“Beautiful hotel setting with ok service” 3 of 5 stars

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   117 Memorial Boulevard, Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Newport
Arlington
“Beautiful hotel setting with ok service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2007

Both me and my husband went to Newport for a romantic getaway. We stayed at this beautiful property Chanler. When we pulled up and both of our mouth's dropped as we gazed at the beautiful landscaped mansion.

We were greated by a very nice door guy that helped up with our luggage and checked in. We stayed in the Georgian room which was very nice and elegant. There was one problem with our room. For some reason the room was very hot! Even when we had the everything off. Our first night we did not sleep well because it was so hot. Our second night we ended up opening up three of the windows and slept comfortable but in mid February and us having to open up windows to sleep comfortably is weird. I called a couple times to the staff and they told me to just keep the heat down and it would cool down eventually but it never did. It was a shame because we never got to enjoy the fireplace. Nor could we enjoy our tiled bathroom which we tried to put on but they did not seem to work. We even had the staff come up and look at them and they said to reset it if they did not work and walked away and did not follow up with us.

Regarding the service it was not terrible but I felt they did not go out of their way which when you are paying for a nice place you expect them to go above and beyond or at least act like they care.
Nor did they offer any help or anything.

We were never asked if we needed help with making dinner reservations nor were we asked if they could help us with their trip planning activites. Our first night we asked about activities going on and we were given a website and that was it.

A couple times while I was waiting for my boyfriend to go and get the car, I sat down in the main area and no one asked me how we were enjoying our time or if they could help us with anything.

Luckily I read all my dining reviews on tripadvisor so I knew where to go.

But customer service was not all that great.

Overall experience was good but we most likely will not return.

We like bed and breakfast it is much more personable and friendly.

Just my $0.02

• Liked — The best about this place was the location and the look of the place, excellent grouds.
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Massachusets
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

I brought my wife here for a 2nd anniversary romantic weekend, perfection was achieved. The place has Location, Location and beauty. From the gates, grounds, building all beautiful. On entering I knew The Chanler was different and warm. We stayed in the Federal room; four poster bed, working fireplace, tv and dvd player, period items and furniture. The bathroom was huge (with a TV in it), enormous shower with 4 heads one in the ceiling for rainfall effect, and an large hot tub bath (they offer a Bath Butler, who will ensure that when you return from dining there is hot bath run with petals floating on the surface). We had a door leading onto our own private deck, overlooking the cliff walk and beach. On entering the room the lights were already on showing it off to best effect, music was playing and forget the chocolate on the bed... ornate glass plate was laid out with upon it; a peach, apple, blackberries and ginger. I cannot find anything to fault the room, or the staff. We ate at their restaurant, check that review out under The Spiced Pear. I have stayed at B&Bs, 3 stars, and 5 star hotels across America, U.K., Paris and Johannesburg. None of the them came close to The Chanler. If you like 5 star that is big, staff following you around for tips, and trying too hard then this is not the place for you, but we will be returning. How do I top this next year?

Stayed January 2007
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed here in late September and it was just incredible. The room (peonies and Ivy) had it's own private garden courtyard with hot tub and fountain. The deck had an amazing view of the beach and the room had very nice touches, fireplace, heated bathroom floors, lcd tv in bathroom for your butlered bath and wet bar. The Spiced Pear was fanstastic, we both ordered the kobe ribeye which was wonderful. The breakfast was just as incredible (order the french toast, yum). They also provide complimentary transportation to downtown Newport in a Range Rover. I don't understand the poor reviews, the service was incredible, from room service to the butlered bath with candles, salts and champagne. If you don't mind spending the money, go!!!!

• Liked — service was top notch.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — book on luxury link. get half price off of rooms.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

My wife and i stayed here this weekend. The service was outstanding. The room was a little small but was very nice. We stayed in the Block island room. The views were magnificent!!! They have complimentary room service breakfast as well as car service to and from town. We had a wonderful time.. The staff really go out of their way for their guests.
This place is on Point! It was a really romantic place..

