“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Westport, CT
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at the Chanler. We have a beautiful room with an oceanfront terrace. The staff was wonderful, accomodating and quite friendly. We had one minor "clitch" during our stay, which the hotel manager was very quick to remedy. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast each morning over looking the cliff walk and lawns. Housekeeping did a great job not only cleaning our room, but our nightly turndown service had us coming back to a room with our slippers and robes laid out, chocolates by our pillows, soft music playing and dimly lit lights. The hotel is perfectly located at the start of the Cliff Walk, so you can walk off some of the thousand calories you'll consume at the delicious Spiced Pear. It was, as most have already commented, expensive, but in our case, we felt we got our monies worth. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

I stayed at The Chanler this past February for an amazing romantic weekend with my husband. Thanks to the overly attentive staff of the hotel, the trip was seamless - they even picked us up at the airport in Boston! The best thing about The Chanler is the beds -the linens are to die for. Luckily for the guests, the Spiced Pear Restaurant offers impeccable room service. I especially loved how guest-oriented The Chanler is. When we checked into our suite there was a hand written note from the management to welcome us and wishing us a wonderful stay. An experience that can't be beat!

• Stayed February 2006
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

The Chanler is a truly spectacular, and obviously the result of a dream, rather than a greedy developer. Whether or not the extravaganza of the Chanler makes financial sense for the developer - or not - is irrelevant for most travelers, but the Chanler during peak season will take a big chunk of your savings. However, it is all worth it. The location is magnificent, the 20 individually designed rooms are great, and the restaurant is one of the best in Newport. It is worth noting that since the rooms differ a lot in style it is good to browse the website prior to booking. Some rooms are unusual, like the Gothic, which one could picture with a dominatrix as one of the amenities. The staff at the Chanler are great, and happy to help. Ask for a tour of the property if you are in Newport, I guarantee that you will be back as a guest...

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

I stayed at the Chanler in early October in one of the Ocean Villas. While the room and hotel are beautiful I had some issues with the service. The staff was very uptight and rigid. The interactions seemed almost forced and left me feeling uncomfortable. I also overheard a few guests bringing similar issues to the attention of the rooms manager and she seemed to respond that they knew what good service was and the guests just mistook formality for rudness. I like to feel welcome at a hotel and the Chanler made me feel like I needed to walk on egg shells.

• Stayed October 2005
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2005

I surprised my husband for his birthday in September with a weekend at The Chanler At Cliff Walk. We had never stayed in Newport before and after doing much research, I decided on The Chanler, which exceeded my expectations. When we drove up to the iron gates and my husband saw where we would be spending his birthday weekend, he was speechless. The mansion is magnificent and absolutely beautiful. We were immediately greeted by 2 valet workers and once inside, we were treated like royalty. We were given 2 glasses of champagne as we walked to our room and when we opened the door, we were filled with excitement. The room was very clean and had a wonderful view of the ocean and cliff walk, lovely antique furniture, beautiful décor, chandeliers, jacuzzi, large shower, and fireplace. Everything about the room was just as The Chanler described on its web site.

Over the weekend, we enjoyed the Taste of Rhode Island, walked along the cliff walk and had dinner at the Spiced Pear Restaurant. Although we had reservations, there was a 15 minute wait given the popularity of the restaurant. We ordered the kobe beef which was superb.

Throughout our stay, the service was excellent. My husband felt like a king and I was so happy to see him enjoy himself in luxury. When it was time to leave, neither one of us wanted to go. We will definitely return to The Chanler.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2005

After reading other mixed reviews, I was anxious to see if I had chosen wisely or not. It is a beautiful place! The service was very personal and at top level. The valet was always on hand, and the rooms were spectacular. All of the furnishings were high end, nightly turndown, great bathroom with Jacuzzi tub. Great location right on the cliffwalk. Worth the money to live like a Vanderbilt for a special occasion :) We would stay there again.
On to the Spiced Pear. The food was very good, well presented, unfortunately everything served was either lukewarm or cold. Service was severely lacking. No one ever checked how a course was, so we wound up eating things before they got colder :( . The waiter forgot we ordered a bottle of wine (which at $100 for the bottle, we were astounded) Anyway, he had about 12 tables by himself, so that might explain it. No fresh ground pepper offered for salad, I could go on, but you get the idea. Hopefully they will get it together, as it is a nice dining room and should be commensurate to the property that it is part of.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2005

My wife and I just spent two splendid days at The Chanler at Cliff Walk. We were most impressed by our luxurious and spacious bedroom. (We were in a large corner suite.) The high quality of finishes throughout the property also created a warm and luxurious ambience. The staff were extremely friendly and very attentive. We ate breakfast and lunch on the terrace overlooking the ocean and commented that this was the most romatic setting we have found anywhere in the US. It reminded us of a small Chateaux we stayed at in Europe. The food in the restaurant at dinner was fine, however, the new chef needs to create his own signature. We recommend this gem of a hotel to those who have an appetite and pocket book for the finer things in life.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to The Chanler at Cliff Walk? Share your experiences!