“qualification to SF0772's review” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Dark & Stormy Package!
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Boston, Massachusetts
“qualification to SF0772's review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Attwater for a friend's wedding along with SF0772-- the couple rented out the entire hotel for the wedding party and close friends. As a result, there was a bit of a "summer camp" atmosphere (e.g., many of us kept our doors open, there was lots of excitement and hanging out late night in the hallways). I did not notice any excessive loudness or noise related to doors closing or wind blowing, and I strongly suspect much of SF0772's description of the Attwater as "loud, not peaceful or relaxing" was influenced by the unique circumstances of this weekend (e.g., as part of wedding group who rented out the entire facility). This is my first Trip Advisor review, but I wanted to qualify the comments because I think it would unfairly influence someone's decision to stay at this chic hotel.

My own review:

The Attwater is a gorgeous, boutique hotel. The decor is fun and modern, the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating, the rooms were spacious, and the location is steps away from the heart of Newport (great shopping and restaurants within steps of the hotel). The bed was also one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in at a hotel! All of the bed linens, towels, and toiletries were top of the line. There are also some great outdoor areas-- a large deck off the second floor that is perfect for enjoying a good book with some coffee in the morning and a set of rocking chairs on the front porch of the hotel. If asked to sum up the Attwater in a few words, I would say it beautifully straddles the line between being upscale, luxurious, and fashionable, while also feeling comfortable and approachable. My only complaint was that the wifi signal is fairly weak in the rooms on the second and third floors.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at The Attwater, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
We greatly appreciate your review and its clarification to a previous review. We were honored to have your group stay at The Attwater for your friend's special day, and we are thrilled that you enjoyed our location, the comfy bed, the top-of-the-line toiletries, and, most of all, our hard-working staff's service. Your description of The Attwater as "it beautifully straddles the line between being upscale, luxurious, and fashionable, while also feeling comfortable and approachable," is exactly what we are trying to achieve. Thank you again for your recommendation and kind words. We hope to see you back at The Attwater in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I recently joined a wedding party staying at the Attwater Inn - This precious hotel was the ideal host of a weekend getaway, complete with friendly, attentive and passionate inn keepers who did their best to give us all a truly perfect experience - Designer accents, complimented by the softest sheets, lovely products and a simply delectable breakfast (recipes made fresh each morning from a favorite Boston Bakery cookbook called Flour) all contributed to a guaranteed return. Located centrally off of Bellvue Avenue, a short walk to the harbor front, walk/shopping Thames Street, and of course, the breathtaking Mansions of Newport... I highly recommend this lovely experience. Thank you Attwater!! p.s. There's a great deck in the back, perfect for catching morning/afternoon sun with a lovely musical playlist to complete the ambience - They don't skip a beat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks so much for your recommendation and thoughtful review. Calling us the "ideal host" for your friend's wedding party means a lot. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our designer decor, soft sheets and yummy breakfasts. We hope you will return to our Newport boutique hotel the next time your travels bring you to the States.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on our honeymoon. It’s a charming boutique hotel and very clean and modern. The location is excellent – we walked to Thames St., the pubs on Broadway, the Tennis Hall of Fame, etc. Free parking, too. The staff was very helpful. Brad was able to get us a reservation on a sunset sail that was excellent! There is a nice back porch where we had a picnic dinner one night. The breakfast included has some of the better pastries we ever had and the chocolate chip cookies at the front desk in the afternoon are to die for! All-in-all, a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at The Attwater, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
It's wonderful to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed our proximity to Thames Street, pubs and the Tennis Hall of Fame. We were honored to be a part of your honeymoon, and are very pleased that you enjoyed the sail, our decor, our breakfasts, and, of course, our killer chocolate chip cookies! We look forward to your next visit to our Newport boutique hotel.
Cresskill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This small boutique hotel was the perfect place for our Newport getaway weekend. The decor is very modern and everything is new and clean. It was in a great location, we could walk everywhere. They also recommended a great company to take us sailing which was the highlight of our weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at The Attwater, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
It is great to hear that you loved your sail and that you enjoyed your stay at our "cute boutique hotel." We hope you'll visit The Attwater again in the future.
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Loved this boutique hotel for our weekend in Newport. Clean spacious room with comfortable bed. Great amenities including large bottles water/ipad to use customized with local info. Delicious home-baked goods for breakfast. Able to walk to both town and beach (but good 10 min walk). Front desk very helpful- provided beach chairs/towels even to use the day we checked out!

