“A walk back in time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Newport
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“A walk back in time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently spent 3 days at the Chanler . It truly gave you a sense of what it must have been like growing up in a privileged society in Newport. The hotel is the perfect location to enjoy Cliff walk. It is a few steps away from the back porch. The lovely gardens are perfect for sitting in the afternoon sun watching the ocean and enjoying a cocktail. The weather was perfect and so were the amenities at the hotel. The bar and bartender were spot on . The meals at dinner and breakfast were delicious and filling and quite different. The personal tour of the kitchen by the chef was a treat. It was late in the evening and our night cap at the bar enabled us to meet the chef and get a personal tour of how the kitchen runs. Having a car and driver available every day to get to town is a nice touch.
The only downside was the room. We stayed in the "gothic room". After reading about gothic architecture, it could have been decorated different. It was very dark and somewhat "cold" in feel. It was a huge room with allowed you to move around. But, the tub was in the far end of the room and I wonder how many times it really gets used. And to reach the toilet in the middle of the night is a little shaky as you have to descend down three steps in the dark. It did have a lot of amenities though with robes and a great shower and treats every day. The room could have been down in lighter shades for warmth and still maintained its character . we hope to have a different room next time we visit. What a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: I don't believe pool or fitness were available
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Burlington, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I don't give a one-star rating lightly, but unfortunately I cannot give The Chanler anything else. After a lovely three day, two night stay I returned home. The next morning I awoke with a rash that quickly covered my body. I went to my doctor and, after informing him of my activities that week, I was diagnosed with having contracted a bacterial infection from the private hot tub in our room (#16 Peonies & Ivy.)

I immediately contacted The Chanler to inform them of what happened to ensure other guests would not experience the same problem. I requested to speak to the manager on duty. My call was sent to a voice mail. This was a Saturday, and by Monday afternoon I had not heard anything back. I called again and this time spoke to a manager who was apologetic that no one had contacted me. She said she needed to speak with the General Manager and would be in touch. It's Thursday evening and I have yet to hear anything back. The Chanler has failed to acknowledge or apologize for the discomfort I've experienced as a result of my stay. This is why I have to flunk them - a true test of customer service comes when there is a problem, and The Chanler provided absolutely zero service on this matter. I would not stay here again because of it.

If you do stay here, I advise you to avoid the rooms with private hot tubs. If you do decide to risk it, be sure the water smells like chlorine - ours did not (not even faintly.)

Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay. The room was beautiful with a luxurious bathroom, comfortable bed, fireplace, private patio, private garden, as well as the private hot tub (which was initially one of the amenities that attracted me.) Breakfast, which was included in our stay, was delicious. The first morning we ate in the restaurant and got to choose from a variety of entrees. The second day we opted to have a continental breakfast served in our room. We ordered tea and only received hot water - no tea bags. A staff member did bring tea bags after I called, but by the time it was steeped the tea was luke warm.

The restaurant was a foodie's dream come true. We dined there for lunch as well as dinner, and even ate at the Chef's Table one night. Treat yourself and get the tasting menu - the culinary experience is well worth it. The food and staff were absolutely excellent.

Overall, and sadly, I cannot recommend The Chanler due to the lack of customer service. The were happy to collect my money, but were unapologetic about the bacterial infection I contracted in the hot tub. While I wouldn't ever stay there again, I would definitely return to dine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Recently I spent two nights with my husband at the Chanler at Cliff Walk to celebrate his birthday. It couldn't have been more wonderful! The place is beautifully restored and decorated. We had an ocean view from the jacuzzi in our bathroom. The room had a gas stove and a canopy bed. Everything throughout the hotel is immaculate! One of the high points of our stay was to book a private dinner. We had a scrumptious 8 course meal prepared by the chef at their Spiced Pear restaurant in our own wood paneled dining room. They even supplied roses for us to take home. It was expensive but we felt that it was definitely well worth the money. The staff is so well trained. We felt very pampered and hated to leave.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This is our third year at the Chanler and something gets better with each stay. The breakfast, dinner and bar are all top notch. The accommodations; we get an ocean view outside suite feels like home; the proximibity to Cliff Walk and all Newport destinations is great! You need to be there!

• Stayed April 2013
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This boutique hotel delivered all the wonderful things you expect from a specialty hotel, but so much more. We were in the Mediterranean Room. As expected, the staff provided impeccable service, the room had the special amenities such as a wet bar with frig., TV/DVD in all the rooms, spotless cleanliness, beautiful furnishings, doorbell, BUT ALSO, they provided special touches like a heated floor in the bathroom, a 5 nozzle shower, champagne and cookies on arrival, closet lights that automatically turn on/off, separate A/C units in each room, and every possible lighting combination you could want. Worth the effort to try this place

Room Tip: The suites are very special.
Lynn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is the 2nd time I stayed at The Chanler due to a fabulous deal on Sniqueaway.com. This is a mansion located at the beginning of Cliff Walk & nearby beach. So impressive to drive through the wrought iron gates & be greeted by a valet that has your name on a list waiting for you. Upon checking in you are poured a glass of sparkling wine to begin your visit. The rooms are all different & quite sumptuous. Beautiful decor, linens, bathroom & service. Bed is comfortable. This time we stayed in the Georgian Room which is located on the 3rd fl. There are no elevators so it was a bit difficult for us who are getting a bit older to climb those stairs even with the valet delivering our bags to our room. Personalized service by front desk associate who climbed the stairs with us to show us the rooms, all the different switches for lights, gas fireplace which also heats the room, tv in bedroom, tv in bathroom & this one had a jacuzzi tub as well as a walk in shower with multiple showerheads. Bottled water, 2 homemade cookies, & Keurig coffee are in the mini bar complimentary. Full breakfast next morning in the Spiced Pear Restaurant was perfect--Eggs Benedict with juice & coffee--all included in room cost. They also provide driver service to and from local destinations which is really nice service since it is difficult to find parking in Newport anywhere. In sum, the room and view were spectacular. You really can't go wrong staying here if you can. It is elegant, romantic & caters to the guests. NOTE: My only complaint would be that a wedding wasn't closed after 4 hours. It started at 4 pm & we could still hear guests at 12:30 am. We returned from dinner outside the hotel at 8 pm and some wedding guests in the lobby area, restaurant, outside & even on stairwells returning to rooms were drunk & loud. The hotel management may want to close down events after 4 hours and at least by 10:30 pm so hotel guests can get a restful nights sleep. It was difficult to enjoy listening to the ocean waves because of them & this is really not the place for loud guests.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the first floor that have a private entrance outside the hotel. There are no ele...
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

When in Rome, as they say...When searching for a hotel in Newport, I kept thinking that it would be nice to absorb some local color, you know, old wealth circa 1900. A friend who lives a few towns away and has Thanksgiving dinner every year at The Chanler sent me the link. And how glad we were that she did! We sprang for the most expensive suite and it was worth every penny. The hotel was simply gorgeous, from the grounds, to the ocean cliff walk, to every amenity in our enormous room and deck. The staff could not have been more gracious and professional if they tried. And it's worth pointing out that our son got quite sick with a strep throat that had been coming on for days. The hotel manager got us in to see her own doctor within the hour! Between this and the running to the drug store constantly, the staff helped us in every way to squeeze in the mansion tours in the time we had left. I cannot praise this beautiful inn highly enough. I'd go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: I imagine all the rooms are beautiful. It depends on whether you want garden or ocean views. They we...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Chanler at Cliff Walk? Share your experiences!