!!

Room Tip: I would highly recommend this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vanderbilt Grace? Share your experiences!