• Liked — The Service and the view
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2007

We stayed at the Chanler mid-week between Christmas and New Years'. My wife and I brought our 8 year old and the staff very graciously upgraded us to a larger room. The room was bright, beautiful and perfectly matched the description I read on the web site. The staff couldn't have been more professional or accomodating. While we didn't eat at the Spiced Pear (it was closed the evening we arrived) we were able to order food from the kitchen sitting near the bar and it was quite good - as was the continental breakfast. We were fortunate to have mild weather and so the proximity of the hotel to the Cliff Walk and other sites in Newport was a real advantage. I can't say that the negative comments I read regarding the service matched our experience - in fact, I plan to return to this hotel and it will be primarily because of the service.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2006

We stayed a few nights here & while the room was sumptuous, they really need to offer much more for the amount they're charging! My husband & myself are avid traveler's & have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world (which Charge less than the Chandler & offer so much more). 1st off, we were in Peak Season & we realize College kids need work too but aside from when we 1st arrived, we saw no adult's on staff. Which explained the lack of smooth & accommodating results. On our 1st day, we wanted to book dinner @ the inn restaurant, we were told to go to the hostess, Emily & make a reservation. When we did, she told us she couldn't b'c it was booked but that we could try as walk-in's later. We blanched in surprised b'c we were told @ Check-in that it would be no problem, esp. b'c we're guests. When we came back, we asked the Valet where to eat, he asked us why we weren't eating at the inn..... When we explained, he smirked & told us to try again. Later, we did & she sat us right away. The strangest part was that the restaurant was far from reaching it's capacity all night (BTW, the food was excellent).

The Empire Room: Gorgeous however, there were not proper binds!! At 6am, the sun came pouring in & there was no blackout blind for the window & nothing at all for the Skylight! It was crazy! When we asked the concierge to send maintenance up to take care of it, she said she would, never did & ignored the issue. Also, there was no Newport Guide nor Hotel Amenity Book (FYI – they offer barely anything).

SO...B'c there was no hotel amenity book, we had to ask if they offered Beach Passes for guests (No, but they really should. It would be a nice touch). We also had to ask them for Beach Chairs, Towels & if they could pack us a picnic lunch for the beach. After stumbles & stares & some "ummmm's" they did & produced a couple of ratty beach" chairs & some lame bath towels. They didn't even have proper beach towels. Considering they are perched above a main beach & that's what most people do when they come to Newport, we were VERY surprised that they didn't have their "stuff" together in this regard. It takes VERY LITTLE FORETHOUGHT.

They offered breakfast which was so tiny, we thought they were trying to tell us to go on a diet! Also, they have plenty of room to offer guests a pool AND a Tennis Court. Again, for the costs, it would be nice.

We also stayed @ The Inn at Castle Hill which was ALL about the restaurant & needs to get it's "stuff" together too!....so for Service, Attention to Detail & Generous Offerings which make you feel valued, we HIGHLY recommend the FRANCIS MALBONE INN. The rooms aren't as fancy but they're quaint & as guests we didn't feel ripped offed (finally)!

• Liked — The food at The Spiced Pear, the 3 LCD's in our room was pretty cool too.
  • Disliked — Lack of Offerings to Guests
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to Doris Duke's old home, Rough Point. By Appointment Only.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2006

The hotel itself is a beautiful old mansion perfectly located to take walks on the cliff walk. Our room, Louis XVI was absolutely stunning with a great fireplace and deck. The hotel website suggested we would have an outdoor Jacuzzi which we did not have, however. The hotel is impeccably maintained and the service was, for the most part, outstanding.
We stayed for 3 nights and ran into only 1 problem. The room service continental breakfasts were very skimpy, and our order was wrong all 3 days. I think that part of the problem is that when you charge their prices, people expect everything to be perfect and breakfast to be large and satisfying. Also, we did have some problems with 2 unauthorized charges (ie a drink at the bar that I never had) on our bill.
The Chanler is beautiful, the location great, the rooms wonderful, but, probably not worth the money. It is certainly not up to the service standards of a Four Seasons. That being said, we had a great time.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — room service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Chanler at Cliff Walk? Share your experiences!