“Sunset” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Castle Hill Inn Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 203 restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ocean Drive
Description: The Mansion's chefs artfully craft fresh local fish, regional meats, and produce into a distinctly native, seasonal menu, served in four dining rooms within the Inn. On The Lawn, the epitome of classic New England al fresco dining, think small plates and summer cocktails delivered right to your Adirondack chair. From creative cocktails to appetizers to desserts, imaginative presentation and exceptional taste characterize Castle Hill Inn's fine Dining Experiences.
Delaware City, Delaware
“Sunset”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Did not eat here--just went for a bottle of wine and to watch the sunset one night. You are able to get a bottle of wine/drinks from the bar inside (there is a bar outside yet was not open when we were there) and take your drinks out to the chairs on the lawn outside. The water is right infront of you and makes for an extremely relaxing sunset. Would recommend this one night for anyone visiting!

Visited October 2012

78% Recommend
Wallingford, Connecticut
“best place for a quiet family dinner, great service, food, & views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I have been to Newport countless times, somehow missed this gem. My relatives surprised me with a perfect evening and dinner here this past Sunday. The views of the bay are superb, the dining room is small, quiet and very comfortable. The service was the perfect. Swordfish was the best that I have ever had. Everyone loved their dinner. I would gladly return. I would not recommend this to anyone that has a "Chili's palate or on a "Chili's budget". Nor would I want to see children there, unless they had their manners on. Get a sitter. Dress up and make reservations.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Excellent food, service, & atmosphere! Perfect for a special occasion. Ask for a window table! We did a 5 course meal with wine paring and it was truly memorable!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, PA
“Fine Dining, Service and View with an Expected Cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Inn is a fine dining establishment so be prepared to pay, but to also enjoy an absolutely fantastic view, a very professional waitstaff, and some interesting and well-prepare foods. We were amazed at how many people came to the dining room at 8pm - the view is still enchanting but very dark and nothing like it is in the day light. We ordered the 8 course digustation menu, which must be ordered for the table. There are 3 and 5 course menus with plenty of options. The wine list is extensive wth a full array of price points, there were plenty of bottles in th $40-60 range from which to choose. Since the tasting was so varied in food, we opted for the wine flight. At $183 per person, this is not cheap, but if something has been on your bucket list, we say go for it. I figure I'll save money my next life. :>
One crtique is that the wine pairings were mostly white - this is not a complaint, they were good and interesting white wines, but it gives rise to the suggestion to find out what wines will be served when you order as you may prefer to buy a bottle instead. That said, our waiter stated that if at any time we did not like what he poured, that he would find us an alternative. We found the pourings to be ample, the meal to be well-timed, the portions small - in some cases that is an unfair critique because they were so delicious we begged for more. Our meal consisted of a fig serving with minature speckles of gorganzolo cheese that were amazingly powerful in taste, a thinly sliced scallop followed which was deliciously prepared. The herb agnolotti was a to-die-for pasta in a rich sauce accompanied by some novel preparations of pumpkin. The clambake followed and was likewise delicious. These two were among our favorite as well as the lamb which was a small center cut plus a delicious sausage like preparation. Prior to the lamb was a foie gras which was ok. I was disappointed with the cheese course, liking a variety instead of a single type, the camembert was tasty and presented almost in a melted form. The dessert was a decadent sponge-type cake with accompaniments.

We have had tastings at other fine restaurants in this price range and did not find the cost to be excessive for the value, but we have had better. However, when you add watching the sun, the ships in the bay, the waves and stunningly beautiful coastline (so sad there needs to be a bridge in the view, but it does help to get to Newport :>), the attentive service and varied tastes of the meal, this is a wonderful restaurant to spend an evening. This ranks among the top views of any restaurant we have dined at in the world. One note, taxi fare from the center of town is about $15 and well worth the peace of mind and enjoyment of the wines.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States
“"The Bee's knees...literally!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Being a native and a local of Newport, I don't venture out much during the summer months, as it's just to crowded. My friend and I decided that a visit to the lawn of Castle Hill was long overdue. The weather was incredible and we couldn't think of a better outdoor spot in Newport to partake in few cocktails. We initially started out in one of the Adirondack chairs on the lawn, but decided to move up to the outdoor bar, as there was only one lone server who had his hands full with accommodating the drink requests of the numerous other guests. We grabbed the last 2 seats at the bar, which were incredibly comfortable. I love that although they are wrought iron, they swivel, rock and have cushions! We were greeted with a cheery hello and a smile by both of the bartenders, who presented menus without us requesting them. It took us a few minutes to decide and we were never pressured or rushed to place our order. I decided on a margarita and my friend opted for a bloody mary (we were sitting next to a couple who both had one in front of them and they looked yummy!) The service provided by the bartender (NICK) taking care of us was outstanding. He asked what type of tequila and vodka we preferred and when we became "wishy washy" about our choices, he didn't loose his patience. Instead, he offered suggestions and took the time to explain the type of vodka, even showing us the label on the bottle. During the process of making my margarita, he asked if I would like to add a flavor, suggesting strawberry. Nick also inquired if I preferred it made with or without salt. I know these sounds like the simplest things, however receiving this standard of service has fallen to the wayside over the years in Newport. I hail from the restaurant/hospitality industry, with over 33 years of experience. Nick epitomizes the definition of a stellar employee. During the course of our 4 hour visit, my friend and I ordered a variety of cocktails, although I stuck with margaritas, Nick made me a different flavor each time. The fresh blueberry (which he hand crushed) mango & passionfruit was my favorite! We had an incredible experience, all the way around!

The ONLY issue we experienced was the numerous bees that were present, hovering around the bar. I did notice that a "bee-trap" type container was present, however it didn't really seem to help. Not only were the bees extremely annoying, I am allergic to them. I tried to ignore them as best as I could...until one landed in my friends martini...yuck!

*You're going to laugh when you hear this solution, but trust me it actually works. I've tried it in my own garden at more than one of the restaurants at which I was employed. It always works.

Bees don't like smoke, it makes them drowsy and sets off natures alarm bell which says, "Smoke = Fire". When there's smoke around, bees don't like it. But smoke is also not something you want to have in great quantity when eating, especially at restaurants.

The answer is to place a table spoon of Ground Coffee in a saucer and light it with a lighter. Just enough so that a small amount catches fire and smolders. The coffee does not burn rapidly. Instead it smolders and slowly burns through. As it smolders, it produces a light smoke and a pleasant coffee scent in the air. When bees arrive, simply lift the saucer in the vicinity of the bees and you will see that they quickly fly off. The other solution is to place sweet things like soda drink cups or glasses next to the saucer where the ground coffee is smoldering. It seems to kill the sweet trail the bees are after and so not only does it keep your drinks safe, but it disguises the very thing they are after and so does not encourage them to stay very long!

• Visited September 2012