Only issue- breakfast was scarce on first day with just some baked goods. Asked later about other options and learned there was also yogurt/fruit and a quiche- which were all present and perfect the next morning. Just seemed odd that this was not there or mentioned that it was available to us the morning prior by the woman working at the desk. Otherwise, great stay! Beware of no elevator but good workout for us haha!

• Stayed August 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and took full advantage of our quiet, "walk to everywhere" location. So glad you enjoyed our cafe breakfast, as well, despite the protein shortage on your first day. Never hesitate to ask about additional breakfast items. Meg, Brad and the entire staff at The Attwater is ready and willing to help with anything! We hope you come to stay again at our Newport boutique hotel.
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We found the Attwater online, whilst looking for a Newport Hotel that wasn't chintzy, overtly historic or too grand. This hotel was perfect for us - I described the design as 'mod meets Jonathan Adler' in a lovely 1920s building. The bedrooms were comfortable and a huge sitting room downstairs was a great place to relax after sightseeing.

The young, friendly staff were really happy to help, including bringing a great cup of cappuccino out to the tiny front terrace or to the sitting room.

A downside for some, the hotel isn't on the waterfront or just off the main street, but this also meant the area was quiet and it's very close to all the Newport Mansions.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dawn H, Public Relations Manager at The Attwater, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our "ungilded" Newport boutique hotel. We are proud of our unconventional decor that embraces the nautical heritage of Newport in new and unexpected ways. Sounds like Brad and Megan took great care of you -- bringing you cappaccinos to our guest lounge and to the rockers on our small front terrace. We look forward to your next visit to The Attwater.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My wife and I just had a baby boy and wanted to go to Newport to celebrate
our new family. I went on The Attwater's website and booked two rooms - one
for us, one for my inlaws - with a cover note asking if we could bring our
newborn (in view of, and specifically because of, the hotel's policies; one
of which was that you can't have more than two people in any room other
than the biggest suite).

We got a call the next day telling us that the hotel would be willing to
ignore their policy and let us have our newborn stay in our room, BUT that
they would have to charge us extra $50 per night for our baby ($150 total
for 3 nights, on a $300/night room). This rubbed all of us the wrong way -
as it would any hard working person. But at least they told us. Fine.

After speaking with my family, we all agreed that we didn't want to go
somewhere that was going to try to charge us extra to bring our baby (it's
one thing to have a "no children" policy, but this just seemed like a
blatant attempt to scam customers out of money). To us, this just didn't
seem right.

When I called to cancel our reservation, I was told that I would be charged
a $50 cancellation fee - $25 per room - literally 24 hours after making the
reservation, and less than an hour after learning that this hotel wanted to
charge us an extra $150 to bring our son. Given that I sent a cover note
asking about the policies (since they would obviously affect whether we
could stay here or not), this was even more disturbing to me. I get that
this is a small hotel, but be reasonable. Be fair. Have some decency.

After speaking with the manager, Brad, he finally agreed to "do me a favor"
by agreeing to ONLY charge us $25 to cancel the reservation. Really? Not
only is this guy trying to steal $150 of my money for me to bring a 7 pound
baby to his hotel, but now he's trying to charge me money for cancelling a
reservation I made the day before, when I specifically asked him about the
hotel's policies when I made the reservation? I found this unbelievably
despicable. TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE, when I checked my credit card statement,
I found that Brad LIED - he did not refund any of the cancellation fee,
and is trying to charge me $50. He should be embarrassed.

