“Tiny Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
Norfolk, Virginia
“Tiny Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We went to the Admiral Farragut Inn on our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. It was small then and still small after all these years. It is quaint, and the owners are nice but the Inn is really too small for EXTENDED comfort and amenities. It is an old inn and although the furnishings are new and very nice and comfy we had a difficult time turning around in the room, because it is so tiny. I wouldn't stay here for more than one night traveling through Newport, which is a favorite town of ours. Walk up no elevator.
The breakfast was good.
The prices are steep for what you get. No wifi. No pets. No smoking if you smoke.

Room Tip: If you are looking for lots of amenities and wifi and larger rooms, you need to search for a bigger...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a room on the top floor, it was small but comfortable for two people. It had a rustic feel and the sailing theme was a nice touch of New England. The owner Rick was friendly and made things easy. The breakfast was simple but all you could ask for, including fresh squeezed orange juice. We had the mid-week special of $129 +tax and for that price it is tough to beat, especially when there was free parking! I would recommend this place to a friend looking for something affordable, clean, and in a good location near the pier.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at the Admiral Farragut Inn. This was our second stay at one of owner Rick Farrick's "Inns of Newport" properties this summer. Two months ago we stayed next door at the Cleveland House. We booked a king room with jacuzzi which went for the high season weekend price of $900 including tax.

The buildings (there are four on Clarke Street) are all historic homes with lots of interesting period details and some pretty antique furnishings. All of the bedding, curtains and upholstery I've seen are very nice, and there are some lovely pictures on the walls. This time we stayed in Room 3, the Admiral's Quarters, which we were told was the largest room in the Inn.

This place has a lot going for it. The location is fantastic, there's free off-street parking, and the staff are all very pleasant. Breakfast is delicious, and the previous issue of overcrowding/long waits has been resolved with the use of a sign up sheet, We had good AC, a comfy bed, and nice clean sheets and towels.

Now the problems, which really detract from the overall experience. First, housekeeping and maintenance. These buildings are just run down. Peeling paint that leaves paint chips everywhere, cracked plaster, lovely original floors that are terribly scratched and worn, dirty fireplaces, etc. For a relatively small investment these cosmetic issues could be addressed and the Inns would look so much better! Secondly, they need to dust! Sweep the floors, wash the windows, please! This just contributes to the overall impression of shabbiness, and makes you wonder what you paid so much money for. And as others have mentioned, the front hall of the Admiral Farragut has a very strong cat-urine odor, which made it's way into our bedroom. Another reviewer suggested it was caused by a local plant. Whatever the cause, it should be addressed! It's disgusting.

The bathrooms I've seen all seem to have been renovated and jacuzzi tubs installed, which is very nice. However the tubs need to be cleaned and the jets flushed between guests! Also, twice now I've had a bathroom sink where the knobs for the faucets were installed backwards and the shower heads were fused into some sort of "power massage" setting and couldn't be adjusted.

If maintenance and housekeeping were held to higher standards, this place would be so much more appealing. You want guests to find your home's period details "quaint" and "quirky", not inconvenient and annoying.

I feel bad saying this but my real issue here is with Rick. While he clearly works very hard, and makes many efforts to improve, I don't think he has the personality to run the front of the house. He usually seems agitated, like he's very close to losing his temper. This communicates itself to guests and staff. He's not a comfortable guy to be around, and you go on vacation to feel relaxed. Rick makes me feel anxious. He openly scolds his staff in front of guests, and loudly haggles room rates with guests in front of anyone present. He always makes sure to tell you what a great deal you've gotten, how you have the best room there is, for a much lower price than you should have paid, etc. It's very off-putting. And you can't believe him, since he says this to everyone!

Here's a problem I had on this trip, a small issue which Rick turned into a big deal and a very unpleasant experience for me. We were checked in by a lovely young woman named Katie. She was very calm and pleasant. I looked around our room and noticed the tub had a grimy ring around the bottom. This was important to me because I was looking forward to using the jacuzzi. So I went back over to the Cleveland House and spoke to Katie. She couldn't have been nicer and apologized for the tub. She was leaving for the day, but she told me to return before we went out to dinner and speak to Dina. She said she would brief Dina on the situation and housekeeping would clean our tub while we were out. Great, problem solved, or so I thought. 30 minutes later we were going out. I went next door and asked a young man to speak to Dina. He said one moment and went to get her. This was when Rick came out of the office, loudly demanding to know what was wrong. I told him I was waiting to speak to Dina. "Why?" I explained that our tub needed cleaning & that I had arranged things with Katie. He actually said to me, "why did you talk to Katie? You don't talk to her, you talk to me!" I was shocked to say the least. This is all happening in front of staff & other guests. Then he asks me "Are you telling me your room wasn't done AT ALL?" I said no, just the tub. I was trying to be discreet about it, but he was raising his voice. Next he started literally shouting to some other staff "We have an emergency! We have a room not cleaned. We need to do a Chinese fire drill." This was ridiculous. He grabbed a teenage boy and told him to go clean my tub. I went off to dinner feeling really embarrassed and annoyed that he made such a big deal over an issue that I had already dealt with.

Needless to say, when we came back from dinner, the tub was wet inside but the soap scum ring hadn't budged. No jacuzzi for me that night. Katie stopped to talk to me at breakfast the next morning and I told her what had happened with Rick, and that he sent someone other than the housekeeper Katie had wanted to do the job. I could tell she felt really bad. She promised me that while we were gone that day she would go over and clean the tub herself. And she did. When we got back, it was spotless. Thank you Katie!

This was a simple housekeeping issue. It should not have been a big deal, and an owner shouldn't make a spectacle about it, causing his guests and his staff embarrassment. I would suggest to Rick that he consider letting Katie be his "front of the house" person. Newport has so many B&B's, I would most likely choose another place to spend my money next time.

Room Tip: Room 3 is right next to the front door and can get a little noisy at breakfast time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
san francisco, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

After reading the other reviews I was wondering if people did any shopping around. It's all supply and demand. I'm sure you will feel this is expensive if you try to book a room on a Friday or Saturday mid summer. However, you'll find the same situation at places in the area. The proprietor is verry friendly and willing to make sure you get the right room for what you need. We were interested in wifi but the first room we looked in was on the small size and the wifi was a tad weak. After thinking about our needs, we opted for the larger room with no wifi. It was just right for the night. We were planning on spending just a night so it more than satisfied our needs. Regarding the review that said there was an issue with overcrowding at breakfast... There's a sign-up board right outside the breakfast room so the diners don't show up all at once. With just a modicum of planning you'll find a good time to eat in the morning. Free parking and (location, location, location) make this a gem. We'll be back ...and we'll look for the price deals mid-week and off peak times. It was clean and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

First the good news: the breakfast was awesome and very delicious!
But I can only give three points because the room was too little for so much money! The room was clean, but we only had one (!) little window and not enough space for our 2 bags. For 200 Dollars, this is really too much money for too little space and comfort!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Of course I had read the reviews so I was not expecting the freezing cold ground floor room, looking out over the parking lot and security lights all night. More like the motel in Psycho! The bed only had one reading light, impossible for a couple, the tiniest bathroom you have ever seen and I live in NYC where bathrooms come small. The saddest part was the long wait for a table at breakfast, one server for the entire room, evidently one person cooking for all of us. Not enough coffee, bread, fruit. But Newport is charming and the location was great. All the people that we met at the Farragut were very nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

The position of this inn is perfect, walking distance from the main attractions, clean and very confortable, is a complex of 4 house all in the historical district. Fresh home made breakfast every morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to Admiral Farragut Inn? Share your experiences!