“Always great” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Always great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Tasted some of the whiskey's last week. Wow. I don't like Whiskey but some of these were just amazing. Staff is great. Food is always great. If you like a good, clean, up-scale pub atmosphere . . . this is your spot. It is not only our "go-to", it's a spot we never hesitate to recommend.

• Visited April 2013
Malt B, Owner at Malt, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, and we are looking forward to some future Whiskey tasting evenings.

Newport, Rhode Island
“Irish Wiskey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are a person who likes to try Irish Wiskey there is no better place than Malt on Broadway in Newport Rhode Island. John Flynn or Tommy, the owner was so helpful in sharing insights and tastes of Irish Wiskey. There selection was broad and prices reasonable. Sometimes you just want a small taste tester. There is no hesitation in their hospitality and willingness to teach. The atmosphere is warm and the best thing this side of the pond. Save the airfare, go to Malt.

Newport, Rhode Island
“Fresh Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I found this little gem by accident and are we ever glad we did! Great atmosphere, extremely friendly staff from the hostess to the waiter, we felt very welcomed. The most intriguing thing I found on the menu was the Thai Shrimp Nacho's. They were fantastic, probably one of the best appetizers I've ever had. My husband had a pasta dish, Bolognese. The pasta was made fresh there in the restaurant and you could tell. It was delicious! I decided on Fish and Chips and it was also very, very fresh. The fish had a very light coating, not heavy like some others and the flavor was wonderful. We splurged and had the chocolate bomb for dessert, again fantastic. This is a fantastic spot. The bar seemed lively as well but out of the way of the diners which I found to be nice. Next time we are in Newport, we are definitely going to make it back to this restaurant!

Portsmouth, Rhode Island
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were so excited to try Malt, as we've heard great things about it from friends. We made a reservation for 8pm, and arrived a few minutes early - the women at the front of the house were very friendly and accommodating, and we appreciated that. The decor is beautiful - a sort of Shabby Chic/Restoration Hardware feel. The atmosphere is that of a combined bar and restaurant - very common for the restaurants in the area - although the bar is set back in a small side room, because of the nature and size of the restaurant, the sound carries through the whole space. Be prepared for it to be really loud on a busy evening. We got to our table and were told by our waitress that there were no specials that evening - beyond that we found there to be very a very limited choice on the menu. I will say the drink menu is huge and varied and very fun. We ordered the cheese platter appetizer and requested a substitution for the blue cheese. After a bit of a wait, our waitress brought us the wrong appetizer, so without much apology we had to wait again. During this time a group of nine was seated alongside us. They were pretty deep in their cups, and their conversation was dominated by two loud men sitting at either end of the table frequently dropping the f-bomb. This really isn't the fault of the restaurant, but it bears mentioning because it speaks to the atmosphere,and no one from the restaurant seemed to be bothered by it. Our waitress finally brought the cheese platter, which included blue cheese that we had asked to be omitted. When we mentioned it to her, she told us that the chef informed her that was a goat cheese with a mild aroma. We pointed out to her the goat cheese and she informed us that that was cow's milk cheese. She just clearly didn't know what she was serving, but she did willingly bring us an alternative for the third cheese. The other disappointment to the platter was that it supposedly featured bread baked on site - but the slices were dry and brittle - it was like a supermarket baguette that had been sliced up. Dinner arrived - i had the pasta and bolognese sauce - which was great. My husband had the rueben; while the cut of meat was good, the sandwich was soggy and the bread was burned. So, overall - if you're looking for a fun bar experience, with food as an afterthought - this might be the place for you. But if you're looking for a quality dining experience, you may want to make another choice.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malt B, Owner at Malt, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Good Morning

I felt that I wanted to respond to your review for a number of reasons, firstly I am sorry that you did not have a wonderful experience at our restaurant, we work hard at trying to provide the best service, food and drinks for our customers as we realize that people have a choice on where they dine and we really want all of our patrons to leave happy. I was at the restaurant on the evening that you dined and I remember your party, I did check on your party a couple of times, the first time you mentioned to me that there was a mix up with your cheese but that it had been taken care of, and everything was fine, on hearing this I did check with your server and she responded that she had brought you another option and she felt the issue was resolved. I also at another point asked you how everything was to which you responded it was fine. Part of my reason for doing this again was because of the cheese mix up and also because as you stated you were seated beside a large party that were louder than our usual dinner customers, if I had known that they were using inappropriate language I would have addressed the issue . I had thought about moving you to another table and would have been happy to do this but again you said everything was fine so I came to the conclusion that your party was happy. On reading this review I now see this was not the case and I would like to offer you dessert on us as we really do care about our customers and it is not the case that we are not bothered by what goes on in our restaurant, I do wish that we had been able to take care of these issues on the evening that you dined and would have done so if I was aware of them so that you had left with a positive experience.
Middletown, Rhode Island
“just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

my dinner club dined at Malt on a Thursday night. The bar was full as most of the tables but we had reservations. Waitress was attentive and pleasant. We found the menue to be limited...we ordered the shrimp thai nachos, not much kick to them. I remember ordering them the previous restaurant, Tuckers and I almost had to have them toned down! So good! The pear salad was great, burgers nothing to write home about. It was just ok, probably won't go back.

• Visited February 2013