“Great location -No Frills -Don't Stay Here Until Renovations are Complete” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Long Wharf Resort

You added Wyndham Long Wharf Resort to your Saves list
Wyndham Long Wharf Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   5 Washington Street, Long Wharf, Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Fairfield Newport at Long Wharf)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% Off Discount
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
North NJ
“Great location -No Frills -Don't Stay Here Until Renovations are Complete”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a resort in transition. Much needed renovations are underway including the indoor pool/hot tub and rooms. If you don't plan on spending much time at the resort, it can be fine - just manage your expectations. This isn't a luxury resort and don't expect that the dated nature of this resort will be a charming old-class experience. It's just dated.

Things to know:
--Resort is walking distance (less than 5 min) to Newport shopping and restaurants, walkable distance to the Black Pearl restaurant (may not be a comfortable walk if wearing heels).
--Near the marina (where fresh catch is unloaded) so the air can smell fishy - but hey, you are in a fishing town. Not really bothersome unless your are sensitive to that stuff.
--1 parking lot pass per room - even if you have 2 bedrooms. This was a nuisance since we stayed in a 2 bedroom (other couple had a car as well) and even during off season they would not give another pass.
--If you are a first time Newport visitor, the resort is very close to the train station and the Newport Visitors Center. Check out the visitors center for all the info you need to do "tourist-y" stuff.

Rooms:
Outdated (as mentioned) unless you are in a new room (we were not). Rooms are clean but worn. Furniture makes you feel like you are in a time warp. We stayed in a two bedroom. Only the master had a TV. At least there were two bathrooms in the unit. Bathrooms were clean and relatively maintained (i didn't feel grossed out while showering). Basic toiletries (shampoo, conditioner and lotion) were provided in mini bottles.

WiFi: free in-room wifi was VERY spotty and certain areas had no service at all. Do not rely on this; I imagine that some rooms probably had even worse wifi.

AC/heat - hard to keep the suite at a comfortable temperature.

We stayed in the main building overlooking the outdoor pool and had a Laundry room on our floor complete with multiple washers and dryers that were FREE. Laundry rooms have vending machines - but they are not stocked/restocked very frequently. Use them at your own risk.

Housekeeping provides basics for the suites including coffee and dish/laundry detergent if needed.

Best for families who are looking for a no frills place to stay - especially since you can use your timeshare points to stay here. On the family note, there is a movie room off the lobby where they show family friendly movies a few nights a week - and they give out free popcorn.

TIPS:

Call the hotel prior to booking to ask where they stand with renovations and to avoid being disrupted by reno crews (noise, dust etc). While we were there, 1 of the 2 elavators (next to eachother) was closed for use by construction crews who were tearing out old carpets and bringing them down using that elevator. Indoor pool was closed during our stay as well - which was fine since we didn't come to Newport at the end of October to go swimming.

Rent a car - You need one to get to the Mansions and to get to many other great restaurants around the city. Also, easy drive to the supermarket, but not walkable.

Go to the Black Pearl Restaurant (the official dining area). This restaurant came highly recommended by friends; I was hesitant but ended up going. ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT. It's a must.

Visit the Glassblowing shop (short driving distance) to make your own ornament or paperweight - very fun; a bit expensive but a great way to remember your trip. (go a few days before you leave so you can pick up your masterpiece after they cool off -it takes two days).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is renovated.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed over the weekend. The indoor hottub is being renovated, the slide for the pool is down. The 4th floor is renovated, whoever did the ordering of the furniture for the 4th floor did not measure the space to see how it fits. These rooms are meant to sleep between 6 and 8 people. The table in the 3 bedroom suite is designed for four. The decor living room is off balance. Now instead of two sofa beds with coffee tables and two Queen Anne chairs you have two extra chairs on sofa a cocktail table and a little sectional table which are not functional.
It appears this property is becoming more for adults without kids, which is fine. It would also be nice to inform guest with kids that is happening.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sayville, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

If you book this resort make sure to request a renovated room on the 4th floor, otherwise you will be walking into a time warp. Carpets were stained and furniture was old and dirty. Night shift told me they were "bookkeepers" and didn't know how to work computer to switch rooms. Literally slept in my car the first night until the morning shift came on and was able to put us in renovated room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Randolph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed for a long weekend in November 2012. Really enjoyed this resort. Great indoor pool, nightly movies, nice bed and kitchen and within walking distance to everything in Newport. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

3 bedroom - only one had a tv. Ripped and burned furniture, no place to put toiletries in bathroom. *not even a shelf* No dressers in bedrooms, just a closet piece of furniture. Staff uninterested in helping. one hairdryer for two baths. Limited parking due to staff using it to park. Accessible room had no grabbar by toilet. Front door wouldn't shut without a lot muscle. Phone and internet down for a day, indoor pool closed (Oct). No icemaker, 69 degrees no matter what you set it at. Great location, but I'd rather stay in a rickety old houseboat by the wharf than here again. Generally, I've had great luck with Wyndhams. This one should be sold to Motel 6.

Room Tip: Ask for the room next door at the Marriott if you want a good room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

If you were fooled into buying a timeshare then, at least, don't get fooled into staying at the Wyndham Long Wharf. Everything is wrong with this place except for its location. Upon check-in we were put into a room on the third floor of the Tower suites. I have to tell you that when we opened the door to our room I almost threw up and started to cry. The room was super dated and extremely dirty. The carpets were severely stained, parts of the tiled floor were broken up, the television was from the 1970's, and the entire place smelled like dirt. I only felt comfortable standing with my hands in my pockets. My wife and I didn't want to touch anything in the room and we slept in our street clothes in the bed, which by the way was like sleeping on a bubble. Every time my wife got out of the bed I almost fell out. Believe me seeing this room after flying all day across the country made my family incensed with rage and anger. After the first night we spoke with the people at the front desk who were less than helpful. But after my wife contacted the manager (Kaline) by telephone we were moved to a much better room. This new room was still pretty bad yet was acceptable since anything would have been better than our original room. If you must stay at this hole, as my wife and I did because we were the guests of our parents who own the stupid RCI timeshare, then my only recommendation is that you call ahead in advance of your stay and ask to be put into an upgraded room. The fourth floor of the Tower suites is currently being renovated. Call multiple times and ask for the names of the people you spoke with. The only virtue to this "resort" is its location inside Newport. Bottom line, do not stay here. Don't bother reading the other reviews. Just run.

Room Tip: Call multiple times in advance of your stay and ask to be put into an upgraded room. Write down the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Scituate, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was a terrible stay for me. My room had previously been used by a smoker even though it's a non smoking hotel. The bedding was saturated. Not the sheets, but the actual bedding. I contacted guest services and they were fully booked and offered to use an ozone cleaner and swap out the bedding. I spoke with them at 9am and they assured me it would be taken care of and were quite accommodating. When I returned to my room at 3, no one had been there. I called guest services and they questioned me saying they had no record of my call. Frankly not my problem and I said please just swap out the bedding. I got a call back telling me house keeping is gone for the day and they would do it in the morning. I was leaving the next day!! I said I would not pay for another night and I wasn't being unreasonable with my request. They sent someone up to the room with a hefty bag of sheets for me to make my own bed. No new pillows or quilt as I asked for and I had to ask them to take the old stuff away.

Just found them not helpful and almost annoyed by me and my need for smoke free bedding. The location is nice and Newport is great, but you have other choices, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Wyndham Long Wharf Resort? Share your experiences!