“Really going downhill!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 20 hotels in Newport
Syracuse, New York
“Really going downhill!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've stayed here many times over the years because of the value and location. This summer we stayed there for four nights and it wasn't that bad although not as good as in the past. This past weekend was a terrible experience. The room had a very strong odor of dog urine as did the hallway in various spots. The bathroom floor was not clean and there was hair visible on it when we first entered the room. The desk clerks always seem like they would rather be somewhere else (can't blame them). The thug quotient in the neighborhood seems to be rising as well. The manager seems like a nice guy with nothing to work with. My girlfriend swears she will never stay here again. I cannot recommend this place to anyone anymore.

Room Tip: The earlier you arrive, the better chance of getting switched to a better room if the original one i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The motel is located just north of town on a busy highway. There are lots of shopping areas right nearby and within walking distance, including a Walmart and a Stop and Shop. I was given a large, two bedded room, number 107. The room was clean and furnished in the usual Motel 6 style. There is a long counter along the wall that has three large drawers on one end, two shelves on the other and a chair in the middle. There is a small TV on top and plenty of room to spread out one's supplies. There is also a luggage rack with a clothes rack and hangers above it. The bathroom was spotless and well furnished with towels. The sink is vanity style with sufficient room and mirror is large. The shower was great and there was plenty of water pressure. My bed was very comfortable with a firm mattress. Bed linens were clean looking and adequate. The room is very well lit, with two lamps over the nightstand between the two beds and another over the counter area. There was no noticeable smell of smoke or anything else. Rooms are accessed from the inside from either the office area or doors at the end of the hallway. I was near the end of the hall, so I didn't have to walk far. I was able to park my car right outside my window. My only negative comments would be that the hallways look a bit tired and dingy and my airconditioner/heater seemed stuck in the on (AC) position. The temperature control dial didn't seem to be working, nor did the mode dial. Even switched to stop, it kept running. Rather than to go through the hassle of requesting another room, I simply unplugged it, since there was really no need for either heat or AC. I did mention it to the clerk, but it didn't appear that he rushed to make a note of it. All in all, a good choice for the budget traveler in expensive Newport. Room cost, including tax and senior discount was $61.

Room Tip: Highway noise was very noticeable in the morning, but it didn't bother me at all during the nigh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ringwood, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place is great. We got here and the front desk guy was really nice. When we got to the room it looked as if it had been renovated. The carpet was clean and everything was spotless. The windows open(awesome) and it has a great air conditioner.

The area around the hotel is great. There is a shopping center with a Wal Mart, Dunkin Donuts, Old Navy, and other stores in case you need anything. We ate at Cilantro Mexican Grill the night we got into town before retiring to the hotel. We plan on getting up early to explore Newport.

I'm sorry others had a bad experience but I think it's a GREAT hotel and it's very clean in a great area. It's 5 minutes from downtown Newport, tops.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Had to book a room in Newport at the last minute and could not justify paying over $300 for 6 hours sleep so we stayed at Motel 6 in Newport RI. Never again at any Motel 6 for that matter. This place was the most dreary and dismal place we have ever stayed at in our lives. The windows were filthy. The toilet bowl was tipsy and the mattress was as thin as I have have been on. On top of that the place stunk of commercial cleaner to mask the muskiness of this pit. Should have slept in my SUV.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money if you feel the need to stay in town, or travel a few more miles to the outski...
Bay Shore, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

You should and could expect better. Do you like springs in your back, you'll love their beds. Are you used to a clean look but not clean, you'll love this place. Do you mind waiting 1 minute to fill your hands with enough water to wash your face.
The room was not clean, only organized.
Old soiled king mattress , no mattress cover or pillow covers & only 3.
-1/3 filled pillows.
Like all other reviews, AC on high & no control over it except to turn off ( at the GFIC button on the plug)
Staff has the expression of someone who just lost their family.
As said before, not clean, and I did not see a cleaning cart or room keeper in sight .
Said free WIFI. At $ 3.30 per day!!

Room Tip: Bring tents and make it a camping trip!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We should have known something was up when we walked into our room at 9:30 pm to find the air-conditioning on full blast. When the room finally did come down from the freezing point the smell of mildew was overpowering. The room itself was otherwise clean but we wouldn't stay here again. It's on a main road near a shopping plaza. The noise didn't bother us but the fact there were so many people hanging around the parking lot and by the rear access doors (as if they were waiting to sneak in behind someone with a key card), was a bit unnerving. The sheets were also so scratchy I wished I brought winter pajamas to keep my skin covered.

I've noticed in the past few years that Motel Six properties have been going downhill. No shampoo packets... not even a clock radio in the room! The price is always right but I'd be willing to pay a little more for some basic amenities. I'm glad I remembered to bring my own hairdryer.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the third or fourth year we are here at the Motel 6 Newport with our ginormous beast. We come for a couple of weeks and stay the first night here, before moving to our timeshare. Not much has changed since last year. It is still the basic motel format, the rooms were updated last year I think, this year we were in the other wing of the motel, but the rooms are the same. It is clean, seems a bit damp and musty-smelling, but that's due to the humidity and moisture. (No change from any other year.) They provide soap, there is a vending machine and an ice machine off the lobby as well as coffee. There's greenery around for your dog, and you can walk to various shops and restaurants, which is nice. Plenty of parking. This is an interior-hallway Motel 6, so if you want to have access to the outside as much as possible get a room on the end. First floor is just double queens, no kings except on the 2nd floor. Wifi available - for a fee - in some rooms but not others. Reservations were super easy to make online, the pet policy is any pet of any size (and just try finding THAT elsewhere!) for no additional fee, and where else can you get a room in Newport in August for under $75 including all taxes (which are obnoxiously high in RI but that's not Motel 6's fault)? The absolute BEST thing happened to us, though. We arrived super early - I have no idea what time check in is, but I'm sure it's not before noon and probably more like 2 pm. We actually arrived at 8:30 in the morning, and thought we'd see what time we could check in... they let us have the room right then, for no additional charge! They were so nice and so helpful, and having driven through the night we were able to get some much-needed sleep that morning. The front desk was just so nice, and accommodating. Everyone was also really nice to our dog, even though I think some of the staff were a little thrown by him (he is a 200# Saint Bernard and as friendly as they come). Also, speaking of dogs, this is also walking distance to the local dogpark. We will be back next year, of course!

Room Tip: King beds are on 2nd floor, if you want wifi be sure to specify as not all rooms have it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Newport? Share your experiences!