“Not worth the hype” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mooring is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 203 restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: America's Cup Ave.
Description: The ideal embodiment of Newport dining: the freshest seafood, al fresco seating, expansive harbor views, and warm hospitality. Our award-winning wine list is one of the most acclaimed in New England.
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Not worth the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We were recommended to this restaurant for a romantic dinner. Unfortunately, we did not feel that it lived up to that expectations. Although the service was great, including management, the food was very over priced and it was not at all the quiet romantic experience that we were looking for. It was quite loud and the food was not worth the cost of it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Newport, Rhode Island
“Not Impressed terrible service food just ok”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

My husband and I have enjoyed the Mooring in the past however our experiences in the past few months have not been pleasant. Our food was just sub-par and the service was terrible.

The only thing food wise that was OK was the clam chowder. Our crab cakes were very salty and fishy. My husband had salmon which was overcooked. I had a tuna dish that was also very fishy tasting. It was a huge disappointment considering we both enjoy all kinds of seafood and dining out.

Our waitress seemed young and inexperienced. She was not attentive. She only came to our table three times, once to take the order, once to open our wine and once to drop the check. I could understand if it was busy but she was standing in the corner complaining to another waitress about her job at Newport Creamery and getting drunk the night before. I'm not sure about you but this is the last kind of behavior I would expect from a fine dining restaurant. I can understand and forgive the food portion, but the service was unacceptable. We all have an "off" day but to blatantly not care about the customer, and act as if you're in a Sorority House bragging about being "wasted" the night before is where I draw the line.

Maybe they are going through some sort of transition, but this last visit was the last straw. Can't say we will be returning anytime soon. Hopefully they will work out the glitches sooner than later because it was a good restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Southern Maine
“Distracted Staff?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

This restaurant was recommended by the concierge at the Marriott. We had 8pm reservations on a Wednesday night during school vacation week. We had a short wait for our table. The restaurant looked comfortably busy, but not slammed. The decor is dark and cozy with lots of dark wood paneling, heavy drapes and orange shaded chandeliers. It was nice for our visit, but might be a bit oppressive on a hot summer night. We were seated in a small room between the bar and the deck. Looks like there are sliding doors that could be opened on warm nights.

Extensive wine list. Wine poured by the glass comes in a little carafe and is poured at the table. My companion had a chicken dish she described as tasty. I had the seafood scampi, which featured shrimp, scallops and lobster over angel hair pasta. But although there was plenty of seafood and pasta, that was all there was for this scampi- no garlic, no buttery taste, no lemon. The lobster tail was split and arranged artfully, but tough - as was the shrimp. The scallops were rare, but tasty. Good thing, because the taste of seafood was the only taste for this dish. I wonder if chef got distracted and forgot to finish this off, if the definition of scampi has changed or if I'm just hopefully old fashioned and it was supposed to be this bland?

Speaking of distracted, near the end of the meal, it became evident that our waitress had lost interest in us. She would appear to ask a question and then move quickly away from the table before the answer was even out of our mouths. Sorry we weren't bigger spenders- I guess we didn't look like we would be worth the effort, or she really wanted to go home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Connecticut
“OK, but overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

In a nice central location on the waterfront. I expect this place must be packed during the summer. Food was reasonably priced but preparation strictly average. I think their website and other reviews tend to overrate this place. If you are a couple 25-35 years old, you probably think this place is good. We have more restaurants under our belts.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
san francisco
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I called two weeks in advance to make a reservation in the small room off the main restaurant with beautiful ocean views. Flew up from Maryland and my daughter and I went to dinner. First, I was charged $10 to park in the Mooring's parking lot. Not happy about that. Walked up to the reservation kiosk and was ignored by three young ladies discussing what they were doing after work. I finally said, "excuse me." One young lady took us into the restaurant and offered us a seat against the wall with a serving station on the other side of us. I told her about our reservation and I looked into the room where I wanted to sit . It was empty. The young lady said she could not seat us there because it was BOOKED FULL of reservations in the next hour. We requested a better seat. The seats in small room were never taken during the two hours we had dinner. Dinner was average at best and not worth the price. I returned my fish because it was cold and finally received a warm dinner. The only thing the Mooring has in its favor is its location on the water.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere