“A beautiful experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Vanderbilt Grace

You added The Vanderbilt Grace to your Saves list
The Vanderbilt Grace
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Mary Street, Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Vanderbilt Hall Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Newport
Westport, Connecticut
“A beautiful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This beautiful historic home has blossomed under new management, and we have rarely felt more welcomed. The "valued guest" reception began with the car valet who greeted us when we first arrived, and continued with every person we interacted with at the hotel, including the General Manager . From complimentary champagne in the reception lobby, to the elegant tucked away bar and billard room, to our roomy and tastefully furnished suite, to the manicured garden terrace, this small boutique hotel radiated a "Gilded Age" Experience. The location was a bonus - on a guiet street, but within just a few blocks of the bustling wharf area in downtown Newport. We will definately return!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is simply wonderful. The staff is ultra-friendly and super-helpful. The accomodations are modern and exquisite. The location is unbeatable. The downside is the price so not sure I would shell out all that loot on a personal trip, but for a business trip it's my first choice in Newport.

Room Tip: I personally do not like rooms (especially bedrooms) with slanted gabled ceilings, so when I make my...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The lovely Vanderbilt Grace with our two children.
This is a world class hotel with the type of service one sees only in the very best European hotels.As world class travelers it takes a lot to impress.First of all the hotel itself it just gorgeous and elegant.Second the service of the whole staff is just amazing,they really make you feel catered to and pampered.Finally the rooms them selves are very beautiful as well comfortable and the food is fantastic.Even though we have food allergies it was just easy and delicious .Honestly can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our five day stay except we are planning another week long trip there next month!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I have been going to Newport, RI every summer for my entire life. I know the town well and hold it near and dear to my heart as an incredible place to go, especially in the summer. While I usually stay at a friend’s home, I decided this trip to try the Vanderbilt Grace. I have stayed at the Mykonos Grace on 2 different occasions, so after seeing that Grace Hotels had expanded to Newport, I decided to give it a try. I had never heard of this hotel before but I am now thrilled that I now do.

The hotel is quant, charming luxurious and comfortable. The atmosphere is very fitting for Newport with its nautical theme. The rooms are well designed, offering very comfortable beds, nice furnishings, excellent bathrooms and a very well stocked mini-bar. This is a standard for all Grace Hotels.

While I loved the space and the atmosphere, there is one element that stood out that I believe to be the most important component of any hotel. The service and the staff are excellent. They understand that this is a boutique hotel and they develop a personal rapport with the guests. The doormen seem to understand your habits and your interests. I was there for a weekend with some friends and they knew where to point us in the right direction for fun. The concierge and front desk staff spent personal time to understand that I wanted to sail, and they arranged for an afternoon sailing trip on one of the old America's Cup racing yachts. Their spa facilities are superior to other boutique hotels, and the new restaurant is a worthy alternative to the Black Pearl.

Overall my experience was excellent, but the staff stood out more then anything. Grace Hotels has done it again and truly has great team in Newport, RI.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

As a frequent a long time customer of the Vanderbilt Grace sister properties in Maine, I had very high expectations of my visit to Newport. These expectations were totally exceeded in every way, from the personal and professional attention of the superb staff, to the intimate feel of property itself, which was at once classically elegant and freshly modern. My only regret is not having had the time to try their restaurant, Muse by Jonathan Cartwright, which I am sure is on par with his other standout restaurants. Andrew at the bar is an impressive hospitality professional.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here in April for two nights. The hotel is really great. The location is excellent and the service is truly amazing. We experience such high levels of personal service unlike what we have experienced even in the best hotels in the world. Matt and his team were amazing hosts catering to our every whim. The restaurant is also amazing and I heard they are opening a new restaurant from a famous chef... He was there when we were doing preparation so we got to try the food and WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!!!

• Stayed April 2011
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I feel like a party pooper not going a long with all of the other reviews that give such high praises to the Vanderbilt. The hotel is lovely and the staff is very nice but simply put, it is just not worth $600 per night.

My husband and I travel quite a bit and we like to stay at all levels of properties depending on where we are and what we are in the mood for. We decided on the Vanderbilt because of the wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor.

The Vanderbilt is like a lovely bed and breakfast. The rooms are well appointed, the staff is pleasant and accommodating and the location is close to town but on a quiet street. The architecture of the building is gorgeous and it is fun to stay in a house built by one of the Vanderbilts, especially after taking the "Mansion" tour.

Here are the things that kept this hotel from being a luxury accommodation:

The staff was mostly sweet, inexperienced college kids with little training. At breakfast we waited 15 minutes for coffee and practically had to beg to have our cups re-filled. Our young waiter had difficulty remembering what we asked him for. The hotel manager apologized for the poor service and said it was because they were so busy. However, she just stood by and watched as it was happening but never actually chipped in to help the kids or to offer guidance.
The front bellmen were also college kids. We waited for long periods of time to get our bikes each day and to have them locked at the end of the day because the kids got distracted and pulled away by other customers.
The cleaning staff also had some troubles. The carpeted elevator floor was annoyingly dirty everyday. Our tissues were not replaced when they ran out.

The walls are also very thin - we were awoken two times by guests outside our door (we were near the elevator). They were just speaking in normal voices but it seemed to echo into our room during the middle of night hours.
Finally the air conditioner in our room was the old fashioned kind. It would turn on to cool the room, once it hit the desired temperature, it would turn off and get really warm for a while.
I know the the above complaints are all pretty minor and I probably wouldn't even mention them if we paid a lesser amount. But for $600.00 per night, you should get something pretty amazing.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vanderbilt Grace? Share your experiences!