“The view is the hit” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mooring is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 209 Restaurants in Newport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: America's Cup Ave.
Description: The ideal embodiment of Newport dining: the freshest seafood, al fresco seating, expansive harbor views, and warm hospitality. Our award-winning wine list is one of the most acclaimed in New England.
Holland, PA
“The view is the hit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a great place to stop in for a fun meal during the day when the view is at its best. A bit overpriced for dinner and while so beautifully appointed, it falls into the disheartening category of seafood restaurants that want to keep the old Newport seafaring tradition alive by tearing down all the old traditional buildings and crafting ones that meet today's expectations of nautical character. The food is good, the service excellent but nothing you couldn't get at a Red Lobster in Nowheresville, USA. OK, the Bag of Doughnuts (lobster, crab & shrimp fritters) is pretty darn good with a cold beer but you can get these just about anywhere in Newport so don't make a special trip here just for these. In talking with others, this place is great for a lunch or mid-day snack - the soups are good and warming. So enjoy a light meal here and walk around the town for places that have more of the real Newport charm (though frankly, these are becoming harder to find each year).

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newport, Rhode Island
“Certainly better Than avg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went to dinner and it was quite fine. The bag of doughnuts is a Mooring stable for apps. My girl had the tuna tartare it was healthy portion but not clear ruby red but good. I had the fish and chips and the fries while tasty are extremely(extremely)salty - not necessary at all. The fish was a large chunk but I prefer lighter batter so just ate the fish out of the shell and it was good. My lady had the pork belly and really enjoyed it. Overall I think in this day and age they should error on more flavor and less salt. And I think the days of very thick fish crust fried in oil has past it's time. A nice environment and friendly staff.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California
“Well Worth the Expense”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for our two-year anniversary. Yes, it was expensive for us, but we loved the food, location and atmosphere. We both ordered seafood dishes which were tasty and beautifully presented. Our table overlooked the water, which in January meant it was difficult to see anything. I imagine it is quite beautiful in Spring/Summer and can't wait to visit again when next I'm in Newport.

Mount Prospect, Illinois
“Great food even better service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Went with a group - service was excellent, food fwas really good - loved the rolls in a bag - would absolutely return again.

Wolcott, Connecticut
“Night on the Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My Husband and I love to eat out. We heard good things about the mooring and we figured that in January it wouldn't be that bad; mainly filled with locals. Well the locals brought their kids. LOTS of them. And they were kind of loud and the parents really didn't seem to care. After they left the place quieted down but it still wasn't fun to scream over appetizers.

Overall we thought the food was delicious. I had the scallops and cocktail shrimp. Great wine selection. And ofcourse the seafood is really fresh.

Go later at night and you should be ok. Our reservation was 7pm on a Friday. But during the week I'm sure isn't bad.

Visited January 2013

Been to The Mooring? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Mooring, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.