“*Happiness is Here*” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gardenview Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Gardenview Bed and Breakfast
You added Gardenview Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
8 Binney St., Newport, RI 02840   |
Ranked #23 of 100 Newport B&B and Inns
bessyboo27
“*Happiness is Here*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my 3rd trip so far to Newport, and also the 3rd B&B that I have stayed in. I wanted to return to Newport for a romantic & fun getaway to celebrate my new relationship with "Justin" (Mary, an inside joke between us!). It was both of our decisions to book a 2-night stay at the Gardenview, based on availability, room description, location, price and reviews.

Upon arrival, we received a friendly welcome from Mary, the owner/ innkeeper of the property. Our initial feel of the place is that it's very traditional, quaint, pretty, neat and clean! We certainly enjoyed our Sun-Lit suite and all of its amenity offerred. We also enjoy Mary's healthy and delicious breakfast very much! I couldn't get enough of her fresh squeezed O.J.

It was my boyfriend's 1st visit to a B&B and Newport and to my surprise he really enjoyed overall experience in Newport while staying at the Gardenview! We're already talking about a return visit and stay in late April of 2013 to celebrate our 1 YR <<fingers crossed>>

Thank you so much for all your hospitality, Mary! Take a good care of Fritzie (spelling?)
SEE YOU BOTH AGAIN ...

Bess & "Justin"
Farmington Valley, CT

Room Tip: The Sun-Lit Suite :: a nice spacious accommodation with canopy king-sized bed, Whirpool tub w/ remov...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Mary is one of the sweetest B&B owners we've ever come across. Sure, she's a little too talkative, but she tries oh-so-hard to provide a tasty breakfast and make sure your stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. With how expensive Newport is, we found Gardenview to be excellent value, particularly considering its location just a short drive from the beach and mansions as well as the downtown area. We stayed in the downstairs' room which was clean and roomy, perfect for our purposes. And now Mary has wireless interest - an unexpected surprise! We will certainly return on a future trip to Newport.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I spent an extra long weekend in Newport in June. We wanted to find a place that has great food and is reasonably priced. We found it in Gardenview B&B. At each of the breakfasts there were scones and granola with yogurt in addition to the main meal. My favorite was the french toast made with a sweet bread. It was amazing. She also offered fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee, tea and water. Delicious!!

Mary is very friendly and knowledgeable about Newport and directed us to some great things to do. She also offered us a discount for the mansion tours, which was an unexpected perk. The location was good. It was a walkable distance to most everywhere we wanted to go, but if the weather had been warmer, we probably would have wanted to take a bike or car.

We stayed in the Garden Room on the first floor. It was nice. My husband slept really well, but I had a hard time sleeping - but that probably had more to do with my pregnancy than the bed though.

If we return to Newport, we would stay there again!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
East Setauket, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I went to Newport for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. We stayed in the Sun-Lit suite on the second floor - huge, airy, and private wih lovely antiques and many comfortable touches - a chaise lounge by the open widow overlooking the garden, bottled water awaiting us in the little hidden fridge, chocolate truffles in a bowl on a dresser...

Because it is located off the beaten path, it is quiet there, but still an easy walk to the Thames Street dining and shopping area and the waterfront. The owner, Mary Fitzgerald, is friendly and hospitable, with a warm and welcoming manner and in-depth knowledge of Newport, since she is a native. She was able to provide us with a special deal on Mansion tickets, which we were glad to use. Her breakfasts were delicious, too.

Bottom line, I can't see any reason to stay anywhere else while visiting Newport. If I were to return there, I would head straight for the Gardenview B&B and that Sun-Lit suite!

Room Tip: There are only 2 rooms at this facility - actually, this is another selling point! We did not see t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed in the Garden Room, first floor, with easy access to a beautiful backyard garden with picnic table, chairs, fountains and many birds, singing sweetly. Our queen bed was comfortable and our small bathroom very adequate. The sitting room between our sleeping room and the kitchen/dining area was stocked with useful tourist information and free "serve yourself" coffee and tea. Breakfast was cooked for us, based on the owner's menu--for us, a warm, syrupy thick french toast on day 1, thick griddle cakes on day 2, and bacon and eggs on day 3. Each day we had freshly squeezed orange juice and homemade chocolate chip scones as well. There is a second floor room with king bed and more spacious accomodations. Gardenview is near the end of the Newport peninsula, very close to Bellevue Ave and the mansions and not far from Gooseberry Beach and Ft. Adams. Its an easy bike ride to town. We were there in early spring and a magnolia bloomed in the front with cherry trees ablaze all around town. Traffic this time of year is scant. We were able to get around and visit all of the sights. In fact, we were probably early, as the tourist season seems to begin closer to Memorial Day (May 31) at which time the Gardenview's owner will be done with her school teaching and more available to help out with guests. Nevertheless, we had a very good time and loved the location and our accommodations.

Room Tip: 1st floor Garden view room has a queen and access to the lovely garden. 2nd floor room has a king b...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed there for two nights and it was great. The room is big and very comfortable. The place is so quiet and we enjoyed the sound of the birds in the morning!Mary was such a great hostess and we loved the breakfast she cooked. Her house is very well located in fact as close to the cliff walk and the mansions. Also by car it is a 5-10mn drive to the city center. It was my boyfriend's birthday gift and he loved it so much!
If we were to come back to Newport, we will definitly come back at this B&B. Merci for everything and a big hug to Fitsy!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed for two nights in the Sun-Lite Suite and enjoyed it very much. The room is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The inn is located in a residential section of town, so it is quiet. It is also a ten to fiteen minute walk to Thames Street, Cliff Walk and many restaurants. Mary the owner is very nice and accomodating, and prepared great breakfasts.

This is a very good choice if you are looking for a quiet B&B in a residential setting, away from the noise of downtown but close enough to walk to most everything you want to do in Newport.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gardenview Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!