“Never Got to stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Inn on the Harbor

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Inn on the Harbor to your Saves list
Wyndham Inn on the Harbor
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   359 Thames St., Newport, RI 02840 (Formerly Fairfield Newport at Inn on the Harbor)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Linden
“Never Got to stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Be aware that this is a timeshare with a Saturday Check-in for Owners. AND If you plan to stay Friday and Saturday you are very likely to have to move rooms during the busy season.
I was informed of this after I received two check-in forms and called the desk to confirm why. At that time I was told it was “Highly Likely” we would have to check out at 11am and wait to get another room for our second day. No guarantees could be made for staying in the same room as Owners get their unit. They could not assist me with other options. While they were very courteous they were not very helpful in solving the problem as I had to wait until the Extra Holidays office was open.
Since I had time to research further I discover another BRAND that actually had someone I could speak with and confirm what I was getting. I cancelled the reservation and then called Extra Holidays to express that it might be nice to know what the Check-in dates are when booking. Again very coutesous but I really did not feel that they cared I took my business elsewhere.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Clifton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We are just finishing a great week at Newport RI. This timeshare unit, while clean, was only adequate. It did not compare to what we traded. The rooms were railroad type with the entry door opening into the bedroom. There were no built in closets and no safe. A huge plus though...floor to ceiling windows overlooking the bay and sunsets!!! There were no balconies or decks but there was a wonderful roof deck. Another huge plus was location. It is on lower Thames Street and within walking distance of almost everything. We walked to the cliff walk and to all the mansions and sometimes used the trolley to comeback. Oh, by the way, we are seniors!!!

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing west!!!! beautiful sunsets and a view of the bay.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Checked in Sunday (4/1), friendly smile, quick, no hassles. Parking was available. Rooms looked like they have been updated but would have preferred bamboo flooring and a glass door on the large shower. The view of the harbor is outstanding. No jacuzzi.

Will come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for the 6th floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NORWOOD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed in the Wyndham Inn on the harbor for 4 nights in Febuary. The location was perfect and the view of the harbor was an extra bonus. It was walking distance to most of the restaurants and shops in the area. The frontdesk personel were always willing to answer any questions and always greeted you with a smile. We had a great time in Newport and the Wyndham Inn was perfect for us.

Room Tip: See if you can get the harbor view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Perfect downtown location, wonderful harbor view, and nice size rooms at this Wyndham. We stayed here in early November and had a great time walking to see the sights of Newport during the day, and exploring the many bars and restaurants at night. I'd definitely go back and stay here for a summer weekend too!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Make no mistake, this is not a luxury accommodation, but it does have a fantastic water view, good location for walking to restaurants, shops, kayak rentals, grocery store, and a post office, which for some reason I needed on vacation. We rented from a time share owner using Craigslist. The rate was amazing for a week, far, far below market for anything else in the area with water views. The unit was like a mini condo. Entry was into a bedroom with queen size bed, then a hallway/galley kitchenette with a door to the bath (with vanity sink separated from shower-toilet) and which opened to the living/dining area with a mostly all-glass view. We were on the top floor, which was very quiet and provided a super view. I would avoid the units that do not face the water. The living room has a sleep sofa, arm chair and dining set with 4 chairs. The bedroom has another arm chair that we pulled into the living room. There were TVs in both the living room and bedroom, but we didn't watch them. Neither the bed nor the sleep sofa were great, but we were able to sleep just fine. There is no balcony, but during daylight hours, the roof deck is available. We went up there a couple of times for a really nice view and a fantastic sunset.

