“Great people watching spot for lunch!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Brunswick, Maine
“Great people watching spot for lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I were in Newport for the long Colombus Day Weekend and enjoyed every restaurant we went to including this one. This was our Saturday lunch spot. We did not have a reservation and got a table upstairs overlooking the busy sidewalk below. Great people/dog watching! The service was very good. The menu was quite traditional and had lots of seafood options, that made me happy. I had shrimp cocktail and a mixed green salad for lunch. My husband had a burger. The shrimp was good, fresh, good size, but a bit pricey even by Newport standards I felt. The salad was very good, but it would have been nice for hit to have a few more things in it. Mixed greens was basically it. The wine by the glass choices were okay, not that many. You are paying a lot of the location, location, location and getting to sit with the windows open in October was great! I would go again and would recommend it for lunch.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Wethersfield, CT
“Excellent Newport Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a great lunch at Clarke Cooke house. I had the smoked salmon sandwich and the Newport Clam Chowder. She had the Butternut Squash Bisque and the Mussels. Everything tasted fresh and delicious. Friendly waiter with fast, efficient service. A wonder location by the waterfront. We'll definitely go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
East Hampton, Connecticut
“I'd go again and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

In fact, I have! My husband and I always visit the Clarke Cooke House when we go to Newport (once or twice each year). They don't change their menu much from year to year, but they do change it seasonally, and always offer several specials. Even when I order the same entree as the last time, it's always excellent!!

Visited October 2012
Johnston, Rhode Island
“the sky bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I keep our boat in Newport for the summer season and frequent many resturants in Newport. The sky bar named after the skybar candy bar is on the second floor with open air seating and views down to the busy area of bannister warf. There is a great view of the harbor and many of the sight seeing boats leave from that area. The sky bar serves food the same menue as the clark cook house. food is excellent but pricy with portions fair. They have a very good susi bar and a variety of seafood and meats. service is good but not the most friendly of the waterfront facilities. Not my first choice but worth a try. It is also nice to visit in the winter.

Visited August 2012
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Fabulous experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We had a wonderful experience last night. There were eight of us and when you ave such a large group the timing and service seems to falter...but not here! The waiter was attentive and had perfect timing for every course. We shared the lobster ravioli and the mixed vegetables as the appetizers, then the mission fig salad, two ducks, two swordfish, two steaks and two red snappers, all we're delicious. But save room for dessert! The creme brûlée outstanding and the Snowball in Hell was out of sight. The ambience the setting you could not have asked for better. We all had a marvelous dining experience.

• Visited September 2012