“Visit every year especiallyto hear JAVA JIVE !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oceancliff Hotel

Oceancliff Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newport
Oceancliff Hotel
65 Ridge Road, Newport, RI 02042   |
Ranked #9 of 20 hotels in Newport
Maine
“Visit every year especiallyto hear JAVA JIVE !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

For the past several years our extended family of four generations have visited this hotel to see and enjoy the band JAVA JIVE !! We spend this entire Monday in the middle of July dancing, singing, eating and drinking while enjoying the ambiance of the Safari outdoor patio, bar and dance floor with the magnificent view of Newport harbor! This year I have tried to contact this hotel and restaurant several times. They have had many excuses for the manager who is never available to come to the phone. I am told that it is rumored that they will have jazz bands there this summer. I am wishing I could contact someone at the hotel to ask if JAVA JIVE will be there? What a dissapointment it will be if they are not ! Hopefully this hotel is not making changes that effect the hiring of this awesome entertainment! Unfortunatly they are not being straight forward and honest about their summer schedule and I question what will happen to their business because of this? We are not going to book here again until we get an answer. They are losing alot of business with our family!

• Liked — The entertainment
  • Disliked — It would now have to be managment
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

We just got married at Oceancliff, it is so beautiful there. the ceremony outside was breathtaking. the location is so stunning, the service and staff is excellent, and the lobster was amazing. I think that the guests were so impressed by the fabulous venue. Oceancliff keep up the good work.
YOu made our special day so wonderful , i can't thank you enough.

Stayed June 2008
Ruxton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We were extremely pleased by our President's weekend stay in Oceancliff I - the timeshare rentals of the Oceancliff resort. Our one bedroom suite had a nice pullout bed in the living room and was spacious enough for two couples. We had a beautiful view of the water and "Castle on the Hill" was directly in front of us.. Our newly refurbished room had tasteful furniture, a gas fireplace that really put out some heat (and we had cold weather the first night and fog) and a flat screen TV. It had a nice round dining table for four.. and a kitchen area with full refrigerator, cabinets with china and silverware for four... a two burner stove, coffee maker and plenty of cabinet space. There was a huge double closet in the Master bedroom another TV and two full baths (new) one with a nice sit down shower and the other with a jacuzzi tub (for one). It was a great unit. The kitchen was a little dark.. with a flourescent light under the counter and a microwave light, but we managed well enough. New carpeting and a coat closet in the living room just inside the door made the unit - just perfect. We hear it is really booked solid in the summer and we can see why! They are still rennovating other units but we were lucky enough to get a new one. And the view - of the Naragansett Bay (I think) was breathtaking from the large bay window with creamy striped roman shades and a door leading out to a small wooden balcony (with seats and a table for enjoying spring/summer evenings) Lovely decor, great amenities, clean as a whistle.. very nice stay! It is a 10 minute drive from town and very peaceful at this time of year.. there is a indoor pool as well and very nice grounds to walk around.. great place.

Stayed February 2008
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

We were looking at sites for a wedding in the fall of 2008, when we came across Ocean Cliff. They sent us a folder with all of their pricing and it seemed like a great place - so we booked an appointment. After driving 2 hours each way, we came to find out that their folder excluded one little important sheet of paper--with the astronomical fees involved in renting their site: up to $9,000 for 5 hours. They don't even mention it until you get there. It's a total bait and switch. If you're thinking about having a wedding there, be wary, for that amount of money, work with someone you can trust.

Stayed January 2008
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I booked my wedding at OceanCliff in January of 2007 for October of 2008. Unfortunately, my fiance and I were forced to relocate due to his job and had to cancel our wedding there due to a four hour drive. OceanCliff REFUSED to refund our deposit of $2500 even with a 15 month notice. Best of all, I was told I could not have the owner's name to contact him/her to request a refund because it was "against company policy". This is a beautiful location for a wedding, but beware of their shoddy business practices!!!!

• Liked — Beautiful location/view
  • Disliked — Terrible business practices
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2007

I can't say enough about the OcenCliff. It was a last minute reservation for myself, my wife and our 12 year old son, and we received an upgraded room, without asking, and also a foldout bed, without asking.....so a $275/night room for only $165..

It is basically a castle, and our room was fantastic. the location is only about 10min from downtown, and the same from the mansions. The only issue was they only have wireless in the library....no biggy... We will return here EVERY YEAR..

Do not confuse this with the OceanCliff timeshares....completely seperate....Also, the staff was an amazing asset to OceanCliff Thanks Jennifer!!

Stayed June 2007
Tranquility, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

My husband and I have been returning to the "Oceancliff" in Newport for nearly thirty years. We go as far back with this Inn to when it was called "Shamrock Cliffs." At that time, the main house and gate house were the only buildings on the property, and the pool was operational. We have seen owners and management teams come and go. We hated when they built the time share units; we were spoiled by the way it was without them, but our love for the place has kept us coming back. I have read mixed reviews about the Oceancliff, but I can honestly say that my husband and I have never experienced anything other than a wonderful stay. The rooms are spotless, the views and grounds are beautiful, and although the continental breakfast can be upgraded a bit, we have always enjoyed other meals we have had here, especially lunch outside on the patio. You can't beat the ambiance. (I must mention that we are in the restaurant business, and are very fussy.)
I would like to share with you what occurred on our last visit. This is what makes a great inn:
We last visited in September of 2006. My husband had to go home a day early and my daughter (8) and I stayed for an extra day, just the two of us. We were the only guests in the hotel. It was like the place was ours. Late that afternoon, while in my room, I became seriously ill. I felt I might be in need of an ambulance. My daughter was very scared. I told her to call the front desk for help. The staff arrived immediately. They could not do enough to take care of me and my daughter. Any request I had, they happily obliged. I ended up not needing the ambulance, but was sick for the next few hours. I could not tend to my daughter. I am the type of mom that never lets my daughter out of my sight, and felt I was at the mercy of the hotel staff. They went out of their way to help me and my daughter during that time. One of the female employees gained my trust and took my daughter to the kitchen, made a meal made for her, and kept her company the whole time. I was far away from home, without my husband, horribly ill, and in need of assistance. The staff made all the difference in how the experience turned out. We continue to love the Oceancliff and plan to return regularly for the next thirty years!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Oceancliff Hotel? Share your experiences!