“Tastiest ravioli I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Connecticut
“Tastiest ravioli I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I had an light, early dinner at Mamma Luisa's in Newport, R.I., on a Thursday in late December. We both ordered the butternut squash ravioli. It was cooked perfectly (al dente), and served with a light cream sauce and pine nuts. Absolutely delicious. I wasn't hungry, or I would have ordered a second plate! The serving size was adequate, and the price was moderate. We sat at a table in the downstairs room, which is romantically decorated in the style of a country trattoria - lots of old photos on the walls, ivy, etc. My wife grew up in Naples, Italy, is difficult to please when it comes to Italian food, and she liked it, too. Service was excellent. My only criticism is the parking. They have 5 poorly-lit spaces behind the restaurant, which were already full when we arrived at 5:30. However, there is on-street parking. I don't think I'd recommend this restaurant for families with children, but for anyone else, if the ravioli's any indication, it's a treat.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Massachusetts
“Mamma Luisa Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

We went at 5:00 (opening time) and were told they were full (we didn't have a reservation, we thought at 5:00 would be no problem). We were told to wait a few minutes and they would see if they could squeeze us in. While we were waiting, a few more people came in without reservations and were sent away...... so we waited just a short time and then they gave us a table letting us know they needed the table in about 1 1/2 hour - which we said was absolutely no problem! We had a lovely meal - loved the coziness of a restaurant in a "house". Food was yummy and reasonably priced. Totally recommend if you are in the area - but call for reservations first!

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brookhaven, New York
“Magnificent !!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I was in Newport Ri the other day looking for a summer rental when my real-estate agent recommended an Italian restaurant for dinner. Well this was one of the best Italian restaurants i haver eaten in. I live in NY and there are many great Italian restaurants here. Well now you know of one in Newport and its NOT in Providence. The service was great, the food was great and so was the atmosphere. Its a house converted into a lovely comfortable restaurant located right on Thame st. Just outside of all the crowds. I was there on 11/29/2011 The following day i went by to take a photo of the place it was just a great little place.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New London, Connecticut
“Great Italian Wine Selection!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Very cozy and romantic. Excellent service. Bolognese is definitely worth ordering. The rolled pork was o.k. We would not order it again. The mixed greens salad with goat cheese and walnuts was delicious. We will be back. Do not bring young kids. Too small and intimate an atmosphere. The stairs to the bathrooms are dangerously steep.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hanson, Massachusetts
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Decided to make reservations for four people for a Saturday night and had to provide them with my credit card number in order to hold our reservation. Parking is very limited, but we lucked out and found a spot. Everyone enjoyed their meals, we all especially loved the warm bread and dipping oil before dinner. Even though we were all stuffed we somehow managed to order desserts - and were very happy we did, since they were all excellent!

Visited November 2011