A couple of notes:
- Parking is mostly under the building (the building is on stilts and access is easy), with some a level up on the lobby level. This is fantastic as parking around Newport is terrible during tourist season. No valets needed, no gates.
- The elevator is beyond slow. I suggest avoiding it if possible.
- There is free wifi.
- There was free coffee in the lobby until late morning most days.
- There is no daily maid service. Cleaning is once during your weeklong stay (Tue or Wed), but you can leave trash outside of your door and request towels at any time.
- There is no fitness facility, but the front desk will give you passes to the local Y, which is about 2.5 miles away. The Y is very nice, pretty new.
- There is no pool, but the Y has an indoor facility. Go to the beach if you need outside water :-)

Bottom line: The property is dated, but the unit we had was clean and perfect for our needs, a week with my husband, two of our college-aged children, and me. The key here is pricing: We ended up spending $135 a night ($950 for the week). With that location and free parking and wifi, it was worth dealing with the elevator and lack of luxury.

Room Tip: Go for waterfront on the 5th or 6th floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at the Wyndham Inn on the Harbor for a week at the end of September 2011. Overall, this was a great week. If we were back in Newport, I'd definitely consider staying at this location again.

Details:
* I expected it be like a time-share experience, so I wasn't surprised that we only had the one "mid-week tidy" on Tuesday. They came in and changed the towels and took our trash. They even did the dishes I left in the sink - what a pleasant surprise! The unit seemed very clean as well.
* Parking is included. This is a fantastic perk - parking is really at a premium in Newport! We could drive when we wanted to go on a day trip outside town. Everything else was within walking distance for us. We were able to find parking in the lower level of the garage every day, so the car was covered. There are "tandem" spots in the upper level where you'd need to leave your keys with the desk if you parked behind someone else. I can see that that could be a hassle, but it did not affect us at all this trip.
* The bathroom is divided with the sink in one part, then a door that separates the toilet and shower.
* The unit we stayed in had a shower only - no tub. The shower was generously sized - I don't usually like shower-only units, but this one was very nice - enough room to move in and out of the water. I have to say I think I preferred this to the traditional shower-over-tub - didn't need to step over the edge of the tub every day. Another pleasant surprise.
* The layout of the unit is a little odd. You walk in off the hall to the bedroom. Then there's a little hall with a galley kitchen on one side and the bathroom on the other. Then there's a small living room with a pullout sofa and small table with chairs. I can see why they put the living room where you have the view of the harbor - it was beautiful. But it did feel odd to walk through the bedroom to the get to the living room.
* The rooms are also pretty tight. It's all functional, but I wouldn't recommend more than 2 people in the unit - I think you would be tripping over each other. The photos from the other travelers were very accurate to our unit - they give a sense of the amount of space.
* I did buy some minimal groceries (cereal and milk, soft drinks, some items for snacking), so the refridgerator and dishes/flatware were very handy. We didn't do any actual cooking, though. If you do plan to cook, be aware that there's very limited counter space. Not a problem for us, though.
* We didn't ask for much from the staff, but when we did, they were courteous and helpful. And they generally smiled, wished us a good day, and such as we came and went.
* Location is great - in the middle of it all. We had no problem with noise from the bar/restaurant on the first floor - maybe because it was after Labor Day and the general vibe overall in Newport was a little quieter.
* There is no pool. Space is very tight in that part of town, so that doesn't surprise me - i don't know where they'd put a pool! I'm told that you could go to a local Y or something. This was not a priority for us - we didn't make use of that option.
* The exterior photo makes it look like you have a small balcony. At least in our unit, you did not. It's just a railing outside the windows. On the plus side, you could open one of the windows to let fresh air in - a rarity in most hotels these days.

I am not giving it 5 stars because of a couple of details. I'll say again that I really liked this place. But there were a few details that kept it from being outstanding.
* Bed in the bedroom was a double, not a queen. Does anyone really expect 2 adults to be able to sleep together in a double bed any more?
* It would be nice to have a safe in the room.
* The "tightness" of the unit - if there was just a little more space, it would feel more relaxing. Not a deal breaker, but not enough to rate the full 5 stars from me.
* When I asked if there was a computer I could use, I was told I needed to go a couple of blocks down the street to another Wyndham. We did go over there and the staff there was nice too. Not having a computer at our location was not a huge problem, but it would be so much more convenient to have been able to look things up or print our boarding passes right there.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Inn on the Harbor? Share your experiences!