“Perfect location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Inn on the Harbor

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Inn on the Harbor to your Saves list
Wyndham Inn on the Harbor
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   359 Thames St., Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Fairfield Newport at Inn on the Harbor)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Jefferson, Maryland
“Perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

After reading some unfavorable reviews of this property, I was concerned that maybe I had made a bad choice when booking. My fears quickly vanished when we entered our room overlooking the harbor, We are Wyndham owners and have stayed at resorts across the country, including Hawaii , Inn on the Harbor can't compare to larger properties when it comes to space, activities or amenities , but it provided a clean room with a sitting room overlooking the harbor and a small kitchen that was well stocked, Who needs more when you have the beautiful town of Newport at your front door? We will definitely be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Inn on the Harbor, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hi Liz,

Thank you for providing such great feedback. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the resort accommodations and your unit view. We look forward to your next visit!

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Letchworth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Not impressed at all . On entering our room it didn't smell very pleasant at all , just felt unclean . How right we were. When it came to going to bed we pulled the bedclothes down only to find stained sheets , they also looked as if they hadn't been changed , YUK !!!!!!!! We then looked at the spare bedding only one sheet looked clean the other one was stained. We put the clean sheet on top of the bed and slept on that . They did apologise the next day and the bedding was changed immediately . The towels were also stained !!!!! We left the windows open and turned off the A/C the room then smelled better . The staff were very friendly and certainly sorted the problem out , but the room should have been cleaned to a much higher standard. Not a pleasant experience especially when you are on holiday

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Inn on the Harbor, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hi Veronica,

We are so sorry to hear of the concerns you experienced with your unit cleanliness. We are glad that housekeeping was able to come assist and change the bedding. We know that while on vacation, it is important that we meet a certain level of expectation. We appreciate the feedback and will be taking action to ensure that this is not an issue for future guests. Again, thank you for taking the time to reach out.
Long Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We arrived at the Wyndham early on Friday afternoon, approximately 12:30. To our surprise our room was ready and we were able to check in. We had booked a one bedroom suite. The hotel worker was very polite and accommodating. We had two cars and although we were only entitled to one parking pass for the two nights we would be staying, she was able to give us a second pass for the first night. She said that the second night would be full, so no pass.
The room had an interesting setup, where you entered into the bedroom then traveled past the galley kitchenette and into the small living room overlooking the harbor. The view was spectacular!
The room was very simple, boring, and old. The room really could use a makeover, it was quite dated. Also, it amazed me that this room didn't have a balcony and the windows only opened about three inches. They really should warn quests that there are no balconies.
We weren't in Newport to hang in our room so although the room was a bit disappointing, it was in a great location and met all of our needs. I would stay here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the harbor, the view was amazing.
Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I was extremely excited to head down to Newport for the weekend and we got this great location for an ok price. We went down on a Friday to stay for the weekend. The rooms are nice and set up for timeshare stays. We booked a room for two nights. On arrive for check in, the front desk was not to polite and told me that we have to change rooms tomorrow and there was nothing we can do about that. I mean really? This is how you speak to someone that just paid $550.00 for two nights (not to polite) I am pretty sure it would have been proper to call me before hand to inform me that during my two night stay, a room change is going to occur. They also gave me a parking pass for my car and said that I "may" be able to get a spot downstairs. The next day came around and I went down to the front desk to see if they had our room ready for us in the early afternoon. They said no and that we had to leave the other room for a while in the meantime until our new room was ready. They also called the room three times to get me to come down and "recheck in" They made me redo paper work, show id, and a new credit card. They also made me put a new parking pass on my car. This ruined my whole entire Sat as they treated me like I didn't already make a two night reservation. For only being there 48hrs at an expensive price, they surely ruined my trip to Newport. This was sopose to be easy and smooth but it was the opposite. I don't care if the hotel had a timeshare guest coming in my room. I should have been informed and they shouldn't have put me through this. They are in the HOSPITALITY business and didn't act that way.
The worst part of the whole thing is what happened after my trip. I told my story in the customer service survey to Windham. A week later, I received a call from the hotels guest service manager. We spoke and she agreed that this was not right and she would seek a refund for me. She said that she was on vacation until the following week and she would follow up with me. Two weeks went by and I called and left voicemails. Now it is almost a month later and I have heard nothing and my call was not returned.
Overall, it was a waste of money and I am not happy that Wyndham is now ignoring it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Inn on the Harbor, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi Adam,

We apologize for the employee demeanor and delay at check-in. Please know we will look to utilize this feedback to ensure a smoother check-in process. With this information we can continue to improve our guest stay experience.
Hinckley, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We planned our trip to Newport last minute and never having been to the city, I wasn't sure what we'd find as far as accommodations. I had good luck with Wyndhams before so when I realized there was a vacancy I grabbed it.
We were EXTREMELY pleased. The bedroom was separate from the rest of the living space and the use of space for the kitchenette was genius. It had everything we needed and more.
The location was perfect. We didn't need to take our car out once!
The staff was helpful and friendly.
This was the perfect place to stay in a resort town. This was our first Newport experience, but won't be our last. Thanks for making our first impression so memorable!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the harbor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

we spent just a single night at the resort as we were in town to check out 80's band Foreigner at the Newport Yachting Center. Thats a great place to see a live act (and Foreigner certainly delivered) as well, but thats a story for another day. The resort is in the BEST location in Newport, right off Thames, next to Ben & Jerrys and the Red Parrot is right across the street. There's a great little, Harbor Front Restaurant & Grill on the first floor with several beers on tap and the Sox on the big screen. The room was clean, big and the staff was exceptional. What more does one need ? Oh yea.....FREE PARKING for wyndham owners. I'm sold on this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Marathon, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

So, you think that by booking a room in an exclusive area, with a prestigious sounding name, you'd be OK, huh? Think again.

The nightly room price covers only the bare minimums. I'm talking bare. Parking is an extra $20/day.

Want a refrigerator? I can buy room sized ones all day long for $99, but they will charge you $15/day for one. Even a Holiday Inn has a fridge for no extra charge.

Oh, and I ordered a fridge for $15/day...still waiting for it to be brought up to my room.

Great location. Crappy staff, especially the front desk. Power was out for nearly three hours last night. No storm, just crappy maintenance. Rooms are so-so. Not nearly enough power outlets.

I'd stay again if I didn't have to pay for parking and a refrigerator.

Room Tip: Good luck!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Inn on the Harbor? Share your experiences!