In a business where customer service is everything, it is shocking to me
that the manager of a hotel like this - Brad - could be so clueless and out
of touch with providing good customer service. I get that "a policy is a
policy", but when a guest specifically asks about a policy, a hotel should
acknowledge that fact and work with you - not against you. Moreover, the
hotel should not be hypocritical - as Brad and the Attwater was - and tell
you that they can waive their policy on having extra people in rooms, but
that they can absolutely not waive the policy on charging a cancellation
fee. What a load of garbage to be so selfish and greedy at the expense of
your potential guests.

After I first posted my review, The Attwater filed a Complaint with Trip
Advisor to have it taken down - they tried to hide their basic lack of
decency - I assume because they didn't want the bad press. FOR THE
AVOIDANCE OF DOUBT, I did NOT stay at the Attwater; I cancelled my
reservation because the service and attitude were atrocious and offensive.
As a result, I can only review the service and am not in a position to
review features of the hotel that I did not experience - e.g., the
cleanliness of the rooms.

Is it really worth $25 (or should I say $50, since they lied and went back
on their word to refund the "fee" for one room) to this place to upset its
potential customers? YES, apparently it is. To me, that is sad. And for
that reason, not only will I never visit the Attwater, but I will tell
everyone I know, and anyone who asks or reads this review, to avoid the
Attwater. That is why I DID NOT and WOULD NEVER stay here. We - and you -
deserve better."

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
robblood, Owner at The Attwater, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Users,

Please allow us to provide a bit of context for this review.

We understand where guests are coming from when they don't want to pay cancellation fees or extra person fees for reservations. It's easy for me, as a parent of a very young child, to get where this gentleman is coming from.

This is why we are very communicative with guests about our policies, both online and on the phone. We want to make sure that people who are booking with us understand our policies. In his review, this gentleman who did not ultimately stay with us relates the fact that he knew the room that he booked was not included in our child worthy accommodations.

He says:" I went on The Attwater's website and booked two rooms - one for us, one for my inlaws - with a cover note asking if we could bring our newborn (in view of, and specifically because of, the hotel's policies; one of which was that you can't have more than two people in any room other than the biggest suite)."

Our impression from this statement and from his conversation with Brad, our manager, is that the gentleman understood our policies and had read them. Our polices also state that our king suite can accommodate up to four people, of any age, and that there is a $50 per person per night fee for any extra people, regardless of age. We choose to make this a uniform policy because a person of any size can have an extra impact on a guest room (again, remember I am the father of a very small young person).

When potential guests make a reservation through our website, their credit card is automatically charged and the reservation is confirmed. At that point we have incurred fees and the room has been taken out of inventory so others may not book it. We do not ever intentionally over book our hotel rooms -- this means that if you make a reservation with us, we are holding a specific room for you and not allowing anyone else to book it.

We do try to be as flexible if we can be. In this case, as the reviewer notes, we offered to make an exception to our policy regarding his child (because the room is in the top corner of the hotel and in a fairly quiet spot) and then when he cancelled we did offer to waive one of the cancellation fees.

It is clear that this was not a satisfactory solution for this reviewer and for that we are sorry. At the end of the day we are in the hotel business to provided positive experiences for people. We have to balance that with the polices that we have laid out (to be fair to everyone) and with the need to support our very hard working staff.

What the reviewer does not convey in his explanation is that he extremely confrontational and verbally unpleasant to Brad our manager and threatened him with poor reviews on Trip Advisor if we did not do exactly as he wanted. For us, that's where we draw the line. This is why we filed a complaint with Trip Advisor and they initially removed the review. Some TA users might disagree with our perspective and I welcome you to contact me directly at rob@larkhotels.com if you have suggestions or would like to engage in dialogue about this. I am happy to hear from you.

I hope that this one review will not sully your perception of the Attwater, one of my favorite places in the world. Brad and Meg our resident managers are exceptional and will treat you just as you'd like to be treated on a a great vacation.

Rob Blood
CEO
Lark Hotels

Been to The Attwater? Share your experiences!