“An old friend” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine
Norwalk, Connecticut
“An old friend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

A fun place! usually crowded, but the wait isn't too long. I have been coming here since 1968 (Officer Candidate School). It hasn't changed much - nor should it. Still some of the best clam chowder anywhere. Good food, good people watching, hard to beat!

Visited September 2013

Lansing, Illinois
“The Best Clam Chowder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The clam chowder is the best I have ever tasted. The seafood dinners are all delicious. The location is on the wharf with an outdoor patio. The only drawback is all the prices are a little too high. Good service is a plus.

“Best Clam Chowder!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We asked a local which restaurant had the best clam chowder. She and her coworker disagreed. She insisted it was The Black Pearl; her colleague said Mudville Pub. We decided on The Black Pearl because there's outside dining by the water.

The chowder was delicious! At first I was startled by the dill. It isn't typical and I wasn't sure I liked it. I was so sorry I ordered a cup rather than a bowl. The clams were very tender and the potatoes were small, to match the chopped clams. Please note that only the bowl come with warm rolls. The cup comes with saltines.

My lobster salad on croissant was good, and my husband liked his chicken tarragon salad. The star was the chowder.

Next time, I'm getting a bowl! This is a must try!

Southbury, Connecticut
“Best Chowder at a Late Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My hubby and I LOVE going to the outdoor patio of The Black Pearl when we visit Newport during the summers. It is an annual stop for us for the BEST New England Clam Chowder in Newport!
The best part is that in the summer, they have their patio dining service available after 8:00 p.m. (open until 10:00 or 11:00 p.m., I think??), along with a nice outdoor bar. This was great for us, as we like to have our main meal during the mid-afternoon while we are out sight-seeing and then we enjoy the light supper in the evening that The Black Pearl offers on the patio. A great spot to people watch, too, as it is in the heart of the Newport Bay area.

• Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Good location on wharf, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We ate at the outdoor dining section which has a more limited menu than the attached restaurant of the same name.
We had the clam chowder which was very good and one of our party chose the lobster which was just OK given there was only one dressing available for a quite expensive meal option.
The other members of our group opted for the steak which was cooked to order but somewhat tough
We declined the deserts based on our experience with the earlier menu choices

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere