“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I did not enjoy my stay here. The room was very expensive for the night and the room was very shabby and smelly with no air. The bed was way too small and way to high for comfort.There were even bugs crawling across the cabinet. I was not disappointed in the service, however. The staff in all areas were very nice and polite and the service in the restaurant by Maureen was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Pepperell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I can still close my eyes and see the surf and hear the waves crashing on the beach. I was staying in the Block Island ocean villa and it truly was like my own villa on Newport's coast. Even a guest of the Vanderbilt's Breakers would not have had a more beautiful view nor room from which to enjoy it. Elegant, tasteful, warm, friendly.

When I arrived, I was exhausted and stressed from a long summer of troubles - in two short days pampered by The Chanler - I was genuinely at peace, rested and happy. Any request was a mere phone call away. The staff was amazingly a treat. It goes without saying that the mansion is simply stunning - that can be seen on the web. What cannot be gathered from the web is the lovely ambiance of being there which is generated by the location and most important by the true and genuine pleasant nature of all the people who work there.

There is a welcome letter in the room which states that the staff "really enjoys what they do". I found that to be profoundly true. The people like each other - they are friends - and I was welcomed to join in that.

I'll relate a tiny detail to give you an idea. On the second night, I had dinner in my room looking out through elegant french doors at the surf. A woman rang my phone to bring the turndown service. Since I was still eating, I went down to meet her at my courtyard gate. I told her I would like the sweets (mmmm) but was all set with any other needs for the evening. She and I began chatting about RI, the ocean, our families and we laughed and I finally let her go with a hug.

Perhaps I am biased, but RI has the most beautiful ocean views and the most lovely people - find both at The Chanler. I was born and grew up in RI falling asleep to the sound of those waves. It was like going home and hard to leave.

I will return.

Room Tip: My advice - the ocean villas or a room with a balcony with ocean view. If you miss the view of the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent and top of the range hotel with excellent and top of the range service without any traces of snootiness, leading to a perfect and very relaxed stay, in our case unfortunately just for one night.

Beautifully situated at the beginning of Cliff Walk, it is close to the famous Newport mansions. The downtown harbour area is a little further away but still within walking distance.

The hotel is decorated tastefully and with much care, and so was our room, the Federal. It has a private roof deck, that we could not use because of the rain, and a beautiful and comfortable bathroom.
There is a vent just outside the room but we found the room is sound-insulated very well. Still, a slight monotonous buzz can be heard inside although it didn't disturb our sleep.

Finally, a special mention of waitress Maureen who made our delicious and included breakfast very memorable.

This hotel sets an example.

Room Tip: The Federal room is not too big, but certainly not small, beautifuly decorated and has a huge bathro...
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

From the moment I pulled up to the Chanler I was treated like royalty. This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. Unfortunately, I was only in town for one night. I stayed in the French Provincial room which was absolutely beautiful and had a spectacular view of the beach from both the bedroom and bath. I would absolutely return time and time again. It is quite pricey, but the service, location right on the Cliff Walk, and beauty are worth it.

• Stayed July 2012
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Chanler for our mini honeymoon and it was just what we were looking for. "Excellent service" is the phrase that comes to mind, at the end of it all. From the moment we pulled into the driveway, we were greeted with a smile, our car was whisked away and valet parked for us, and we were given the key to our room and sent off to enjoy ourselves.

We stayed in the Colonial room, which is a bit small, but perfect for the two of us. The only flaw that I noticed was that the walls were quite thin, and we could hear the people on the other side of us, as well as people entering the front of the building or in the parking lot. Otherwise, this hotel screams "relaxed luxury". The room smelled fantastic, there were two delicious and beautiful chocolate covered pears waiting for us upon our arrival (the restaurant at the hotel is called the "Spiced Pear", I'm assuming this was part of their signature), and the turn down service was there like clockwork every night to make our beds ready to sleep in, and put specialty chocolates on our pillows.

The tile floor in the bathroom was heated, there was a gas fireplace in the room, and we had a semi private deck with a great view of the ocean and the beautiful lawn, complete with adirondack chairs to kick back and relax with a glass of wine in. The hotel has two Buick SUV's (nice ones) and they will drop you off and pick you up wherever you need to go, whenever (I think it was up until 11pm). This came in handy, as the hotel is at the beginning of the cliff walk and a little bit out of the way of "downtown", but it certainly saved us money parking our own car downtown.

The property is gorgeous and well maintained, and the mansion itself is elegant and beautifully restored. The beach is RIGHT there, if you feel like walking down to get your feet wet or swimming, in the summer. I'd love to come back and check out the rest of the rooms and the different styles. Though expensive, we found the little luxuries to be worth it, and the Chanler did not disappoint. We will be back!

Room Tip: The Colonial room, though quaint and charming, was a bit noisy. Thin walls. I'd recommend gett...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Georgian Room was cozy and comfortable with beautiful views. Fireplace was enjoyed even in Sept. Front desk and valets were warm, friendly and accommodating. Car service to restaurants in town was a nice touch. Convenient to mansions and Cliff Walk. We walked the entire length and back to hotel, just in time for sunset libations on the lawn. Maurice in bar pours great cocktails. Evening at Spiced Pear was outstanding. Laurel takes care of guests who forget belongings and responds with outstanding service in shipping overnight. Thanks! We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Georgian room is on third floor with access via steps.
Massapequa Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Absolutely loved our stay at The Chanler. We have been there twice and each time was wonderful. From the minute you arrive the staff is warm and welcoming and ready to help you with anything you might need. The views are beautiful and the hotel is a walk away from the beginning of The Cliff Walk. My husband and I love it here and can't wait to go back again. Thank you Chanler for making each stay a wonderful one!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chanler at Cliff Walk? Share your experiences!