“Cute and cozy but food doesnt do your italian grandmother justice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mamma Luisa Restaurant

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
aberzerk72
“Cute and cozy but food doesnt do your italian grandmother justice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband and I had heard great reviews on this restaurant so we decided to try and go late to eat after we heard that they were booked up till 8:30pm. When we got there the waiter had an odd look like we might be able to dine there or we might not. After he finally agreed to let us dine there they took us upstairs to a waiting room, which clearly had once been a bedroom of sorts. Very odd. We sat there with 2 other couples looking oddly at eachother. Who doesnt have a bar area these days? The only wine around were some fake bottles as decorations which we may have tried to drink anyway. LOL
One couple ate at the top of the stairs which was bizzare to say the least.
Finally we ate dinner downstairs which seemed nice. One waitress was rude while another seemed nice. Being Italian I am used to great Italian cooking and very good sauce. The sauce was lacking spice and the chicken was too heavily breaded. My husband had the bolognese which he thought was good but not great. They didnt seem to want to alter any of their dishes if you wanted something taken off a dish or added on and that is just bad business. After explaining I had a food allergy to nuts, the waitress went on to describe 3 desserts with nuts. I think she was nuts! Hello? Overall the bill was around $70 and not worth the price for the two entrees we ate. We say try another place instead.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Toronto, Canada
“Cozy Italian Dining !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

My husband and I had only 3 nights in Newport and after speaking with our Concierge we decided that dinner for one of those nights would be spent at "Mamma Luisa's Restaurant", we actually had another Italian restaurant in mind due to what I had read here on Trip Advisor. Needless to say it was cozy, intimate, albeit nothing fancy but homey. The service was attentive and impeccable and with it pouring rain outside and being seated at the window it lent to the whole dining experience. As for our food the salads were extemely fresh with a vinigrette dressing, warmed Italian bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping and our Veal with lemon, capers and artichokes was extremely flavourful. We ordered the potatoes with garlic and rosemary and asked for extra garlic ..they were done to perfection. We finished off with the tiramisu with walnuts !!!! Truly incredible !!!!
We are both so glad that we took our Concierges advice ... had we not we certainly would have missed out on a terrific dining experience !!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rhode Island
“Special Occasion Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

Mamma Luisa's is by far my favorite restaurant in Newport. It is elegant, intimate, romantic dining in a converted house at the lower end of Thames Street. The food has always been excellent every time I've dined there - portions just the right size, flavors perfect, wine and port selections ample. Desserts are great, too. A dinner for two that includes appetizer, entrees, dessert & wine usually runs around $100. My fiance and I are starting a tradition of dining at Mamma Luisa's on his birthday - we can't wait for next year!

New Jersey
“Best Italian in Newport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2008

Mamma Luisa Restaurant is the best Italian Restaurant in Newport. The restaurant has a cozy Italian decor and soft Italian music playing. The food is the best, most authentic Italian food I have ever had in America outside of Little Italy. Reasonable prices. I have been to other Italian restaurants in Newport but none of the other Italian restaurants compare - don't waste your money on them. Next time I go to Newport I will definetly be eating at Mamma Luisa -- enjoy.

nyc
“Mamma Luisa Would Not Honor Our Reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

We had reservations that we made for a Saturday night for which we had to provide our credit card info to guarantee the reservation. It was an early evening hour for 4 adults in their 60's.
When we arrived my wife, who is disabled, saw the steep, winding staircase leading upstairs and told the host that she could not walk up the steps. The host simply, with no apology, told us that he could not seat us downstairs. At that point we noticed that there was an empty table for 4 in the front room as well as 2 tables for 2 in the same area. We asked him if we could have a table in the front room instead of upstairs. We again explained that my wife is disabled and while she would love to be able to climb those steps, she could not. The host, again quite rudely told us that he was "holding that table" and he would not give it to us. He made no effort to honor our reservation or offer any alternatives. He just REFUSED TO SEAT US. We were horrified as we have never been confronted with such blatant discrimination due to my wife's disability, He just refused to seat us!!