“Seafood and Italian restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Carlsbad, CA
“Seafood and Italian restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

After reading the great reviews on this restaurant, I really wanted to try it out. We went in early and managed to score a table before there was a waiting line. Our waitress brought over warn bread and a beverage menu. She told us the entree list was on a blackboard on the wall and we should go over and pick out what we wanted to eat. The board was close by to other diners--all I can say is I'm glad I wasn't seated near the blackboard with multiple diners coming over to read the menu.

I decided to get the monkfish, which was wood grilled and came with one side. I chose the grilled vegetables. My dining companions selected the scampi and the scallops, which came with pasta and a sauce choice.

I would have been better off to have ordered what they did, as they both enjoyed their entrees. All I can say about the monkfish is that it tasted strongly like the wood used to grill it. The taste of the fish was totally lost due to the overpowering wood taste.

Had the waitress warned me that the fish was somewhat delicate and would be better sauteed, I probably would have enjoyed it. That was a $24 dinner that was one of the worse I have ever had dining out. I did rate this place a 3 as my dining companions enjoyed their food, but had I been the only diner, I would have rated it a 1.

Visited May 2013

Scottsboro, Alabama
“Best lobster ever.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Wood grilled lobster ...... yummy! If you like lobster, you MUST eat here ..... lobster, cut in half long ways, brushed with herbed butter and cooked perfectly on a wood fired grill. Served with butter and a choice of sides. A bargain at $31.00

Visited April 2013
Sacramento, California
“Good Food, Big Portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I agree with other reviewers that it is difficult to read the menu on the blackboard, but we just got up and walked over there. Food was fresh and tasty, service friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Farmingdale, Maine
“Never going back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Excellent staff. The rest was not. Ordering from a blackboard is not our idea of how to order in an expensive restaurant. The place was so noisy it was hard to hear anyone speak to you. The wait for food was long. My husband's dinner was bland and the linguini was cold. The prices are higher then stated on this site. My dinner were over $30 dollars. At these prices having to pay cash really hurt. Had we known before we ordered we would have left. For once we should have believed all the negative reviews.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Calling All Seafood Lovers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you’re a seafood lover, I highly recommend Scales & Shells. This was our first visit to Scales & Shells, as it came highly recommended and it didn’t disappoint. The fresh menu is written daily on a Blackboard. If you are unsure of a menu item, just ask, the staff is very knowledgeable and eager to assist. I recommend the Swordfish or if you’re feeling adventurous the Monkfish. The fish can be prepared several different ways to suit your taste.

The dining room is “tight” with tables fairly close to each other which at times can make it very loud.

TIPS:
Be aware, it is a Cash Only business. However, if you forget there is a Bank of America ATM across the street.
Ask for a table away from the Blackboard or you have people standing around you all night.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere